Jindera
Murray Magpies
BB Saints
Howlong
CDHBU
Rennie
Coleambally
Billabong Crows

A fifteen team comp ! Will it be 14 rounds where everyone plays each other once, and has a bye ? Or something different ?
If the League wants to stay at its current 20 rounds more than half the clubs will play each other only once. How do you work out a fair draw then ? Lots of questions. Are clubs happy with the Coreen League teams coming in ? Is it a done deal ?

Ridiculous and virtually unworkable to include Coleambally and Rennie.
CDHBU and BC are bearable, but not ideal.
Holbrook and Culcairn left the TDFL to reduce travelling, especially for the juniors.
They might as well head back to the hills, as it's closer to head to Mitta etc especially for all of the Albury based players, than go to Coleambally.

Imagine the petrol money the already overpaid players will be demanding.

Also it will be difficult & more expensive for clubs to attract Albury based players as they will prefer to play in the TDFL with reduced travelling.
This will kill some of the smaller clubs as they try to compete with larger more powerful HFL clubs.

The HFL is going well this year, as all clubs have 4 teams.
BB Saints are struggling but with a stable league with no changes they may be able to strengthen up over a couple of years.

It would not be a surprise to see a revolt amongst existing Hume Clubs

Here Is Something For Everyone To Ponder If These Sides From The Coreen Come In There Are Two Sides In The Hume League That Would Be Sitting Quite Uncomfortable At The Moment They Are Lockhart And Osborne They Sit Out On Their Own And Who Knows What The Nsw/act League Might Do They May Wish To Strengthen The Farrah League Osborne May Wish They Were Not So Arrogant To Some Of The Hume Sides When They Came Interested What Other Scribes Might Think;)

Here Is Something For Everyone To Ponder If These Sides From The Coreen Come In There Are Two Sides In The Hume League That Would Be Sitting Quite Uncomfortable At The Moment They Are Lockhart And Osborne They Sit Out On Their Own And Who Knows What The Nsw/act League Might Do They May Wish To Strengthen The Farrah League Osborne May Wish They Were Not So Arrogant To Some Of The Hume Sides When They Came Interested What Other Scribes Might Think;)

Interesting thoughts, and not irrelevent. But why the need for all the caps - makes your copy hard to read.

The farrer league point is an interesting one, as i wasn't that long ago that the whispers were of a shakeup up there and TRYC and MCUE were to head to the hume.
It's conceivable to think that if the 14 or 15 team comp that it looks like its gonna be is the shmozzle that everyone knows its going to be, there might be a push for clubs like Henty, Osborne and Lockhart to go that way.
Of course, its more likely that when 2-3 struggling clubs in the 14-15 team comp fold within the first 2-3 years, the comp will be even again and the problem will 'fix itself'.
Which in the end is what the VCFL and NSW/ACT AFL want to happen. The pricks.

Ridiculous and virtually unworkable to include Coleambally and Rennie.
CDHBU and BC are bearable, but not ideal.
Holbrook and Culcairn left the TDFL to reduce travelling, especially for the juniors.
They might as well head back to the hills, as it's closer to head to Mitta etc especially for all of the Albury based players, than go to Coleambally.

Imagine the petrol money the already overpaid players will be demanding.

Also it will be difficult & more expensive for clubs to attract Albury based players as they will prefer to play in the TDFL with reduced travelling.
This will kill some of the smaller clubs as they try to compete with larger more powerful HFL clubs.

The HFL is going well this year, as all clubs have 4 teams.
BB Saints are struggling but with a stable league with no changes they may be able to strengthen up over a couple of years.

It would not be a surprise to see a revolt amongst existing Hume Clubs
I agree 100% with you hornet! I think this may have a major affect on the Hume League and the recruiting ability of the clubs. Will this make the Tallangatta League more appealing to the Albury/Wodonga based players?

I agree 100% with you hornet! I think this may have a major affect on the Hume League and the recruiting ability of the clubs. Will this make the Tallangatta League more appealing to the Albury/Wodonga based players?

