I Love Mitch Farmer

Remove this Banner Ad

The only issue I see for Mitch is how he is going to hold down a position in the backline over the next 2-3 years. He is a small defender. We play with three tall defenders (Moore, McGuane and Thursfield/Astbury). That leaves 1 of only 3 spots that Farmer can fill. He is competing against Deledio, Connors, Edwards, Newman and (next year) Tambling for one of those 3 spots.
We also have 2 first year options that will want a spot in the backline in Dea and O'reilly.

very much like a lot of Farmer's game.
the long kicking, the gut running, the commitment.
the only thing i'm not sure of is if he should be in defence...looks shaky in the whole...actually defending thing :p

otherwise great, and of course Hardwick is still doing a lot of shuffling and finding the best position for these players :)

So..Earlier in the year I made a thread labelling Farmer a Dud! I admit I have been largely proven wrong. He has plenty of ability and has been good in some games and outstanding in others.
The only issue I see for Mitch is how he is going to hold down a position in the backline over the next 2-3 years. He is a small defender. We play with three tall defenders (Moore, McGuane and Thursfield/Astbury). That leaves 1 of only 3 spots that Farmer can fill. He is competing against Deledio, Connors, Edwards, Newman and (next year) Tambling for one of those 3 spots. I know that a couple of those players will rotate through the midfield/wing etc. Howerver, with the recruiting of another top line mid in this draft and hopefully 1-2 more quality, long term kids, I can see Farmer being a bench or VFL player. I make no apologies, this is just my opinion! To be honest, if we want to have a 22 that is capable of winning a GF then players like Farmer should eventually be weeded out.
A GF looking backline would be:
HB: Deledio Astbury Tambling
FB: Connors Thursfield/McGuane Moore/Gourdis (with Newman on a wing)
(with another 2-3 seasons under their belt)

Ummm dude, we know its your opinion but seeing as you base your opinion on your opinion and seeing as your opinion can actually entertain a Tambling at HB as part of a GF back line, based on what you have seen so far, tipping your opinion is pretty much shit house. ;)

Ummm dude, we know its your opinion but seeing as you base your opinion on your opinion and seeing as your opinion can actually entertain a Tambling at HB as part of a GF back line, based on what you have seen so far, tipping your opinion is pretty much shit house. ;)

LMAO Cogga, I thought I butchered the english language, but you make it an artform. :thumbsu:

If we ever had to describe a poster your quoted post would describe you perfectly. :D

LMAO Cogga, I thought I butchered the english language, but you make it an artform. :thumbsu:

If we ever had to describe a poster your quoted post would describe you perfectly. :D

thats cool dude...the clean out is nearly complete after 10 years of screaming it from the roof tops on what needed to happen to this club and who the players were that all and sundry would suggest words like "elite", "gun" etc etc that were pure list cloggers that got possesions and those possesions equated to us being shit house. As has come about now, i once early on in Lids career suggested and it was probably in game 1 or 2, we need Lids to give to Lids who gets it to Lids before we can challenge. Those days it was Lids giving it to Hyde who then gave it to Andrew Mcleod who then rammed it home...or Lids giving it to Pettifer who's opponent would just stand there and watch as Petts fell over himself trying to protray to us that he offered a contest and as the opponent ran down the field with another goal beckoning, we would be blessed with the self mutilating scene of Petts punching himself in the head, again trying to portray grit and resolve and a determination that equated to shit. But as the foos here would say, a HF is paid to kick goals...yeah? is that all he has to do in the modern game fools?
We wont even go to down the Lids to Tiv gives...they should make a movie about those...it would bring down the house in the comedy theaters.
You could see it in his demeanour back then, WTF am i doing here with this bunch of fools..
Now we have Lids giving it to Cuz or to Dustin or to Newman or to Cotch and what do you know huh?
It was always our downfall players being made into some kind of required player on the back of stats that lead to another loss and the fact that they tried hard and worked hard etc etc et ****ing cetra. When thats all they had going for them, work hard and try hard because the skill was non existent. ;)

