If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

If Scully were to leave the afl needs to go and Fk themselves.

It's one thing to give the new clubs draft pick concessions, but to even allow GWS to poach a retrospective number 1 pick (only one year in) is nothing short of corruption! These picks are designed to get clubs 'back up'. The Dees are on the way up and in all likelyhood will be challenging for flags with GC and GWS (think about it).

What demons supports don't want to hear, is the afl coming out with 'some amended' draft compensation formula, ie, if the poached player is a previous number 1 pick not having played for more than 3 years (similar to amendments last year assisting Ablett to go to the GC)- If thats the case something smells fishy and the afl know he has signed.

Might take the tin foil hat off now:)

Barassi won't help the cause, that would be hypocritical of him.

P.s hope you keep him

Just been told its a done deal. Gutted

Not at all. He will stay. Have a bit of faith.

And PS, Barassi is not a hypocrite. He bled for the Dees for over a decade. Anyone who knows anything about forthright domineering father / strong son relationships will understand why he had to leave at the end of 1964.

And PS, Barassi is not a hypocrite. He bled for the Dees for over a decade. Anyone who knows anything about forthright domineering father / strong son relationships will understand why he had to leave at the end of 1964.

I hope he stays too mate but the info comes from someone very high up in the chain. Wasnt directly told myself but the info has been 100% spot on in the past

Biff not here to cause trouble, but surely money also helped Barassi move.

Biff not here to cause trouble, but surely money also helped Barassi move.

Mate, indeed, but he was going to feel very uncomfortable coaching in his own right at Melbourne when the shadow of Norm Smith was still so strong. After all, the offer was made.

Barassi always had to leave. I wish he had done it at the very end of his playing career but there you go.

I hope he stays too mate but the info comes from someone very high up in the chain. Wasnt directly told myself but the info has been 100% spot on in the past

Comrade, past accuracy is no guarantee of future accuracy, and as you yourself admit, it is hearsay.

We all know what Bailey did to CJ in their infamous last meeting - he brought out the shotgun. He has come out swinging today in Sully's defence. He and the boys talk all the time. Bailey could not have been any clearer.

Even if Sully were to troop north to Sheedy's circus, and I do not believe that he will, he or his manager would have to be the dumbest ****s in the world to sign at this time of the season.

"We'd like to get quite a number of players like Tom Scully in a Giants jumper,'' Sheedy said.

"We'd like to get any top-class players coming through who may want to leave their club and get an opportunity up here to build a club.

"So, Tom Scully, of course you would want a Tom Scully.

"But we really would like a top class centre half-back, a top-class centre half-forward and a top-class ruckman and a superstar goalkicker like other clubs will be wanting.

"We've got to go after seven or eight players to make sure we are not left behind in the talent race in regards to building a great club.''

sheedy's interview... it was less brazen then i would expect if scully had signed

I've said it elsewhere, but the AFL have ****ed this up royally. The GC and GWS already get such outrageous concessions and have r*ped their own drafts for the best kids in the comp.

It is disgraceful that they can retrospectively rape previous drafts on top of this, and steal the future of struggling clubs.

They should not be allowed to take players in their first 3-4 years, and it's the most ****ed scenario ever should you lose a player like Scully :thumbsdown:

This!,
If they take Scully from you its an indictment on the AFL and there bogus Salary Cap and draft system which is set up purely so they can control the league and its future expansions and has nothing to do with fairness or levelling playing fields let me tell you,

first of all, let me say i sincerely hope that this rumour is not true. all of the existing 16 teams are in the same boat here, and the fact that the afl has let this happen is a disgrace.

secondly, if scully was to leave, would you really want a person of that character at your team anyway? i wouldnt at freo, im sure you would get nothing short of the number one pick, or atleast two mid first rounders which would be fair compensation, although i know that 2 years would have been wasted

thirdly, we all saw what bomber thompson did with ablett when he refused to commit, would bailey do the same do you think? either not play him, or sit him in a forward pocket

fourthly, i am led to believe that GWS get the pick of uncontracted players for two year, is that correct? if so i would LOVE to see GWS poach andrew swallow, or sam day, im not vlad would allow that sort of poetic justice though

i really feel for you guys, we have a similar rumour going around about rhys palmer, and that would gut us as well, im sick of hearing vlad say "all the other clubs agreed to this", the line is complete BS, if vlad wants something, he gets it, and our clubs have to foot the bill.

all the best KPR

sheedy's interview... it was less brazen then i would expect if scully had signed

Agreed, comrade, and please do not forget that Sheedy hates Melbourne. He tried out for us as a youngster at the height of our glory. It did not work out and, moreover, he felt deeply uncomfortable being at such a WASP-ish club (as we were at the time) - Sheedy being bog-Irish Australian (as I am). He loves to cause mischief and repay old scores (much like me - we must be related). He jumped the shark long ago. Other than cash, GWS has nothing to offer in the least. 90 /10 Scully will stay – and for all the right reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds eerily similar to the Swallow thing.