No doubt, especially now with bypass through getting from Thurgoona, Lavy or Nth Alb to clubs such as Chiltern, Barny and Kiewa is only a 15-20min drive and Yack, Tallangatta and Rutherglen 30mins. It would be a sad decision if the VCFL and NSW AFL decide to restructure a successful and solid competition to keep clubs alive (CDFL clubs) that are obviously struggling to survive due to travel. Not sure of the solution but the future not looking to rosy for some clubs. Maybe a more travel firendly league could cover the current Holbrook Cricket Association (similar to current HFL area) of Osborne, Lockhart, Holbrook, Henty, Cul, TRYC, MCU (until recently) and add Walbundrie, Brock/Burrum and Walla moving Howlong south to the Tallangatta League with Wahgunyah.

No doubt, especially now with bypass through getting from Thurgoona, Lavy or Nth Alb to clubs such as Chiltern, Barny and Kiewa is only a 15-20min drive and Yack, Tallangatta and Rutherglen 30mins. It would be a sad decision if the VCFL and NSW AFL decide to restructure a successful and solid competition to keep clubs alive (CDFL clubs) that are obviously struggling to survive due to travel. Not sure of the solution but the future not looking to rosy for some clubs. Maybe a more travel firendly league could cover the current Holbrook Cricket Association (similar to current HFL area) of Osborne, Lockhart, Holbrook, Henty, Cul, TRYC, MCU (until recently) and add Walbundrie, Brock/Burrum and Walla moving Howlong south to the Tallangatta League with Wahgunyah.

Clubs such as Culcairn, Holbrook and Henty should not go in the Wagga direction if TRYC and MCU are included.
This is what happened in the late 1970's when a lot of these towns young people started to move to Albury for work etc, and it was impossible to keep them, and they would go and play for clubs closer to Albury.
A 2 division Albury Wodonga district league with clubs all within 50-60 Km of Albury in all directions (N,S,E and W)would be ideal, but probably wont ever happen.

Farrer League - 10 Teams - Northern Jets, Marrar, CAK, TRYC, Temora, Rivcoll, Osborne, Lockhart, Culcairn, Henty
Hume League - 10 Teams - Walla, RW Tigers, Jindera, Murray Magpies, BB Saints, Howlong, CDHBU, Rennie, Coleambally, Billabong Crows
Tallangatta League - 13 Teams - Holbrook, Wod Saints, Tallangatta, Chiltern, Dederang MB, Beechworth, Thurgoona, KSC, Mitta, Rutherglen, Yackandandah, Barnawartha, Wahgunyah

Above would be a much more evenly spread competition based purely on location and travel etc., but my major concerns are the strength of the former Hume clubs in the Farrer may be far too strong. Could you imagine Osborne playing Rivcoll? The other major concern would be the fact that the majority of Henty and Culcairns locals that have grown up through their clubs ranks now reside in Albury - both these clubs could have significant losses of numbers if a move like this were to take place.

As previous posts have suggested it could be detremental to the competition to try and feild 15 teams. I struggle to see how the comp can remain even without a two teir system with 8 teams in division 1 and 7 in div 2 with a promotion/relegation type system. But then we still havn't adressed the travel situation have we?

So what is the solution?

I don't know. Can anyone say they have come up with a solution that can keep everyone happy? I think no matter what happens people will be disapointed in one way or another. The best thing we can do is to keep an open mind, be willing to think outside the square and work with each other to create the best possible outcome.

I don't think the NSW/ACT AFL are going to come up with the best solution. I agree with Swamp Creature and his thoughts that they believe it will work itself out in a couple of years. It is up to us at club level to find the right solution and put it to the "superiors" to ponder.

Very interested in others thoughts, remembering that we really might need to think laterally.

