Hume FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've gotta say bowwow, i caught the henty game at walla on saturday and through my eyes your boys looked pretty shaky until the last quarter when walla ran out of legs............got that feeling Howlong will absolutely smash you blokes 50 points AT LEAST!!

also heard a bit of a rumour big westy was abit concerned about taking on Whiterod so he ruled himself out..............any truth to that???

Wouldnt surprise me Beefy seeing he has put a swearing ban on them,iguess they are only allowed to talk and mingle with the rest of the freaks that live in the town.I dont think you will hear much out of them after this week as they will be flogged this week.Was talking to the Holbrook lads and even though the Lions touched them up,they dont rate them at all.Cocky was one term used.Big game for us against the Spiders this week,must win to gain the edge over them come finals time. Go SWAMPIES.:D

Be careful Bowwow, remember you have to get over Jindera in the Elimination Final first!

Be careful Bowwow, remember you have to get over Jindera in the Elimination Final first!
Garland going down with a shoulder:thumbsdown: has got to hurt there chances from winning that game doesnt it . A couple more topics to talk about , who for the flag my pick osborne by around about 10 goals And who for the azzi medal there would have to be a few in the running for it .

Garland going down with a shoulder:thumbsdown: has got to hurt there chances from winning that game doesnt it . A couple more topics to talk about , who for the flag my pick osborne by around about 10 goals And who for the azzi medal there would have to be a few in the running for it .
Gilson (Culcairn) Edmunds (Holbrook) my picks

Gilson (Culcairn) Edmunds (Holbrook) my picks
Edmunds is my pick as well,uses the ball better than Gilson.Dont be surprised to see my man Mark up the top of the leaderboard ,and Sqeally Terlich wii win the 2nds by a mile.See the back page of yesterdays Advertiser,booze ban for the Lions,hope they wont have to play Sunday games as they will probably all be going to church next.:D

Edmunds is my pick as well,uses the ball better than Gilson.Dont be surprised to see my man Mark up the top of the leaderboard ,and Sqeally Terlich wii win the 2nds by a mile.See the back page of yesterdays Advertiser,booze ban for the Lions,hope they wont have to play Sunday games as they will probably all be going to church next.:D
Jesus bowwow your not happy with culcairn by the sounds of it . what about luke kohlhagen you reckon edmunds uses the ball well this bloke is a star .:thumbsu: Bug is up against it i reckon the umpires dont look to much past the middle these days . How the old swampies looking signed up all for next year :rolleyes:

Farrer League - 10 Teams - Northern Jets, Marrar, CAK, TRYC, Temora, Rivcoll, Osborne, Lockhart, Culcairn, Henty
Hume League - 10 Teams - Walla, RW Tigers, Jindera, Murray Magpies, BB Saints, Howlong, CDHBU, Rennie, Coleambally, Billabong Crows
Tallangatta League - 13 Teams - Holbrook, Wod Saints, Tallangatta, Chiltern, Dederang MB, Beechworth, Thurgoona, KSC, Mitta, Rutherglen, Yackandandah, Barnawartha, Wahgunyah

Above would be a much more evenly spread competition based purely on location and travel etc., but my major concerns are the strength of the former Hume clubs in the Farrer may be far too strong. Could you imagine Osborne playing Rivcoll? The other major concern would be the fact that the majority of Henty and Culcairns locals that have grown up through their clubs ranks now reside in Albury - both these clubs could have significant losses of numbers if a move like this were to take place.

As previous posts have suggested it could be detremental to the competition to try and feild 15 teams. I struggle to see how the comp can remain even without a two teir system with 8 teams in division 1 and 7 in div 2 with a promotion/relegation type system. But then we still havn't adressed the travel situation have we?

So what is the solution?

I don't know. Can anyone say they have come up with a solution that can keep everyone happy? I think no matter what happens people will be disapointed in one way or another. The best thing we can do is to keep an open mind, be willing to think outside the square and work with each other to create the best possible outcome.

I don't think the NSW/ACT AFL are going to come up with the best solution. I agree with Swamp Creature and his thoughts that they believe it will work itself out in a couple of years. It is up to us at club level to find the right solution and put it to the "superiors" to ponder.

Very interested in others thoughts, remembering that we really might need to think laterally.

I appreciate that you have given some thought to the whole situation Gobbles, and considered 3 leagues amongest it all. I acknowledge that you are trying to find a solution in what is an overpopulated environment,

However..... I am curious as to why you think that Holbrook should be in the Tallangatta League considering their location?

Surely it makes no sense for Holbrook to play in the TDFL against 11 teams from Victoria and 1 team from NSW (Thurgoona). Holbrook would be competitive, but it makes no sense at all when you consider location (i know they used to be in TDFL but im assuming location was the reason they reconsidered in the first place)

Of course - travel is a big issue for Colleambally (and all clubs who play against them) if they go to the Hume league.

