Universal Love Humble pie with a side of egg on face - Premiership edition - omnomomnomom

Remove this Banner Ad

- Gawn as captain initially didn't strike me as the right move
- Was losing faith in Goody last year
- Was definitely not sold on getting rid of Hogan for May
- Didn't believe the spiel from the club that 2019 (Edit: whoops wrote 2018 accidentally) was a blip and that we were assuredly on the way up again (back 'from hell') - thought we could have finished anywhere on the ladder this year.

Last edited:

Obviously Brown copped it hard from me. But he played a very specific role and didn't become and over focus of our forward line at all, in fact decoyed for Fritta which was brilliant coaching.

Sparrow I thought was bland. He's anything but.

Jordan gets nothing from me he can get stuffed. Same with Hunt. Carried by an elite team around him

Always way too harsh. Wagner brothers didn't have a lot of talent but they gave everything they had when they played.
It’s like my Matt Jones thing there for a while. I didn’t dislike him for his effort and he wasn’t a bad player at all. But he was a on-the-cusp type player in an ordinary team and every time he was picked I saw it as this kind of symbol that we weren’t very good

The biggest humble pie for me I’d say was recruiting Lever and May (Kolodjashnij), we definitely paid premium to get those guys and it was unheard of at the time to pay so much for defenders. But all year it has looked like pure brilliance and obviously was so far ahead of its time.

So it’s a massive tip of my hat to the recruiting guys, list manager and the coaching staff too. Couldn’t be any happier with the results.

Viney under represented in here I reckon, I don’t think anyone saw him getting back to the fitness and form he showed this finals campaign. Had become a turnover merchant at times during the H&A and actually used the ball well in these finals, massive credit to him.
Nah, loud minority went full derp on him for whatever reason. Has always been an awesome grunt with haphazard kicking. Has always been a finals type player. He got healthy and Trac and Oliver realised they were guns and started ****ing moving with the ball which helped. Even if he didn't get fit he would have played a flank or whatever and murdered a bunch of guys and earned his keep.

Nah, loud minority went full derp on him for whatever reason. Has always been an awesome grunt with haphazard kicking. Has always been a finals type player. He got healthy and Trac and Oliver realised they were guns and started ******* moving with the ball which helped. Even if he didn't get fit he would have played a flank or whatever and murdered a bunch of guys and earned his keep.
He’s still the same player he was, but his downsides are less of a liability when Petracca and Oliver have gone next level and are so good now at bringing their teammates into the game, which also makes his grunt work so much more valuable. At the end of last year though it looked like one of them needed to be moved on to freshen up the midfield and he was the most obvious piece to move on a talent/age level. Clearly now MFC for life.

He’s still the same player he was, but his downsides are less of a liability when Petracca and Oliver have gone next level and are so good now at bringing their teammates into the game, which also makes his grunt work so much more valuable. At the end of last year though it looked like one of them needed to be moved on to freshen up the midfield and he was the most obvious piece to move on a talent/age level. Clearly now MFC for life.
His role is perfect as a grunt rover/bulldozer, the stars realising that they were more powerful and quicker off the mark than their opponents was so ****ing overdue. Oliver especially, Petracca needed self belief I guess, was always powerful, needed to realise nobody could tackle him when he was moving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn’t need too . That’s Viney job ;)
I get it and it'll save him a dozen or so missed suspension games but life would be easier for him if guys had to worry about him. Viney is like 80% his size and most guys are afraid of him.

During the pre-season I also remembered thinking our forward line looked like one of the weakest in the league and had no idea how we'd be able to post decent scores.

Turns out a strong defence was the key anyway, high scoring midfield spread and some reliable pillars up forward made for a fantastic system.

Obviously Brown copped it hard from me. But he played a very specific role and didn't become and over focus of our forward line at all, in fact decoyed for Fritta which was brilliant coaching.

Sparrow I thought was bland. He's anything but.

Jordan gets nothing from me he can get stuffed. Same with Hunt. Carried by an elite team around him

Same pretty sure I called him underwhelming (might have been chandler) regardless didn't think he added much to the team besides forward pressure. I just re-watched the second half of the gf and his kicking was unreal he doesn't waste it. That goal he kicked in the 3rd quarter was unbelievable, firstly peeled off Daniels was quite clever, he then took 1 or two steps and from 50 with players coming at him kicked it straight through the middle.

The biggest humble pie for me I’d say was recruiting Lever and May (Kolodjashnij), we definitely paid premium to get those guys and it was unheard of at the time to pay so much for defenders. But all year it has looked like pure brilliance and obviously was so far ahead of its time.

So it’s a massive tip of my hat to the recruiting guys, list manager and the coaching staff too. Couldn’t be any happier with the results.

David kings the biggest culprit here. In 19/20 he said no team in history had spent like we had on the defence and it would never work

I get it and it'll save him a dozen or so missed suspension games but life would be easier for him if guys had to worry about him. Viney is like 80% his size and most guys are afraid of him.
Guys? I’m kind of afraid of him

David kings the biggest culprit here. In 19/20 he said no team in history had spent like we had on the defence and it would never work

Kingy hedges his bets a ton, I think he brings some solid analysis to the game but I really hate how he always makes a bunch of different calls every year. Waffled all year about Geelong, even when we beat them in round 23 all he did was talk about Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back