Hurley: Back or Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything I have seen of Hurley, including his U/18 footage, shows me he is just a natural full-back (and potentially a great one).

However, I understand the need to plug gaps up forward. You do what you have to do !!

Has everyone seriously forgotten that he kicked 10 goals in the last month of footy last year? Including a match winning four against the Hawks.

He's out of form, but that's partly due to our horrible midfield.

There's no option but to play him as a defender now but I still think he will make an excellent forward.

Actually,

We should continue to play him up forward. Hawks have a weakish backline and Roughead will be forced to play a lot of minutes in the ruck.

This is a good chance for Hurley to find some touch in the forward line.

I think the problem is Hurley has been starting very deep and ATM with our midfield incapable of clearing our attacking 50m with any efficiency, deep forward has been a very lonely place.

I would start him at CHF for a bit and rotate with Gumbleton between CHF/FF at various stages.

I agree with pretty much everything you said Smyth94.

I was watching Hird highlights on Youtube the other day and thought to myself, Hurley's the closest thing we have to a Hird. Both are a good mix of skill, courage and composure. Plus with Hurley's extremely accurate, long, non preferred foot he feels like a waste in the backline.

If Knights plays him in the backline he will be on the next plane up to sunny Queensland.

I'm glad we played him in the forward line last week. He and Gumbleton are starting to click together as a duo (except for a mid air collision at one stage). Let's face it, Hurley is a better player than Neagle and if we persist with Hurley and Gumbleton together they could indeed be the excellent players we're hoping for.

The only issue is our backline will suffer a bit for the next 7 weeks without a strong key back. I hope we can sort ourselves out so we don't rush Hurley back there.

Just a grab game by Hurls today. It was the Hurls of 2009, looking confident and some really smart moves such that slight bump, which got him an easy goal.

It would be good if we can play him forward, but there may be times he is needed in the back line. There may be games where we are better off having Hurls down back with Willo at FF. Or even Neagle if he can squeeze into the side.

I think CHF is his best position - When he's deep forward he's too far out of the play and for a bloke with such exquisite skills he needs to be in the action a lot more.

Most of his good work tonight was him playing around true CHF.

I think CHF is his best position - When he's deep forward he's too far out of the play and for a bloke with such exquisite skills he needs to be in the action a lot more.

I wonder if it could work if Gumbleton and Hurley switched positions during the game like Lloyd and Lucas were early last year because they're both looking like good CHF's.

I wonder if it could work if Gumbleton and Hurley switched positions during the game like Lloyd and Lucas were early last year because they're both looking like good CHF's.

Personally I would have Hurley at true CHF, and Gumby as a very high HFF, then have Ryder/Hille/Williams at FF.

There were still times tonight where we needed that bigger body to present when coming out of defence but Gumbles and Hurls were too deep to do so.

Hitting up Monfries and Davey in the middle gives me heart palpatations. If given a clean run, Gumby will mark the ball 8/10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurley: Back or Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back