If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

for sure, it would be the only thing that could make me feel any better about it

i think we will need to be well equipped with wooden stakes

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

This speculation is bad for the club - especially at this time of year with membership sales.

I am not sure how Cam is going to deal with this one, but saying they will not speculate publicly is one thing - the PR disaster of everyone else speculating will hurt the club.

If it came out with 100% confirmed truth (evidence or straight from the mouth of Scully/his manager/GWS/etc) then no, **** no. I wouldn't even let him train.

This speculation is bad for the club - especially at this time of year with membership sales.

I am not sure how Cam is going to deal with this one, but saying they will not speculate publicly is one thing - the PR disaster of everyone else speculating will hurt the club.

too true, i posted something similar regarding speculation in another thread

was just trying to lighten the mood a little

anyway, we have a very competent team working on this one

i trust the club to do everything in it's power to retain tom

I'm waiting for Barassi to come out and scare seven shades of shit outta him, that'll bring him in line. Coz if Scully leaves after everything we've done for him, and after Barassi having faith in him to carry on the legacy of his #31 jumper... shit's gonna hit the fan. No doubt.

All these articles scare me, they really do. If we lose Scully, it'll show his true character and how unloyal he is as a footballer. Trengove shoulda been #1 pick, he's loyalty shines true, he signed for 3 years to ensure no one else could take him, AND he came out and said he wants to be a Dee for life. Why couldn't Scully do that? Or was his head resting upon other clouds?

If Scully leaves, I'll NEVER forgive him. Put it that way.

look at all you haters, hating before he has even left!!!

give him a couple of week to either sign or not sign, then start your hate!!

dont boo anyone playing for our team! or any other team for that matter, booing is a bogan sport

What scares me is that the majority of these 'X player has signed with Gold Coast' rumours last season were found to be true.

Scully will be a gun and will be paid accordingly in the second half of his career. For Melbourne to offer him anything more than $350k a season after 1-2 years of football would be a mistake that may mean other players become dis-satisfied with their wage and walk. Just look at what happened at Brisbane after Fevola walked in the door.

Scully leaving would put a serious question mark on our premiership aspirations.

They reckon they could offer Scully a million dollars per season :eek: That is ridiculous. Happy we signed Martin now for 450, 000 a year or whatever ridiculous price we paid. He'll be a millionaire a 20 :eek:

Feel sorry for you guys if this is true. Should get the same as Ablett, but wonder if you will.

Actually melbourne should get a lot more than geelong got for ablett becuase melbourne used a NO 1 draft pick for scully.

Geelong used a FS pick number 40 to secure ablett, it was circumstantial that ablett turned out as good as he was, really geelong were lucky to get what they did for ablett ( pick 40 -> first round pick)

If GWS are serious about a Tom scully a fair retribution would be there first 2 picks.

Just another couple of option regarding the genisis of the rumor.

Option 1:

Scully's management leaked this information to ensure he gets a 3-4 year contract with the MFC 100-150k above what he is currently worth not taking into consideration bonuses that come as part of B&F or Brownlow finishing positions & AA. If I was his manager I would do it now with the aim of signing him to the MFC before the season started so he gets a huge deal even if he does his knee round 1. They have said they won't negotiate until later in the year but I think they have seen how financially successful the Ablett deal was as a result, so taking this option allows them to negotiate through the media hype without even talking with the MFC.

GFC would have offered him everything they could & Ablett would have also assigned a huge "loyalty price" to GC for him to leave the club he, his father & brother played at. Scully does not have the same expected loyalty yet (although to us he does), but what he does have to bargain with is that GWS are getting a number 1 (Priority) draft pick who will be the first one to leave his club after the required two years. And the expected hate that will come from all MFC & many other supporters.

Option 2:

GWS leak this to try to put a strain on the relationship between MFC & Scully & to create as much hype as they can around the club. I don't care what anyone says but a rumor about Scully leaving MFC is much, much bigger then Swan or Pendlebury potentially having already signed with them. I feel that if Swan had won the Brownlow in 2010 then it would have been him getting all these rumors as he would be deemed to be the best player in the comp & a premiership player ala Ablett in 2010. This also keeps the hyper aggressive Maguire from slagging them off daily on MMM like its his own personal forum & they can go about their negotiations with Swan & the like quietly.