From what I hear, if they tried to join the league that Griffith and Leeton etc are in, it would be better on location but they would not be competitive. Thus, giving the reason as to why Colly want to join the Hume league in 2008.

I appreciate that you have given some thought to the whole situation Gobbles, and considered 3 leagues amongest it all. I acknowledge that you are trying to find a solution in what is an overpopulated environment,

However..... I am curious as to why you think that Holbrook should be in the Tallangatta League considering their location?

Surely it makes no sense for Holbrook to play in the TDFL against 11 teams from Victoria and 1 team from NSW (Thurgoona). Holbrook would be competitive, but it makes no sense at all when you consider location (i know they used to be in TDFL but im assuming location was the reason they reconsidered in the first place)

Of course - travel is a big issue for Colleambally (and all clubs who play against them) if they go to the Hume league.

From what I hear, if they tried to join the league that Griffith and Leeton etc are in, it would be better on location but they would not be competitive. Thus, giving the reason as to why Colly want to join the Hume league in 2008.

A simple solution would be:-
Wahgunyah to the Tallangatta - giving a 10 team league all based in Vic.
RW Tigers, Berrigan, and BB Saints to the existing Coreen giving an 8 team comp
Thurgoona to the Hume, giving a 10 team comp, and a local derby with Magpies.

I actually like that. What do the clubs mentioned think?

I also second those thoughts - its we have been banging on with on the coreen league thread for months now but no one seems to want to listen. It's the obvious logistical answer. All those in favour say I - I - motion carried. That's how it will probably work at the footy NSW meeting. THat's obviously what happened in the magpies fiasco with them over riding the existing clubs wishes.

Wahgunyah move makes sense.

Doubt the RW tigers or the BB saints would be keen on the coreen league. especially knowing that the magpies and, as you suggest, thurgoona that would take their Hume league spots. surely they'd have thought merging with their neighbour clubs was going to give them a stronger future in the hume league.

I've got no suggestions on how it can work.

It won't matter which way you look at it or how it's justified, not everyone will be happy.

I'm a CDFL person. Rand/Walbundrie, Berrigan and BB coming over to our league would be GREAT. I don't know what R/W's thoughts would be but Rand were in the league just a few years ago and they don't look to be seeting the world on fire in the HFL. They'd fit right in. Berrigan would be a good fit too. They are not going too well in the PDFL. As neighbours of Jerilderie, Billabong and Rennie there'd be a lot of interest generated in those towns. Do Berrigan see the CDFL as being too far "below them", having once been a strong Murray League Club? Is that what is stopping them from this most logical of moves? I know some people at the BB Saints who tell me that they have plenty of $ and have signed a gun player/coach already for next year (they won't give me his name), and expect to be very competitive. hey don't seem to acknowledge that a club like theirs with $ will only be up there and competitive for a year or 2 - once the $ runs out and they start losing they'll probably end up in a worse position then they presently are (and on current form they wouldn't play finals in the CDFL).

If those 3 clubs were fair dinkum about their futures and being competitive they'd seriously look at the CDFL. They are in good leagues at present but they will always be propping up those leagues as wooden spooners. This is just my opinion and hope I haven't offended people from those clubs.

Under no circumstance will we even look at entering that league. Perhaps when a bit of discipline enters the team, we will be alot better than you lot think...Give a bit of credit - only due to a very tumultuouss season have we been unable to compete to our ability this year. Don't write us off - we will be back in contention - only changes need to be made and stuck by. Several members very unhappy, be prepared for some storms ahead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amoungst the debate, people continue to use terms such as 'clubs wishes' 'best for clubs' and 'common sense'. It's an unfourtunate fact that the only relevant term come seasons end will belong to the AFL NSW/ACT and that term will be 'easy'. They will look at the easest option, which is chucking everyone in a big leauge and allowing it to work itself out... every man and his dog can get on here and suggest an idea, but evidently you'll end up pissing someone off, hell, you can even implement a pretty good idea, but you'll still end up pissing someone off, enough for that to fall apart.
Indeed, the only thing that all clubs should be focusing all energies on is survival over the next 5 years, as regardless of what happens next year (basically two options: The 15 team 'Picasso' option, or the Coreen leauge stays satagnant, untill which time that its really shagged and somebody simply must do something about it), eventualy the teams in the extended district that havn't folded or merged will be in one leauge.
Those running the show i suspect don't particullarly want this to happen, but im sure they see the 'benefits' of it - less hassle when it comes to organisation, and the absence of debates such as these.

Under no circumstance will we even look at entering that league. Perhaps when a bit of discipline enters the team, we will be alot better than you lot think...Give a bit of credit - only due to a very tumultuouss season have we been unable to compete to our ability this year. Don't write us off - we will be back in contention - only changes need to be made and stuck by. Several members very unhappy, be prepared for some storms ahead

what club are you from / talking about sideliner? R/W Tigers?

