How We Fared After Trade Week

Remove this Banner Ad

The Shev

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
This trade week, we were promised a lot and I was quite confident we could get at least 2 good players. But, we only ended up signing one player in Ben Holland, which we got for Pick 20 from Richmond. Jacobs, Rawlings or Stevens didn't arrive, but at the same time that meant we were able to keep our Pick 5, aswell as Pick 3.

So how did we end up?

Well, we got a key position player in Ben Holland for a fair draft pick. Holland is a decent player and can play at either end. He will bring experience, strength and height to our team, especially as our key centre half back (which has alternated between Ellis, Broadbridge, Bizzell, Ferguson, Miller & Carroll over the past 2 years) and he is also an option as a centre half forward (we haven't had a consistant CHF since Schwarz retired). So he can fill some important roles for us. As to whether he is good enough, some say he is, some say he isn't. In 2001 he was close to All-Australian. Then he did his knee. this year, Tiger supporters say he was hitting some good form. So I think he is capable. We saw how ND transformed Bizzell into a reliable and consistant defender for us, hopefully with a full pre-season he can do the same to Holland.

Draft picks wise, we lost Pick 20 but kept 3 & 5. We still have our 3rd rounder too, which will be Chris Johnson, and he is rated highly by some people. In the PSD, we have pick 3 and although Rawlings and Stevens will probably be taken, there is still some unsigned talent which we could end up with.

So overall, I'd say it was a 50-50 trade week, but with the drafts it will boost to a 70-30 in our favour.

Originally posted by The Shev
This trade week, we were promised a lot and I was quite confident we could get at least 2 good players. But, we only ended up signing one player in Ben Holland, which we got for Pick 20 from Richmond. Jacobs, Rawlings or Stevens didn't arrive, but at the same time that meant we were able to keep our Pick 5, aswell as Pick 3.

So how did we end up?

Well, we got a key position player in Ben Holland for a fair draft pick. Holland is a decent player and can play at either end. He will bring experience, strength and height to our team, especially as our key centre half back (which has alternated between Ellis, Broadbridge, Bizzell, Ferguson, Miller & Carroll over the past 2 years) and he is also an option as a centre half forward (we haven't had a consistant CHF since Schwarz retired). So he can fill some important roles for us. As to whether he is good enough, some say he is, some say he isn't. In 2001 he was close to All-Australian. Then he did his knee. this year, Tiger supporters say he was hitting some good form. So I think he is capable. We saw how ND transformed Bizzell into a reliable and consistant defender for us, hopefully with a full pre-season he can do the same to Holland.

Draft picks wise, we lost Pick 20 but kept 3 & 5. We still have our 3rd rounder too, which will be Chris Johnson, and he is rated highly by some people. In the PSD, we have pick 3 and although Rawlings and Stevens will probably be taken, there is still some unsigned talent which we could end up with.

So overall, I'd say it was a 50-50 trade week, but with the drafts it will boost to a 70-30 in our favour.

I don't think anyone doubts Holland's ability & work ethic but he's a big risk post knee Reco. I'll be interested to see how the bloke drafted at 20 goes.

Just glad we've kept 3 & 5.

It would've been nice to get a Solomon or Jacobs.

We haven't lost Thompson, Armstrong etc...

We've done ok.

I'm pretty disappointed in our efforts. We were promised alot, and we were delivered little. From what I can see, we were not agressive enough. We should have pushed harder for Danny Jacobs, given Essendon Pick #5 for Jacobs and their first rounder (Pick #13).

However, we still have two picks in the Top 5 which will guarantee us two gun players, as well as the chance to pick up someone half decent in the pre season draft (Notting? Bolton?)

Holland won't solve our problems, but he will no doubt contribute to improving the side and I'm looking forweard to seeing what he can do!