This really sucks for you guys, but whatever he decides I hope you find out sooner rather than later, the last thing everybody wants is another Ablett scenario with "will he? won't he?" shite media pieces all over the news

If he is going to stay he will re-sign soon, if he doesn't re-sign and the season gets underway and round by round he is still unsigned then it would be pretty bleak. Swallow signed a couple of weeks after he was offered $900k per season. Was not a pleasant two weeks, would be misery if it went throughout the season.

Sounds eerily similar to the Swallow thing.

As said previously, you would want to hope that it is resolved relatively quickly. The absolute shit feeling that one of your best young players might be going to an expansion club with a lot of concessions already is just.. horrible.

As much as I'm not a fan of Melbourne, I really hope you're able to keep Scully and all your other gun young players, because the rivalry between our clubs wouldn't be the same without them. Just as it wouldn't be the same would Swallow have been signed by GWS.

Good luck. :thumbsu:

If the club found out he had signed they should out him publicly and never let him train/play with the club again.

I honestly refuse to believe Scully would do this, he is one of the last people I'd expect from Melbourne to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect Scully to be hung, drawn and quartered on and off the field for the rest of his career if this eventuates. Will throw his character right out the window.

If it's found out this year, play him and leave him wide open for a massive tackle/ bump. Send him packing in style. Melbourne need to make statements on player movements. We've been plagued by them for way too long.

In saying all of this I would hope the kid is thinking about his career properly, not just financially and plays well for the Dees for a long time to come.

I honestly refuse to believe Scully would do this, he is one of the last people I'd expect from Melbourne to do it.

If his dedication to the club is anything like his dedication to training & football he won't be going anywhere.

What sort of compensation would we get if he did leave?

Surely it would have to be another #1 pick at the very least, but even then, that isn't really enough seeing as we will have put two years of development into him at season's end.
If we were to just get another #1 pick, then it would basically be two years wasted.

Stuff the bloody compensation, even if we did get another #1 pick (which wouldn't happen), the sheer amount of time we have invested in this kid is all for zip. In 2 years time we should be seriously challenging the top teams, as the bulk of our team will have 3/4+ seasons of footy games under their belt. Scully should be a major part of that team.

This needs to get resolved soon, one way or the other. If we get into the season proper and he hasn't signed, it will be a mess.

If I were Dean Bailey..and I found out that Tom was leaving..Id near on force him to look Jim Stynes in the eye and tell him he no longer wants to be apart of the footy club he worked so hard for.

If money was an issue - surely the crusty old boys at the MCC would go deep enough to guarantee money after football (nothing illegal of course), which over time would match the GWS offer.

The thing is that he isn't just one of the best young talents at the club, he is one of the best in the country and Melbourne should be given that consideration.

If Scully does go I will be bitterly disappointed, but won't be able to blame him. At the amount of cash that's being stated in the media, he's basically guaranteeing his future financial security no matter what happens. We can't match that, and at the end of the day that type of offer is too good to turn down.

The real culprits are the AFL and all the team heads who agreed to this decision. That the current scenario was even a possibility is disgraceful. The compensation we would receive would be entirely insufficient. Perhaps the AFL set up such a ridiculous situation to turn the public against free agency.

If Scully stays, I will be incredibly grateful. It would be a really tough decision for anyone, let alone a 19 year old kid. It really isn't as if the club did him that many favours. We drafted him in our own best interest because he was the best option in the draft. It wasn't like he was some sort of burden.

Either way, the club has every right to demand an answer in the immediate future. If this goes on for very long it will be crystal clear that he is leaving. If he's leaving, we have to play whichever kid will fill his position once he's gone. He can screw the club over by leaving, but to fill another's spot while stringing us alone knowing he is leaving and that we aren't in the race for the flag this year would be very selfish.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back