Farrer League - 10 Teams - Northern Jets, Marrar, CAK, TRYC, Temora, Rivcoll, Osborne, Lockhart, Culcairn, Henty
Hume League - 10 Teams - Walla, RW Tigers, Jindera, Murray Magpies, BB Saints, Howlong, CDHBU, Rennie, Coleambally, Billabong Crows
Tallangatta League - 13 Teams - Holbrook, Wod Saints, Tallangatta, Chiltern, Dederang MB, Beechworth, Thurgoona, KSC, Mitta, Rutherglen, Yackandandah, Barnawartha, Wahgunyah

Above would be a much more evenly spread competition based purely on location and travel etc., but my major concerns are the strength of the former Hume clubs in the Farrer may be far too strong. Could you imagine Osborne playing Rivcoll? The other major concern would be the fact that the majority of Henty and Culcairns locals that have grown up through their clubs ranks now reside in Albury - both these clubs could have significant losses of numbers if a move like this were to take place.

As previous posts have suggested it could be detremental to the competition to try and feild 15 teams. I struggle to see how the comp can remain even without a two teir system with 8 teams in division 1 and 7 in div 2 with a promotion/relegation type system. But then we still havn't adressed the travel situation have we?

So what is the solution?

I don't know. Can anyone say they have come up with a solution that can keep everyone happy? I think no matter what happens people will be disapointed in one way or another. The best thing we can do is to keep an open mind, be willing to think outside the square and work with each other to create the best possible outcome.

I don't think the NSW/ACT AFL are going to come up with the best solution. I agree with Swamp Creature and his thoughts that they believe it will work itself out in a couple of years. It is up to us at club level to find the right solution and put it to the "superiors" to ponder.

Very interested in others thoughts, remembering that we really might need to think laterally.

Gobbles - I'm from the CDFL. I like the look of your Hume League proposal. We'd like to keep our own league going but I think we're buggered. We don't want to be seen to come over and stuff up the good league you already have over there. Your solution above looks very good but it involves a lot of clubs having to change leagues and we know how many clubs cannot think laterally. Well done anyway on a positive suggestion and worth considering by the league authorities.

Well we were beaten yesterday by the best team in the league by a mile.Their backline just strangles you and they keep putting scoreboard pressure on.We didnt play well,but who does against the mighty Osborne Cats.The news we were all dreading rang out in our ears after the game when Mark said he was standing down at the end of the year.He has said that he may stay on next year as a player,so hopefully he will still be in the red and white for a while yet.It will be interesting to see who puts their hand up to do the job next year,Mark will be stepping down with the club in a very good position, hope we can send him off on a good note.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we were beaten yesterday by the best team in the league by a mile.Their backline just strangles you and they keep putting scoreboard pressure on.We didnt play well,but who does against the mighty Osborne Cats.The news we were all dreading rang out in our ears after the game when Mark said he was standing down at the end of the year.He has said that he may stay on next year as a player,so hopefully he will still be in the red and white for a while yet.It will be interesting to see who puts their hand up to do the job next year,Mark will be stepping down with the club in a very good position, hope we can send him off on a good note.:(

When was Henty's last flag?

So what is the solution?

That re-directed clubs to leagues seems quite good, with cul the exception, cul to temora bit far, why not just scrap that club by the billabong creek.

Osborne would beat the bushpigs quite comprehensively, although the pigs have been more than competitive the previous few weeks, leading in the second half of both games alas finishing short of that elusive first win.

The pigs will be better next year, thats one certainty.

And the pigs of 2007, when Uni holidays are not on, would still beat BB saints comfortably.

Jets would challenge all of the top four teams in hume as would Marrer and Gullie

My mail is that Brad Aitken to coach Lockart next yr, any truth in the rumor? I think he id from the Wagga area.

heard this week its a done deal, Brad Aiken will coach lockart next season, as J Wild will coach Gullie.

Aiken is a Gun Player and will improve the demons alot, has a few contacts in football and could built a fairly handy side.

Any body heard any more about the jason brown to coach henty rumour?

That re-directed clubs to leagues seems quite good, with cul the exception, cul to temora bit far, why not just scrap that club by the billabong creek.