As a long time supporter, to be brutally honest I'm very annoyed with our efforts during trade week. Last week, you all saw the press conference with Corcoran, Daniher, Ellis & Ratten where Corcoran said what a great position the club was in & we had a fantastic opportunity to capitalise with so many good players wanting to change clubs. Daniher also said at the B&F that he'd spoken to many high profile players who told him they want to come play at the Melbourne Footy Club. Where are they???? We had two top 5 picks, & many players such as Wheatley, Lamb, Walsh & even Thompson all possible trade bait. Dont get me wrong I reckon these guys can play, but Daniher clearly doesnt cos he hasnt given them a chance.

Yes Ben Holland will be a useful addition to a backline that has struggled for many years. But I would have thought that players such as Rawlings, Stevens, even Jacobs are class players which would slot straight into our team. What Corcoran and his mates seem to have forgotten is that we finished 3rd bottom with only 5 wins, 1 more than Carlton. We had no major injuries, and our draw wasnt that bad. Yet we are going to start the new season with virtually the same line up that lost the last 8 games this year. Holland is no match winner. Yes the draft picks will probably be good players, but we dont exactly have a good track record of picking the best talent. Even if we do, they will be highly unlikely to play next year.

As you can probably tell Im pretty fed up with the lies and false promises that Daniher & Corcoran constantly feed us, but Im willing to give them one more chance.

Hopefully we'll work our arses of over the pre season and maybe we can be competitive again!

Go dees!

Originally posted by adsy
As a long time supporter, to be brutally honest I'm very annoyed with our efforts during trade week. Last week, you all saw the press conference with Corcoran, Daniher, Ellis & Ratten where Corcoran said what a great position the club was in & we had a fantastic opportunity to capitalise with so many good players wanting to change clubs. Daniher also said at the B&F that he'd spoken to many high profile players who told him they want to come play at the Melbourne Footy Club. Where are they???? We had two top 5 picks, & many players such as Wheatley, Lamb, Walsh & even Thompson all possible trade bait. Dont get me wrong I reckon these guys can play, but Daniher clearly doesnt cos he hasnt given them a chance.

Yes Ben Holland will be a useful addition to a backline that has struggled for many years. But I would have thought that players such as Rawlings, Stevens, even Jacobs are class players which would slot straight into our team. What Corcoran and his mates seem to have forgotten is that we finished 3rd bottom with only 5 wins, 1 more than Carlton. We had no major injuries, and our draw wasnt that bad. Yet we are going to start the new season with virtually the same line up that lost the last 8 games this year. Holland is no match winner. Yes the draft picks will probably be good players, but we dont exactly have a good track record of picking the best talent. Even if we do, they will be highly unlikely to play next year.

As you can probably tell Im pretty fed up with the lies and false promises that Daniher & Corcoran constantly feed us, but Im willing to give them one more chance.

Hopefully we'll work our arses of over the pre season and maybe we can be competitive again!

Go dees!

Yes all good points. Lip service is all we seem to get. Still reckon we're better off keeping #3 & #5, we should be able to add two gun midfielders who should impact the side early on.

I've got to disagree with the no significant injuries line.

White, No. 1 ruckman, posterior cruciate, shin (not much good after the knee against West Coast)

Nico, No. 1 FB, recovering knee reco, missed half season and no pre season

Ellis, No 1 CHB, same as Nico except he managed to injure his knee again

Bell, No. 1 draft choice 2002, tendons in hand, missed half the season

Molan, No. 1 draft choice 2001, knee reco

Breese, knee reco, not a significant player but took away options

Jolly, pnuemonia during preseason, significant loss of training

Vardy, achilles

Arma, Bali not a great preseason

Broadbridge, recovered from serious knee injury then the shoulder needed reconstruction

Yze, shoulder

Then you add to that Brown, Moorcroft, Bruce and Johnstone (and others) at times during the year. I reckon we had fairly significant injuries.

Was it the reason we were crap? No, but it did contribute.

As far as trade week went. Holland may be okay, time will tell. Now they need to use 3 & 5 for the right type of players. It's not the clubs fault that the 3 players they had a real dip at (Stevens, Rawlings and Solomon) all changed the minds about one thing or another.

Remove this Banner Ad

How We Fared After Trade Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back