If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

we really need to support tom and get behind him 100 percent, as someone else said

we can't give him reason to leave

Eddie - stick to the game shows and the poker games with Warnie. Leave the serious journalism - such as double checking one's sources - to others.

Press release on SEN from manager - He has not signed with GWS but talk are still on hold.

Nobody can sign an agreement while another contract is in place, they can agree to a deal in principal, which is what everyone who crossed over to the GC did.

The talks on hold is what is problematic. Everyone who was rumoured to go to GC who wanted to wait until the end of the year before "evaluating their options" crossed over.

There would be hope if he/his manager would be prepared to open contract negotiations, if they wont then they likely already have an agreement in principal.

Nobody can sign an agreement while another contract is in place, they can agree to a deal in principal, which is what everyone who crossed over to the GC did.

The talks on hold is what is problematic. Everyone who was rumoured to go to GC who wanted to wait until the end of the year before "evaluating their options" crossed over.

There would be hope if he/his manager would be prepared to open contract negotiations, if they wont then they likely already have an agreement in principal.
why dont you worry about playing interstate, or folding.:thumbsu:

I know that but thats what SEN quoted from the statement, I know he can commit in word if he wants but who knows where its at.

The big difference is that Swallows management didn't come out saying that they were postponing contract talks until the end of the season. Ablett's management did however.....

Do you think Scully signed a contract with GWS last August, when his management first said they were delaying contract talks to the end of 2011?

Get it through your heads worried people, Scully isn't going anywhere.

With a new CBA and a new broadcast rights deal coming out at the end of this year, it is the logical thing for management to delay contract talks. It puts Scully in the best position.

This is a rumour that has snowballed through the media.

Don't know how he's going to agree a contract in principle, when he or his management hasn't made any contact whatsoever with GWS.

Contract talks regularly go on hold in footy, just because Gary Ablett went doesn't mean that everyone will. Scully won't. Bookmark it.

Do you think Scully signed a contract with GWS last August, when his management first said they were delaying contract talks to the end of 2011?

Get it through your heads worried people, Scully isn't going anywhere.

With a new CBA and a new broadcast rights deal coming out at the end of this year, it is the logical thing for management to delay contract talks. It puts Scully in the best position.

This is a rumour that has snowballed through the media.

Dead right - Scully and his managers have got every right to maximise his earnings - and this is the smart way to do it. It does not do much for our blood pressures collectively, but the club will not let us down.

Scully is a 100% Demon in 2011 and we must get behind him. My family and I will.

BTW Jack the Ripper, you are leading a short but exciting life over on the Richmond Board. A holiday could be yours for the taking. Good luck . . . .

Dead right - Scully and his managers have got every right to maximise his earnings - and this is the smart way to do it. It does not do much for our blood pressures collectively, but the club will not let us down.

Scully is a 100% Demon in 2011 and we must get behind him. My family and I will.

BTW Jack the Ripper, you are leading a short but exciting life over on the Richmond Board. A holiday could be yours for the taking. Good luck . . . .
read my last post there, its all iv got to say on the matter.:thumbsu:

Not a hope in hell that Scully can go through 2011 without making
a decision, its early Feb and already supporters are calling for him to make
the call - and after Ablett jrs little money grabbing stunt, then its fair to
say that the media will even three times worse with young Tom.

IMO, this is good for us Dees fans who want an answer sooner rather than later.

Id like to see a market framed and view some odds, Id actually have
Scully leaving us - at shorter odds than him staying.

But regardless, Its a decision that we wont have to wait till the end of the
year for - no matter how much Scullys managers preach that a decision
wont be made till the end of 2011, after the Ablett saga, they will be
forced their hand come July, that is certain.

Actually melbourne should get a lot more than geelong got for ablett becuase melbourne used a NO 1 draft pick for scully.

Geelong used a FS pick number 40 to secure ablett, it was circumstantial that ablett turned out as good as he was, really geelong were lucky to get what they did for ablett ( pick 40 -> first round pick)

If GWS are serious about a Tom scully a fair retribution would be there first 2 picks.

Totally agree with this. If he goes, good riddance. Would rather the 2 picks we will get who actually want to be at the club that develops them

I've said it elsewhere, but the AFL have ****ed this up royally. The GC and GWS already get such outrageous concessions and have r*ped their own drafts for the best kids in the comp.

It is disgraceful that they can retrospectively rape previous drafts on top of this, and steal the future of struggling clubs.

They should not be allowed to take players in their first 3-4 years, and it's the most ****ed scenario ever should you lose a player like Scully :thumbsdown:

I agree with this Lance - GC and GWS have fantastic draft concessions. I will take it a step further - they should only be allowed to sign players that have given 10 years service to a club - 2 is just stupid and no reward for investing in a player!

Ablett at least helped win 2 flags - if Scully helped win Melbourne 2 then maybe this would not be as bad. No fair minded supporter can support Melb losing Scully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Pavlich?

I hope he comes out and says he's staying, it has potential to derail the young group if he decides to go. He could be a champion. I hope he stays at Melbourne, if he doesn't, the AFL are to blame.

