Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit baffled by this one. Had him delisted at the end of the year, averaging 12 touches and is getting a game off the back of a ‘strong’ 16 disposal game. Curtin, Edwards etc must be scratching their head.

Good stuff, but does this mean Taylor gets a full game, or is dropped?
Taylor will surely get a full game, Burns was talking it up as a fair chance yesterday on Blight and Wildys show.
So Jones for Hinge? Taylor In Full Game for Rankine, Bond as the Super Defense Sub after Their Mosquito Fleet have Kicked 8 Goals between them. Genius.

Yeah, look, I didn't have this one on the 2024 bingo card.

Good luck to the kid, but to say I'm shocked and baffled is an understatement.

Considering we're playing the Saints, he probably ends up BOG this week - as a new and creative way for the football gods to torment that fan base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit baffled by this one. Had him delisted at the end of the year, averaging 12 touches and is getting a game off the back of a ‘strong’ 16 disposal game. Curtin, Edwards etc must be scratching their head.
He's playing as a lockdown small defender, using his average disposals is utterly pointless. Has been in especially strong form the last month and just most recently shutdown one of the most dangerous SANFL small forwards.

I reckon given that King is out and Saints played smaller last week, they thought it was a good week to give him a job at AFL level.

Good luck Hughie, always exciting to see a debutant.
I hope we don't do the 1 quarter sub again

I also thought Oskar might have played before him ?
He seems to have a more rounded game

Well, I didn't expect this. He has had a good month as a small defender so maybe he's being brought in to have a crack at Higgins?

Will likely start as the sub though.

In the last 4 games Hugh Bond has recorded..... as a lockdown small defender.... 3 tackles.

Not 3 tackles on average, 3 tackles total...

Possessions in the 4 games have looked like 12 (7 handballs), 14 (7 handballs) 8 (5 handballs) and 16 (7 handballs)

I wish the young lad all the best, and I hope he proves me wrong, but everything on the face of it looks like a very strange selection.

Oscar Ryan must be scratching his head. Curtin IMO is cooked for the season and they're just trialling him in different positions, I don't think we'll see him again in the seniors this season.

And in round 9 and 12. No Bests listed in round 10 and round 11 was a bye.

Not going to bother any further back than that, clearly somebody at the club has liked what he's been doing for a while now
Gets the job on every SANFL' team's best small/medium forward every week and does the job he's been set resolutely sacrificing his own game to cut the oppo's dangerous forwards output, completely blanketed arguably the SANFL's most dangerous forward Aiden Grace, holding him goaless and to just 5 possies @93.8%DE, also snuck in 2 stoppage clearances, 2 score involvements and 3 intercepts along with his 16 possies. Might even get a run on ball because essentially he played almost all his footy as a junior in the midfield, probably wishful thinking on my part there though.

In the last 4 games Hugh Bond has recorded..... as a lockdown small defender.... 3 tackles.

Possessions in the 4 games have looked like 12 (7 handballs), 14 (7 handballs) 8 (5 handballs) and 16 (7 handballs)

I wish the young lad all the best, and I hope he proves me wrong, but everything on the face of it looks like a very strange selection.

Oscar Ryan must be scratching his head. Curtin IMO is cooked for the season and they're just trialling him in different positions, I don't think we'll see him again in the seniors this season.
How has his opponent gone, that's what's most important when you're doing a lockdown job.

Gets the job on every SANFL' team's best small/medium forward every week and does the job he's been set resolutely sacrificing his own game to cut the oppo's dangerous forwards output, completely blanketed arguably the SANFL's most dangerous forward Aiden Grace, holding him goaless and to just 5 possies @93.8%, also snuck in 2 stoppage clearances, 2 score involvements and 3 intercepts along with his 16 possies. Might even get a run on ball because essentially he played almost all his footy as a junior in the midfield, probably wishful thinking on my part there though.
Cheers - there's a whiff of Luke Brown about this.

Another pointless stat. Read any of bigman or Mutineer analyses on him to actually understand what role he is playing this season.

Surprising that he’s jumped ahead of Ryan, given how they’ve both played this season.

Maybe a specific player they have in mind for Bond to match up with?

Higgins perhaps?

The other possibility is we're about to change up Michalanney role and need a new "small" defender.

Yeah, that's not any cause for concern.

It's counter-intuitive, but defenders record the least amount of tackles/pressure acts of the three sectors, with the cut off for being an 'elite tackler' this year as a general defender being 3 per game. It's 4 for a general forward and 5.6 for a midfielder. Even with that cut-off, most of the general defenders who are >2 tackles a game are half back flankers.

Last edited:

Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back