Review Dees v Eagles and the Ghost of Murray Wrensted: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waterman is my new favourite player. Works so hard and earns his goals with strength and craft. Even when our key forwards kick multiple goals, it's all opportunistic scrap or free kicks. That's the difference, Waterman relies on himself and as a result is consistent, where as ours rely on the ball bouncing the right way.

Our midfield is bloody embarrassing. Can't execute skills, can't link up, can't stick an effective tackle. It's like we've gone back five years with our "inside bulls" bashing heads over the same ball and the opposition sitting on the outside waiting for us to fumble it to them.

Is Lever's on field coaching so important after all these years? Our defensive structure totally fell apart.

One play stood out with Windsor running down the wing. The camera showed four one on one match ups in our forward 50, every single Melbourne forward ran away from Windsor. It's like they're expecting him to kick it 70 metres. What the actual ****? There was so much space to lead up into, could have been an easy 30m pass to get to 50m out and Windsor could have kept running to receive and create from there. Instead he tries to kick over the defence, and it's easy pickings for the defenders.

I'd love to know what is being said internally. In any modern workplace, if something isn't working, the workers are encouraged to challenge the status quo and champion change. But for years our players are happy doing what they're told. Culture is shit.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Waterman is my new favourite player. Works so hard and earns his goals with strength and craft. Even when our key forwards kick multiple goals, it's all opportunistic scrap or free kicks. That's the difference, Waterman relies on himself and as a result is consistent, where as ours rely on the ball bouncing the right way.

Our midfield is bloody embarrassing. Can't execute skills, can't link up, can't stick an effective tackle. It's like we've gone back five years with our "inside bulls" bashing heads over the same ball and the opposition sitting on the outside waiting for us to fumble it to them.

Is Lever's on field coaching so important after all these years? Our defensive structure totally fell apart.

One play stood out with Windsor running down the wing. The camera showed four one on one match ups in our forward 50, every single Melbourne forward ran away from Windsor. It's like they're expecting him to kick it 70 metres. What the actual heck? There was so much space to lead up into, could have been an easy 30m pass to get to 50m out and Windsor could have kept running to receive and create from there. Instead he tries to kick over the defence, and it's easy pickings for the defenders.

I'd love to know what is being said internally. In any modern workplace, if something isn't working, the workers are encouraged to challenge the status quo and champion change. But for years our players are happy doing what they're told. Culture is s**t.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Forwards leading away from the ball carrier??

Nah surely not...

I've said it before and I will say it again, if Greg Stafford remains our forward line coach we will not win another premiership.

He should be sacked immediately.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if Greg Stafford remains our forward line coach we will not win another premiership.

We're well beyond that now.

This falls at the feet of the guy coaching the coaches.

Let's not get carried away.
Things are crook and there is, clearly, a club/coaching problem, or two, or three ...

Time to move in with the pressure cleaner. Coaching heads must roll.

There's a part of me that is looking forward to life after May and Gawn because Goodwin won't be able to rely on having a gun key back and an all time ruck to cover his arse anymore.

As a coach, John Northey had the ability to get the best out of a very ordinary player list.
Our coaches do the opposite. They get the worst out of a good list.

There's a part of me that is looking forward to life after May and Gawn because Goodwin won't be able to rely on having a gun key back and an all time ruck to cover his arse anymore.
It is like imaging carnage thinking of what would happen when we don't have Gawn then May down the line

We might have to exclusively move the ball within 5m of the boundary line to try and stop them kicking over 70

It is like imaging carnage thinking of what would happen when we don't have Gawn then May down the line

We might have to exclusively move the ball within 5m of the boundary line to try and stop them kicking over 70
The style we play would be impossible without those guys. Only thing I could imagine that would actually force change at this point.

The style we play would be impossible without those guys. Only thing I could imagine that would actually force change at this point.
Except somehow you just know it'll be goody sitting in a room going ok how can we make the style more defensive to cover for them

Simon's presser was a laugh, "If people haven't figured out how tight the competition is, they should watch more footy!!".

Excellent.
Jesus, what a cop-out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBB 3 disposals, 53 metres gained, 80% game time.
May was slightly better, 101 metres gained (I could do that with 2 kicks).

I watched about twenty minutes of the game and I didn't see a single inside 50. Not one.
BBB would have kicked 10 if he had Harley Reid and his no-name mates delivering it to him.

Our midfield ****ing sucks these days. Oliver has fallen off a cliff, Viney is a shell of what he was last year, and Sparrow is just plain hopeless. Only Trac gets a pass and even he hasn't been at his best this season.

I honestly think that finishing outside the 8 will be an accurate reflection of how overrated our list really is.

The criticisms of BBB can fairly be applied to Petty, but for some reason this board gives him a free pass.
Petty 5 disposals, 112 metres gained, 75% game time.

As you can see Petty gained twice as much distance, and almost double the number of disposals.
A real Demon.

Was #ATG and it was a miserable experience in person, Reid is an absolute star and the locals go bananas every time he's near it. Never seen so many Melbourne tackles broken, it looked like a team on the up VS a team on the down.

Best part was the the Eagles fans tbh, I reckon the couple years being a laughing stock has taught them some humility which was lacking in previous years. The fellas I had around me were great and I had some good tactical chats on the train home. Much better than Freo fans IMO

Dee's can get in the bin though, the cliff is here and we are falling off it

Was #ATG and it was a miserable experience in person, Reid is an absolute star and the locals go bananas every time he's near it. Never seen so many Melbourne tackles broken, it looked like a team on the up VS a team on the down.

Best part was the the Eagles fans tbh, I reckon the couple years being a laughing stock has taught them some humility which was lacking in previous years. The fellas I had around me were great and I had some good tactical chats on the train home. Much better than Freo fans IMO

Dee's can get in the bin though, the cliff is here and we are falling off it
It won't last lol.

Disposal Efficiency
The bottom 3 revealed.

Tom McDonald 46.7% from 15.
Caleb Windsor 46.2% from 13.
Harrison Petty 20.0% from 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back