I think he has signed tbh. The fact that his management say holding out the deal is so he can play footy is what makes me think he is gone. It's obvious that this is going to be a massive story all year and this can only be detrimental to his footy and the team, surely his management can see this. They are flat out lying. Time to play some other youngster.

I don't really care if Scully stays or goes. If the rumours regarding the 6 year/$6mil deal on offer by GWS are true, it would be tough for any person to resist. If I was Scully, I would already be shopping for a new house in NSW!

At the end of the day, he will chose the team that offers the best situation for him. So it comes down to whether he values the money, or staying in Melbourne to be close to family.

If I was coach, I would continue to play him every week regardless if he as signed with GWS or not. I'm a believer of fielding your strongest team each week and playing to win, and frankly I was appalled when MFC started tanking in 2009.

From Demonland

Tom Scully Statement

9 February 2011

In response to extensive recent media speculation Velocity Sports today issued the following statement in relation to Melbourne AFL player Tom Scully.

Contrary to media speculation, Tom Scully has not signed an AFL contract with Greater Western Sydney.

He is contracted to Melbourne for the 2011 AFL season, and Velocity Sports advised Melbourne in writing in August 2010 of the company's decision to put off all contract talks until the end of the 2011 season.

Mark Kleiman, Scully's Melbourne-based manager, today said Scully continued to enjoy an excellent relationship with the club, and remained committed to building his future with the Demons in a most exciting time for the club. He also confirmed that Velocity Sports had not had talks with GWS in relation to Scully.

But Kleiman said Velocity Sports would be negligent if it did not fully assess the football landscape before addressing the Scully contract situation.

"It's a rapidly changing time for the AFL, with a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and a new AFL broadcast rights deal to be negotiated this year, and it is our responsibility to see these through before we address Tom's contract," he said.

"So, to ensure there are no distractions and that Tom can direct all his energies to the 2011 season, we recommended to him last August that we put contract talks on hold until the end of this season and advised the club accordingly.

"We understand there will be speculation because Tom is such an outstanding young prospect but just as Matthew Pavlich and Jack Watts did last year, among untold others, we feel it is in Tom's best interests to put the whole thing off until the end of the season.

"We've made these comments today to ease any concerns of Melbourne supporters and reassure them that Tom is fully committed to the club. But in the interests of allowing him just to play football we've agreed with the Melbourne administration that we will not address this issue publicly again this season."

Hope that clarifies the situation at least until the end of the season.

From Demonland

Tom Scully Statement

9 February 2011

Mark Kleiman, Scully's Melbourne-based manager, today said Scully continued to enjoy an excellent relationship with the club, and remained committed to building his future with the Demons in a most exciting time for the club.

The statement is meaningless, if he was committed to MFC negotiations would be happening right now to work on an extension. I'm sure that MFC will pay as much as they can afford to try and retain him, and I very much doubt they will magically find some more cash at the end of the season.

The statement is meaningless.

That statement when isolated and taken out of context is meaningless, but when this is tacked on it gives it context and some credibility;

"It's a rapidly changing time for the AFL, with a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and a new AFL broadcast rights deal to be negotiated this year, and it is our responsibility to see these through before we address Tom's contract," he said.

I don't really care if Scully stays or goes. If the rumours regarding the 6 year/$6mil deal on offer by GWS are true, it would be tough for any person to resist. If I was Scully, I would already be shopping for a new house in NSW!

At the end of the day, he will chose the team that offers the best situation for him. So it comes down to whether he values the money, or staying in Melbourne to be close to family.

If I was coach, I would continue to play him every week regardless if he as signed with GWS or not. I'm a believer of fielding your strongest team each week and playing to win, and frankly I was appalled when MFC started tanking in 2009.
:thumbsu: Well said.

I too was appalled with our tanking. Talk about passion for the jumper and teammates is a bit rich, when you are playing for a team that have set the bar so low in recent years. No expectation of winning hardly engenders passion.

If Scully walks, as McLean and Bruce did, the club has to look at itself in the mirror and not point the finger at the player that left.

Off field, we are flying. On field, we've been sugarcoating mediocrity.

My mate explained it to me like this:

'Imagine you own a restaurant, and you have a really good apprentice chef. I mean he cooks the best damn fillet mignon you've ever tasted. If he comes to you and says 'look, I've got a great offer to go to a restaurant in Sydney, but it doesn't open til next year. I'm going to take the job, but just letting you know now.'

You don't fire the apprentice chef, cause he's a really good cook and he brings in plenty of business etc.

So I think I'd still play Sculls. He has the potential to win games for us. But obviously it would be ideal if he doesn't go in the first place.

The other day I was thinking that it's his job and he should go where he secures his future best.

I have now come to my senses and, should he leave, will hope that Bails surrounds him with the playing group, Chris Johnson style, who will in no uncertain terms show him how much of a c*n* he is.

I'm seriously getting worried but the bet we can do is cheer him on until we hear an announcement. Booing him won't endear him, will it?

This really sucks for you guys, but whatever he decides I hope you find out sooner rather than later, the last thing everybody wants is another Ablett scenario with "will he? won't he?" shite media pieces all over the news
:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back