SIDELIJNER IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT R/W TIGERS THEN YOU ARE SPOT ON THERE IS GOING TO BE A CIVIL WAR OUT THERE IF SOMETHING IS NOT DONE THIS YEAR WAS A ABSOLUTE JOKE THE POWER THE PLAYERS HAD HAS BEEN DISGRACEFUL AND WHO EVER COACHES THAT RABBLE NEXT YEAR WILL NEED TO WEILD A BLOODY BISSTICK BUt he will have to make sure he has the backing of the committee because they are toothless tigers this years coach was a disaster and if reappointed then dont worry about the reen league they wont be playing anywhere to many good people out there and at the moment non football people making football decisions take heed powers to be fix the problem before it is to late:thumbsdown:

what the hell is going on all you blokes asleep
i f there is not talk about culcairn or henty you all shut up
lets get some finals talk going who is going to win on the weekend

my money is on jindi to come away with the win over henty on sunday, just have to get over sanson and his apparent lisp and the doggies could see themselves in the semis. go the doggies

my money is on jindi to come away with the win over henty on sunday, just have to get over sanson and his apparent lisp and the doggies could see themselves in the semis. go the doggies
Here is an article from Waggas Daily Advertiser, they provide good Hume League Coverage.

Hume finals will be entertaining

Travis Cohalan

31/08/2007 :: 5 hits
Articles_Photo_bv.asp
KEY FIGURE:

Columnist Travis Cohalan believes Osborne coach Graham Hart (pictured) will be a significant factor in the finals series.Photo: Mark Thompson :: Advertisement :: more headlinesTRAVIS COHALAN reveals his Hume League thoughts

WITH the Hume League finals set to commence tomorrow the time has come for me to gaze into my crystal ball and assess the chances of the five remaining teams.
So without further ado here are my rambling thoughts and predictions for what will undoubtedly be a highly entertaining finals series.
CULCAIRN
Home and away finish: 1st (17 wins, one loss)
Strengths: Culcairn boasts arguably the best midfield department in the competition, although Osborne may like to say something about that. Culcairn has a plethora of options to rotate through the midfield, which ensures the Lions always have fresh legs around the ball. Culcairn's forward-line is sound with Luke Donnan having a bumper season at centre half-forward while livewires Jayden Kotzur, Dallas Lodge and Chad Willis provide flair and are dangerous around goals. While Culcairn's midfield is sensational, their defence has proved almost impregnable. Culcairn has conceded the least points of any team this season – 1003 – and has stood tall in several pressure situations.
Cohalan’s key trio: Shannon Gilson, Luke Schuberg, Luke Donnan
Cohalan says: Easily the most impressive team of the home and away season and deserve the right to be premiership favourites. Only query will come in the pressure-cooker atmosphere of finals football but everything so far suggests Culcairn will handle it with ease.
Predicted finish: Runner-up
OSBORNE
Home and away finish: 2nd (16 wins, 2 losses)
Strengths: One of the most successful teams in country football, Osborne will be shooting for its third straight Hume League premiership. Osborne is strong all over the ground and most importantly has experienced players in key positions. Names like Graham Hart, Kerry Bahr, Hayden Gleeson, Owen, Adam and Luke Gooden and Anthony Armstrong will feature prominently in the finals and if those big guns fire Osborne will be virtually unbeatable. Osborne’s only two losses this season have come against Culcairn but the Cats would rate their chances of squaring the ledger in the next month. One thing you know about Osborne is that they are never beaten and they grow another foot in height, stature and confidence around this time of the year.
Cohalan’s key trio: Graham Hart, Adam Gooden, Trent Hadrill
Cohalan says: Take little notice of the two losses to Culcairn this season because when the finals roll around Osborne is always 10 times tougher to beat. Osborne has been impressive, without setting the world on fire so far this season, and look to be ready for a serious premiership assault. If Osborne is to capture a third straight flag, forwards Adam White and Sam Terlich need to stand-up and give coach Hart some support around goals.
Predicted finish: Premiers
HOWLONG
Home and away finish: 3rd (15 wins, three losses)
Strengths: Howlong is the most destructive team in the Hume League with a highly-potent forward-line, boasting Shaun Myles, Aaron Barnes and Aaron Hoskin. The Spiders are the only team in the competition to have claimed the scalp of Culcairn. On their day they can blow rivals off the park. Ruckman Steve Murphy and midfielder Ben Nicholson have been in awesome form this season and with Howlong winning the ball out of the centre Myles and co are close to unstoppable up forward. Forward-line and midfield are both brilliant, however, a query hangs over Howlong's defence, which is sound but may struggle to contain the likes of Culcairn and Osborne. Howlong will get a great gauge of its premiership credentials in tomorrow’s qualifying final against Osborne.
Cohalan’s key trio: Steve Murphy, Ben Nicholson, Shaun Myles
Cohalan says: Howlong is capable of winning the premiership but its defence must lift to cover the potency of Culcairn and Osborne. It will be interesting to see if the mental scars of losing to Osborne in last year’s grand final are still evident. If they are Osborne will have them beat before the opening bounce tomorrow. On the other side, Howlong could be using last year as motivation.
Predicted finish: 3rd
HENTY
Home and away finish:
4th (11 wins, 7 losses)
Strengths: Henty is the prime example of an even team wanting to play for each other. There are no superstars or standouts in Henty's line-up, with the exception of coach Mark Sanson, and the Swampies have relied on their fitness and willingness to work hard this season. Henty is probably the fittest team in the competition and has a solid midfield, capable forward-line and a reliable defence. Sanson has done a fantastic job with the team and they deserve their place in the finals. Sunday’s elimination-final against Jindera will be a stern test, but Sanson’s men will fancy their chances of progressing.
Cohalan’s key trio: Mark Sanson, Andrew Wilson, Aaron West
Cohalan says: Henty's all-round evenness is probably their greatest strength but it could well prove to be their downfall. The lack of experienced stars, like Osborne, Culcairn and Howlong possess, could bite the Swampies in the finals series. Henty is good enough to challenge, and even beat Howlong and Jindera, but Culcairn and Osborne may be a different story. Henty is yet to beat a team above them on the ladder.
Predicted finish: 4th
JINDERA
Home and away finish: (10 wins, 8 losses)
Strengths: Without a doubt Jindera’s biggest positive is its enthusiasm and desire to get out and simply play football. Jindera boasts the youngest team in the finals series and have been carried to the playoffs by enthusiasm and intensity. Coach Geoff Boyle has done a fantastic job in guiding Jindera this far and who knows how far the enthusiasm and momentum will carry the Bulldogs. Jindera has an exciting forward-line with Trent Castles, Brett Garland (if fit) and Aaron Boyle all in great form this season. Regardless of the result on Sunday, Jindera should be happy with its season.
Cohalan’s key trio: Brett Garland (if fit), Aaron Lezius, Trent Castles
Cohalan says: Momentum is a powerful factor in football and Jindera will head into the finals series on a high and full of running. Jindera has beaten Howlong and went close to toppling Culcairn. With Garland fit Jindera could challenge for the premiership but without him they may struggle to get past Henty on Sunday.
Predicted finish: 5th

