Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really. It actually makes sense.

The majority of fans who post on this forum would be AFL fans. How many watch the reserves side?

and if they did, they probably have their own SANFL club they watch and support far more closely. Meaning if someone like Hugh Bond plays SANFL for the Crows, they only see him 2 or maybe 3 times a season.

Football is very unique in South Australia and the Adelaide Football Club are unlike many other club, except maybe West Coast Eagles.

To be fair on this, I think most of us who watch the reserves sides with any level of frequency had Bond on the delist pile.

I can say I saw absolutely nothing of value in him as a footballer in the handful of reserve games I watched in the last two games.

To be fair on this, I think most of us who watch the reserves sides with any level of frequency had Bond on the delist pile.

I can say I saw absolutely nothing of value in him as a footballer in the handful of reserve games I watched in the last two games.
I think that's fair.

You saw absolutely nothing in him completely destroying the SANFL's most outstanding medium forward Central's Aiden Grace holding him to 5 disposals and goaless?

I had Bond behind Curtin, Dowling, Taylor and Ryan as a potential debutant this year. He has certainly improved steadily this year but he is not the type of player to attract the attention of most Bigfooty posters. I am not pointing the finger at anyone posting in this thread but I often feel that the opinions of some posters is based on the highlights and checking the stats.

How often are players written off by posters if they don’t debut in their first season (Worrell, Nankervis, Dowling). I am uncertain whether Bond will develop into a best 22 player but I am happy to give it a couple of years to see what happens.

I had Bond behind Curtin, Dowling, Taylor and Ryan as a potential debutant this year. He has certainly improved steadily this year but he is not the type of player to attract the attention of most Bigfooty posters. I am not pointing the finger at anyone posting in this thread but I often feel that the opinions of some posters is based on the highlights and checking the stats.

How often are players written off by posters if they don’t debut in their first season (Worrell, Nankervis, Dowling). I am uncertain whether Bond will develop into a best 22 player but I am happy to give it a couple of years to see what happens.
Opinions are forged by the amount of media hype a player receives ......in fact most opinions follow the media hype train

Jury is out still on Bond ....however he hasn't looked flustered in his games thus far

Do we need another Robert Shirley type though ?

Opinions are forged by the amount of media hype a player receives ......in fact most opinions follow the media hype train

Jury is out still on Bond ....however he hasn't looked flustered in his games thus far

Yes we do. 2024 is the year the tagger(run with) player has made a comeback.
I've watched Bond closely in the SANFL and he has improved so much from last year. Really worked hard on himself and his game.
Now we need to give Oscar Ryan a game. Edwards next year.

In the Trumpian World I guess it is fair enough to make up any facts to support your agenda. I have probably seen Daniel Curtin play live more often than 99% of the Bigfooty posters. One poster said this week that Curtin had been BOG for the last 2 weeks in the SANFL. I have been delighted with his recent progress but 2 X BOGs???

I checked the SANFL Player of the Year Award.
Round 13 - McHenry 3, Bond 2, Grant 1
Round 14 - Lowe 3, Ling 2, Curtin 1
Round 15 - Madgen 3, Schoenberg 2, Coombe 1

Now don’t get me wrong, I really hope that Curtin gets a game this week but imagine the outrage if Ned is picked and Daniel misses out.

I must admit, I definitely got this one wrong….i had him on the easy delist pile.

Besides locking down players, his ground ball gets and distribution have been great. He’s such a little nugget that he doesn’t get pushed off the ball or tackled easily.

I’ve watched 2/3 of the SANFL games online and didn’t see much….although the quality of camera work and commentary can make it a little difficult to distinguish between players at times.

I must admit, I definitely got this one wrong….i had him on the easy delist pile.

Besides locking down players, his ground ball gets and distribution have been great. He’s such a little nugget that he doesn’t get pushed off the ball or tackled easily.

I’ve watched 2/3 of the SANFL games online and didn’t see much….although the quality of camera work and commentary can make it a little difficult to distinguish between players at times.
Nice little surprise didn’t see it coming but don’t watch the SANFl much but a real competitor, fast, hard checking and HARD at it

Inevitable he gets a 2 year extension now IMO

It's cool when a player actually gets an extended chance at AFL level and performs better than expected.

SANFL form should mean very little to a club like us

Has something plus there's a role there to fill that others can't.

The absolute key is that he keeps improving.

This is where so many of our players have fallen down previously. They start playing "their role" and stagnate rather than make incremental improvements.

His ground level defensive stuff looks like a strength. Hands seem sound, tackling good, doesn't get lost against slippery forwards at stoppages. Needs to tidy up kicking, aerial defensive work and provide a bit more rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't recall the Port forward (maybe Dixon?) but he competed well outside of his size in a marking contest and brought the ball to ground. Was super impressive.

I love his toughness which is something we don't have a heap of in our side.

I can't recall the Port forward (maybe Dixon?) but he competed well outside of his size in a marking contest and brought the ball to ground. Was super impressive.

I love his toughness which is something we don't have a heap of in our side.
He is one of those players that given the right role has performed better at AFL level then SANFL level. The higher the level, he has raised his game accordingly and that says he has a real AFL future in that role

He is one of those players that given the right role has performed better at AFL level then SANFL level. The higher the level, he has raised his game accordingly and that says he has a real AFL future in that role

Just shows how little can be taken from a player playing every week in suburban mud pits against semi-professional footballers.

Just shows how little can be taken from a player playing every week in suburban mud pits against semi-professional footballers.
CTID is spot-on in this case, but I don't think you can generalise. He is the exception, rather than the rule.
It's interesting to ponder this. Maybe it's true for staid role-players, but not for A+ players?

You saw absolutely nothing in him completely destroying the SANFL's most outstanding medium forward Central's Aiden Grace holding him to 5 disposals and goaless?
I think most had either completely written him off by then - which I would include myself in - or were saying that he needed to be tried in different positions, like the midfield.

I think it's a good sign that the club persevered.

It has not been a good week for the club. Some good news would be appreciated and the Bond resigning for a further two years would be a good start

He has improved out of sight this year and Bicks early call on him has been vindicated. I was very concerned at end of last year and beginning of 2024.

I see him as a possible rob shirley style stopper and/or run with player.

He has good size, good endurance, some pace and good skill base.

He looks to be a good clubman and one who enjoys the physicality of the contest and who has good mental discipline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back