Osborne would beat the bushpigs quite comprehensively, although the pigs have been more than competitive the previous few weeks, leading in the second half of both games alas finishing short of that elusive first win.

The pigs will be better next year, thats one certainty.

And the pigs of 2007, when Uni holidays are not on, would still beat BB saints comfortably.

Jets would challenge all of the top four teams in hume as would Marrer and Gullie

Absolutely stupid to suggest that Culcairn and Henty should move to a Wagga based league, both clubs will not be able to keep or attract any Albury based players, including those brought up in Henty or Cul.
Albury recruits are the majority, not Wagga based ones.
They will struggle to attract many Wagga based recruits due to so many clubs closer to Wagga.
I guess people dont remeber why Henty went to the Hume and Culcairn to the Tallangatta in the early 80's - they could not keep local juniors who were moving toward Albury and could not recruit good players to travel to Wagga.
This situation is now even more relevant as without Albury based recruits and ex-locals living in Albury these 2 clubs would not exist.

Absolutely stupid to suggest that Culcairn and Henty should move to a Wagga based league, both clubs will not be able to keep or attract any Albury based players, including those brought up in Henty or Cul.
They will struggle to attract many Wagga based recruits due to so many clubs closer to Wagga.
I guess people dont remeber why Henty went to the Hume and Culcairn to the Tallangatta in the early 80's - they could not keep local juniors who were moving toward Albury and could not recruit good players to travel to Wagga.
This situation is now even more relevant as without Albury based recruits and ex-locals living in Albury these 2 clubs would not exist.

A club like Holbrook is in the same boat. Thinking of their 2004 flag side they had ex-local juniors in Whitley, Fairall, Semmler, Lazzarotto, Culph and Hickey (Mullengandra) all living in Albury and travelling out, on top of the locals and 6 or 7 Albury recruits. Clubs like Henty, Cul and Holbrook all rely on their Albury blokes to make up the numbers.

A club like Holbrook is in the same boat. Thinking of their 2004 flag side they had ex-local juniors in Whitley, Fairall, Semmler, Lazzarotto, Culph and Hickey (Mullengandra) all living in Albury and travelling out, on top of the locals and 6 or 7 Albury recruits. Clubs like Henty, Cul and Holbrook all rely on their Albury blokes to make up the numbers.

True Big Al, local juniors rarely play against their original clubs, but are open to going to similiar standard footy in another local league which has less travel.
In Henty, Holbrook and Culcairns case if they were forced toward Wagga, many of their locals based in Albury would be targeted by district clubs closer to Albury e.g Thurgoona, Murray Magpies, Jindera etc especially if an ex-local coaches another club.
Hobrook have found this with their Barny connection, but it would be much worse if Holbrook had to travel to Temora and Ardlethan.

If you read my post I actually stated this. I never said that that is what should happen, what I stated was that that was the most feasable option in reagards to distance and travel to keep the teams even.

I also wrote straight after that it would be hard for these teams to fuction if it happened. I happen to have grown up and played all my junior footy in Henty and now live in albury. So I totally understand this process better than most that it would be hard for these clubs to survive.

My whole post was a number of different options that may be implemented and pros and cons of each. I was meerly trying to encourage people to think about possible solutions and think outside the square a little.

In future read the post in full before being critical.

Any chance that the culcairn coach or someone tied up with the lions has put a big footy ban on the players or supporters.

Any chance that the culcairn coach or someone tied up with the lions has put a big footy ban on the players or supporters.
Wouldnt surprise me Beefy seeing he has put a swearing ban on them,iguess they are only allowed to talk and mingle with the rest of the freaks that live in the town.I dont think you will hear much out of them after this week as they will be flogged this week.Was talking to the Holbrook lads and even though the Lions touched them up,they dont rate them at all.Cocky was one term used.Big game for us against the Spiders this week,must win to gain the edge over them come finals time. Go SWAMPIES.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back