If you had to swear on a book...

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. I'm not religious, but I'm willing to accept the Bible as the symbol used when swearing an oath in court.

That's not the point he's making, for you the book carries no greater meaning, you could swear on a toasters instruction manual and the significance is the same. you can respect the symbol and understanding its significance and consider what you say in that context.

But you don't believe that if you lie you've done anything more than break a law which was once considered taboo.
to religious person that book in many ways is their connection to their god it has deeper meaning. for them it still is taboo it's an affront to their deity may put at risk their relationship with their god.

think of it like a photo of a baby, sure it's cute and all but most people don't give a shit a baby photo not really. But when it's a photo of your baby you're filled with all sorts of emotions just by looking at it.

392253.jpg

there is no way I could possibly lie, beer would never taste the same again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bible. Anyone who doesn't should not be allowed into office.

What people so conveniently forget is that Jesus says in bible not to swear by God or anything, just let your yes mean yes, and your no mean no. The relevant passages are in Matthew 5:35-37

Matthew 5:34-37New International Version (NIV)
34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.a]">[a]

It strikes me as a pretty stupid idea to think somebody won't lie just because they swear on a book which might be significant to them for some reason, but this is a fun thread, so I'll play along. My book of choice:

TheRepublic.jpg

I would still lie if it was to my advantage. Republic happens to be my favourite work of philosophy and the arguments contained therein are all brilliant, which is why I would choose it as my most significant book, it has had a major influence on how I view the world, and on what I want to do with myself and our society.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you had to swear on a book...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back