As said previously, you would want to hope that it is resolved relatively quickly. The absolute shit feeling that one of your best young players might be going to an expansion club with a lot of concessions already is just.. horrible.

As much as I'm not a fan of Melbourne, I really hope you're able to keep Scully and all your other gun young players, because the rivalry between our clubs wouldn't be the same without them. Just as it wouldn't be the same would Swallow have been signed by GWS.

Good luck. :thumbsu:

The big difference is that Swallows management didn't come out saying that they were postponing contract talks until the end of the season. Ablett's management did however.....

Personally I think it's totally shit that GWS should have access to a player like Scully. I agree with those who have already suggested that players should have to spend at least 4 years with their initial club before they can jump ship.

If it turns out that he is going then I would also take the approach of paying him his salary for the year and sending him on his way effective immediately. I just can't see any real benefit of keeping him.

Hope he stays. Good Luck!

Geelong put up with this talk week in, week out for all of last year. Every press conference, every player and every coach had to put up with the constant speculation. It derailed our season, fractured relationships, made people seems like liars etc etc.
There was always going to be a similar situation this year (and unfortunately next year as well), and if it so happens to be Scully then all Geelong fans know exactly what you will go through.
Constant questions and snipes at work, at games- it was a shocker to put up with. It almost felt like a relief when Ablett left, no more bullshit or lies.
Anyway, good luck.

If I were Dean Bailey..and I found out that Tom was leaving..Id near on force him to look Jim Stynes in the eye and tell him he no longer wants to be apart of the footy club he worked so hard for.

Yeah...I doubt Tom's going.

If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS you would still need to play him or you might find you only get an end of first found pick for him but if he has another very good year then he may be worth 2 like Ablett.

All the people saying if he is the sort of person to leave Melbourne for money then you wouldn't want him at the club anyway grow up, the money being talked about would be more than double what you would pay him and it would take a very loyal person to say no.

I still think Swan is the most likely player to leave after making the comment last year that Ablett has to go to the Gold coast for that sort of an offer doesn't he?

Kleiman rejected claims, aired this morning by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, that Scully had already signed with the Giants. But he said contract talks with the Demons had been put off until the end of the season.

"To ensure there are no distractions and that Tom can direct all his energies to the 2011 season, we recommended to him last August that we put contract talks on hold until the end of this season and advised the club accordingly," Kleiman said.

“We understand there will be speculation because Tom is such an outstanding young prospect, but, just as Matthew Pavlich and Jack Watts did last year, among untold others, we feel it is in Tom’s best interests to put the whole thing off until the end of the season.

We’ve made these comments today to ease any concerns of Melbourne supporters and reassure them that Tom is fully committed to the club. But in the interests of allowing him just to play football we’ve agreed with the Melbourne administration that we will not address this issue publicly again this season.”

from http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r-western-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1226002829170

Obviously not a guarantee he's staying but please lets all support Tom this season like we would any other player and not give him a reason to leave!

Few questions guys hope you can answer as it is useful.

Who is Tom Scully's manager?

Is it strange that he signed on for the minimum amount of years at the start?

This does seem like replicating into an Ablett situation but i hope it doesn't for the sake of fairness

IF I was the coach and he had already signed and is going to GWS no matter what the Dees put in front of him then I would play him for 100% game time for 22 games, at every centre bounce.

I would grind his young bones into dust and stretch every fibre of every tendon until something snapped. If he got hurt and told me he couldn't play I'd get the doc to jab him until he could.

He would be in the middle of every pile at training. He would be the dummy for every tackling drill.

At the end of the year I would send GWS a body bag with just a couple of pounds of rotten flesh and a pair of footy boots.

This does seem like replicating into an Ablett situation but i hope it doesn't for the sake of fairness

No, I think you would find most highly rated youngsters sign on for the minimum amount as they would back themselves to perform and earn themselves a big pay rise with their next contract.

IF I was the coach and he had already signed and is going to GWS no matter what the Dees put in front of him then I would play him for 100% game time for 22 games, at every centre bounce.

I would grind his young bones into dust and stretch every fibre of every tendon until something snapped. If he got hurt and told me he couldn't play I'd get the doc to jab him until he could.

He would be in the middle of every pile at training. He would be the dummy for every tackling drill.

At the end of the year I would send GWS a body bag with just a couple of pounds of rotten flesh and a pair of footy boots.
thats funny.

Press release on SEN from manager - He has not signed with GWS but talk are still on hold.

He may not have signed just yet, but he may have an in-principle agreement to sign with GWS, just as GAJ did with GC17. Maybe Kleimann is just playing with words.

If Scully leaves, it makes a mockery of the club's tanking policy. Maybe the football gods believe in karma.

mark kleiman

most draftees sign a 2 year deal after they are picked up

in fact i think all do

trengove and tapscott extended theirs in the first season i think

Remove this Banner Ad

If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back