Almost a perfect day yesterday with our 4ths beating the Lions and our 2s beating them by a point,big game for us today,we feel if we can get over Jindera we are a big chance to beat Howlong as we totally stuffed up the last quarter against them last week.The Cats to have another crack at the Lions next week,still favour the Cats as i think they will be hungry to win it for some of their legends that will more than likely hang up the boots at the end of the big one.:D

I have come up with this suggestion for the future of footy in the area
Tallangatta DFL
Mitta
Dederang
Tallangatta
KSC
Rutherglen
Chiltern
Beechwoth
Barnawartha
Yackandandah
Thuroona
Wodonga Saints
Howlong from Hume FL
Wahgunyah from CDFL
13 teams with room to include a team from Baranduda for a 14 th team or the loss of a club through Merger in the future eg thurgoona/Murray Magpies to make 12

Finals at Birralee Park or Martin Park Wodonga

Hume FL
Holbrook
Osbourne
Lockhart
Culcairn
Henty
Walla
Jindera
RW Tigers
BB Saints
Murray Magpies
CDHBU from CDFL
Coleambally from CDFL
Billabong Crows from CDFL
Rennie from CDFL

Finals at LPO

A Strong 14 team comp with room for Mergers in the future which is almost a certainty

What do you think

I have come up with this suggestion for the future of footy in the area
Tallangatta DFL
Mitta
Dederang
Tallangatta
KSC
Rutherglen
Chiltern
Beechwoth
Barnawartha
Yackandandah
Thuroona
Wodonga Saints
Howlong from Hume FL
Wahgunyah from CDFL
13 teams with room to include a team from Baranduda for a 14 th team or the loss of a club through Merger in the future eg thurgoona/Murray Magpies to make 12

Finals at Birralee Park or Martin Park Wodonga

Hume FL
Holbrook
Osbourne
Lockhart
Culcairn
Henty
Walla
Jindera
RW Tigers
BB Saints
Murray Magpies
CDHBU from CDFL
Coleambally from CDFL
Billabong Crows from CDFL
Rennie from CDFL

Finals at LPO

A Strong 14 team comp with room for Mergers in the future which is almost a certainty

What do you think

How far is Colly and Rennie from Albury or Holbrook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back