ningnangnong

Senior List
Apr 6, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Wallabies, LA Clippers
Is Michael Hurley a forward or a backman?

It seems that when we are getting beat we continue to switch players between positions when in retrospect switching the whole team out of their comfort zone doesn't do much to ease the score board pain.

When he went back in defense he gave up 2 quick goals which probably got his confidence down but towards the end of last year played some ripping games in defense.

Where do we think he is best suited?

I think he might be better as a defender, because life as an Essendon forward these days sadly isn't great.

I prefer him up forward if possible. But there are times when he will certainly be required up back. He certainly struggled today, but it should also be remembered that he has missed the whole NAB Cup and the first three rounds of the season due to the suspension imposed by Essendon and needs more match fitness.

No doubt he is copping some verbal stuff over what has happened but his lack of defensive pressure when playing as a forward is unacceptable. Got involved in bit of push and shove at the start of the game and im only going off what im seeing but looks to be a little over confident in his ability and just expecting things to happen for him rather than work for them.

I was happy with him up forward. Is quite numb at the moment considering what's happened last year, and the amount of pre-season/games he's missed so far, so I wasn't expecting a blinder... more so a solid performance. This would have continued to happen if Knights wasn't so damn quick to pull him away and plonk him right into defense in the middle of the game. I feel as if this was such a stupid move by the coach.

Also, during the match, the rest of the team wouldn't even go near Hurley or Gumby when it came to kicking it inside 50. This is something that no doubt plays a part in the game when the entire team lacks confidence in younger forwards demanding the ball.

Hurley is a forward, no doubt about it. We don't need him down back as I feel that Hooker and Pears have cemented their spots. Make no mistake, Hurley can play back, but he is far more valuable up the ground... if only he was given the amount of confidence Hille recieved all day today...

I'd like to see him played in defence until he hits some good form.

Agree. Plus I thought Hooker has looked lively when put up forward.
Hurley seems more at ease in defence.

Can play at either end of the ground, was blowing heavily at qtr time today, we need to take into account that he has missed the entire nab cup series, and the first 3 rounds of the season, he needs to find some match fitness more than anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to give up on developing him as a forward after 1 and a half games and I don't think constantly moving him from forward to defence is great for him as he's trying to settle into the team.

Also, I agree with marcuz, he hasn't looked the same since the incident, even off field. As the players have said that it's been getting to him, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the reason why he isn't playing great.

I wouldn't get to disheartened about his poor start to the season. He will come good in 2 or 3 years but players that young are always going to go missing for a few games during the season.

The more I think about it and the more I see him play, I personally think he is more suited to playing back. But there is a massive upside in that he can go forward and pinch hit for a quarter a game, just like Adam Hunter for WCE did for so many years. He will be a super player

I already brought this up in the "5 Positional Changes" thread, but I'd like to see him play in the backline. Having him up forward is a luxury (ala St Kilda and Brendon Goddard).
He has poise and playing in the backline forces him to read the play and follow his man around, not just aimlessly lead around the forward line and get harassed.

Should definetly play back at least until he get's his confidence and match fitness up.

The decision to move him back should have been made in the first qtr of yesterdays match - when Cloke was destroying us - rather than waiting until after half time.

With Pears out there should be no choice but to play Hurley back and into some form.

We have no choice now that Pears will be out for a couple of months, he has to go back into defence and I think this is going to be a good and confidence boosting move for him.

Unless we bring Darcy back into the side and he shows something in defence that will allow Hurley to go back forward? We'll see.

I'm kind of liking the idea of having Hurley and Pears as our key backs while Hooker plays Fletcher's current role (although that could be swapped around to suit opponents). While up forward we can have Gumbleton and one of Neagle/Still/Carlisle/maybe even Ryder.

I don't really want to give up on Hurley playing up forward yet though because he's showed some good signs and 1 and a half games is not enough to judge his abilities on (especially with the entries from the midfield at the moment). With Pears out it makes it a bit more difficult but we do still have Fletcher and Hooker to take on the key forwards.

Hmmm he is definatly a defender.. IMO a better question is Hooker forward or back??
Has looked lively fwd the last 2 weeks and wouldnt mind seeing him play there again next week with a spine looking something like this
FB:Hurley
HB:Darcy Daniher
HF:Gumby/hooker
FF:Neagle
Ruck: hille/ryder

Yep, bring in Neagle. I mean WHY THE **** would do you force Lloyd into retirement to develop Neagle and then not give him a game. :eek:

This keeps coming up, but Lloyd knocked back a contract.

I think Jobe is the first Essendon Captain for many years that has not had the ongoing support and guidance of his predecessor in his first season at the helm.

I think Lloyd owed it to the club to take the 1 year contract and help the new skipper adjust to the role. Disappointing from Lloyd, IMHO. I think Lloyd put himself above the club, which is fine, but can you all please stop bitching about him being forced into retirement.

Hmmm he is definatly a defender.. IMO a better question is Hooker forward or back??
Has looked lively fwd the last 2 weeks and wouldnt mind seeing him play there again next week with a spine looking something like this
FB:Hurley
HB:Darcy Daniher
HF:Gumby/hooker
FF:Neagle
Ruck: hille/ryder

Darcy looks very happy to be getting a gig! ;)

Lloyd is trying to undermine Knights as much as he can. Sticking up for players not in the side, tearing apart the game plan and the list and you can see the doubt on a few faces down at Windy Hill now. But that's another story.

Hurley's best attribute at the moment is his ability to read the play. As soon as he went back on sunday, he found the ball and was in the right spots, even if he conceded a couple of goals (one was pretty unlucky). Leave him there for 6 weeks and play Hooker/Neagle deep and Gumby at CHF. Everyone keeps going on about how good Hooker is at 1 on 1 contests, lets see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurley: Back or Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back