thats cool dude...the clean out is nearly complete after 10 years of screaming it from the roof tops on what needed to happen to this club and who the players were that all and sundry would suggest words like "elite", "gun" etc etc that were pure list cloggers that got possesions and those possesions equated to us being shit house. As has come about now, i once early on in Lids career suggested and it was probably in game 1 or 2, we need Lids to give to Lids who gets it to Lids before we can challenge. Those days it was Lids giving it to Hyde who then gave it to Andrew Mcleod who then rammed it home...or Lids giving it to Pettifer who's opponent would just stand there and watch as Petts fell over himself trying to protray to us that he offered a contest and as the opponent ran down the field with another goal beckoning, we would be blessed with the self mutilating scene of Petts punching himself in the head, again trying to portray grit and resolve and a determination that equated to shit. But as the foos here would say, a HF is paid to kick goals...yeah? is that all he has to do in the modern game fools?
We wont even go to down the Lids to Tiv gives...they should make a movie about those...it would bring down the house in the comedy theaters.
You could see it in his demeanour back then, WTF am i doing here with this bunch of fools..
Now we have Lids giving it to Cuz or to Dustin or to Newman or to Cotch and what do you know huh?
It was always our downfall players being made into some kind of required player on the back of stats that lead to another loss and the fact that they tried hard and worked hard etc etc et ****ing cetra. When thats all they had going for them, work hard and try hard because the skill was non existent. ;)

Love your work brother. :thumbsu::p

One of your better tomes Cogga...
Plenty of sense amongst the hyperbole! ;)

yeah hes been consistently good, one side of his game he needs to improve is the one on one contest with his opponent, but i think he will get there.

when we add more quality players to our side it will be interesting to see if he keeps his spot.

dont think we can have as many small blokes in our team as we currently do, but if we are going to keep a few he would certianly be at the top of my list.

Had a slow start, but that's always to be expected when entering a new club, especially when you consider he was on the outer at the Power, his confidence wouldn't have exactly been sky high.
His output now is what we've been wanting from a smaller defender, he's hard as can be, clean skills, good decision making, never shirks a contest and seems to have a nice amount of niggle in him. I'm also loving his willingness to leave his man in order to help out a team-mate at the contest, taking a risk won't always come off for him, but I bet his fellow backmen are appreciating the support he provides them when it gets tough.
Remember reading that he was an outstanding leader in his junior career. It's these sort of attributes that will see him make a successful career for himself.
Nason and Farmer for Schulz. Power are happy and we are happy. Schulz and Mitch both get fresh starts. Both players now seem to be rejuvinated and playing good footy. A great trade.

Go Mitch Go, loving your work so far.

Still not convinced with Farmer. It's all well and good to be handy on the attack but to be our long-term small BP player he will have to consistently shut down his opponents (small forwards who have ripped us a new one for many years). He gives his opponents too much space and can't make up the gap on the lead with lace of acceleration.

I think those small, zippy forwards may be too agile and quick for him to handle ala Milne earlier in the year and that's not something he can work on, that's a natural trait.

That is based on Hardwick saying that Tambling has been played out of position this year and that he is a half back flanker... - So Hardwick's opinion. Also, could argue that in 08, he was a very handy player for us on the flank and underwent surgery in preseason and struggled to grasp the gameplan etc etc...

Reading through some of your posts, tipping your grammar is pretty much shit house... Stay in school brother! or if you have finished school, maybe consider night classes:eek:

Still not convinced but I do think of higher of him now then what I did 3 months ago

I think that's the important thing to remember with all of the new bunch of kids that we've brought into the system this year. It will take time for them to adapt to the rigours of training, gameplan, team culture and basically just being an AFL footballer. Mitch has come a long way in the last 3 months and one would expect that he look a better player again after playing another 3 months of football, it's all relevant to the experience and opportunity provided to these young men. We need to shelve our own criticism on these guys and let Dimma and co sort the wheat from the chaff. They will have a much better idea on who will actually make it (and they will play them often) and who is just treading water until a better option comes along.
I'm happy with the progress that Mitch is making and think that he has already passed a few on our list that have been around for seasons. I think that he will only continue to get better with more experience, confidence and the greater fitness base that will be acheived by pumping more games into him.

This is the exact sort of player we need
Confident hard at it team orientated gut runner
I am beginning to really like this kid considering how little footy his played
Has obviously been told to back himself and get forward and has kicked really good goals in crucial times a couple of times this year
His a keeper

Quit looking at stats and bagging players this kids leadership is sensational
Watch Some footy

He's or he is.

now everyone have a go at me:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

I Love Mitch Farmer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back