Roast I'm so upset with the whole club.

Remove this Banner Ad

No way known

Ben-Cousins-5423618.jpg

How's he going beyond football? That's more important.

If I was the players or the AFLPA I would pull out of the entire thing and sink the policy. This is simply because its been handled terribly and it is impossible to trust the AFL to do this correctly. They are damned if they so and damned if they don't.

At the end of the day it is up to the clubs to try and make sure their employees are doing the right things. This has always been the case from alcohol, to speeding, drink driving, chopstick incidents etc. This should be no different. Some players will do it some players won't and they are dealt with in due course. The better clubs will enforce this with culture and education.

If the police can't control recreational drugs how is the AFL thinking it can, they are kidding themselves and it is bound to fail.

Well, just hang out for the next sensationalist headline and then get worked up over that. That's the spirit. Keep for fighting the good fight.

(Or you could actually research about countries that have adopted a harm minimilsation approach, the benefits of decriminalisation and a push by some medical practitioners for a change to drug laws...)

You can do that Jason because you obviously believe the decriminalization of drugs is a good thing. I respect your opinion but many of us don't have that same belief. While I dont have my head in the clouds and understand there are many people out there who take illegal drugs(I prefer not to call them recreational) who are perfectly fine and often good high performing citizens I have also seen and know many people who's lives and who's familys lives have been destroyed by drugs. I just cannot support laws that in my opinion send the message that drugs are ok. IMO they are not ok.

What I will say is that right now these drugs are illegal and the AFL and clubs have rules against taking them. If you are getting paid alot of money to be a professional athlete and cannot except the rules that go with it then get out. It really shouldn't take all that much discipline to say, you know what I am very fortunate to be doing this as a career. I am going to respect the rules and stay off the gear.

How's he going beyond football? That's more important.
Yep and that's why the voluntary, recreational drug testing in the off season is happening. To prevent this type of situation developing. It can only work through education and support. The public was aware of the drug taking within the Eagles and the players involved and that didn't stop them. Naming and shaming doesn't work. No different to an alcoholic and while drinking alcohol is not illegal, the behaviour of drunks in public is. So, the only real way to sort out the mess is through educating these kids and putting things in place to support them

Yep and that's why the voluntary, recreational drug testing in the off season is happening. To prevent this type of situation developing. It can only work through education and support. The public was aware of the drug taking within the Eagles and the players involved and that didn't stop them. Naming and shaming doesn't work. No different to an alcoholic and while drinking alcohol is not illegal, the behaviour of drunks in public is. So, the only real way to sort out the mess is through educating these kids and putting things in place to support them

I dont agree. Yep some people will take drugs no matter what but humans do things they can get away with. I would be staggered if players knew that if they took illicit drugs that they would be named, fined and suspended if the number was anywhere near as high as it is now. I would bet my house on the fact the the number would significantly decrease. Most do it because they know they can get away with it.

Last edited:
I dont agree. Yep some people will take drugs no matter what but humans do things they can get away with. I would be staggered if players knew that if they took illicit drugs that they would be named, fined and suspended if the number was anywhere near as high as it is now. I would bet my house on the fact the the number would significantly decrease. Most do it because they know they can get away with it.

Cocaine and methamphetimine are performance enhancers because they are stimulants. They do need to crackdown hard for the players and the code.

Cocaine and methamphetimine are performance enhancers because they are stimulants. They do need to crackdown hard for the players and the code.

Why test in the off season?

I don't buy for a second it's only used in the off season. Do you only drink beer on holidays?

I'm not saying it is. By all means test during the season but there seems little point testing players who are on holidays. I have no idea why they agreed to it.

I thought that, there is so much pressure to have pretty much no body fat it steers them away from beer. In the 80s you could carry a bit of fat, noone cared.
it's interesting because it really requires healthy mind and healthy body. I'd rather have a player that is Happy and carrying an extra 1-2 kg then playing unhappy. I'm sure most would agree there is nothing worse then turning up to work un-happy / therefore unmotivated.

I don't buy for a second it's only used in the off season. Do you only drink beer on holidays?
Pretty much, yeah. And I'm no professional athlete, I just value my health.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a serious situation and you mention "most" do it because they can get away with it. Yes I think there are those that do it because they can get away with it. However, it's not just about them. It's about those that feel a need to do it. They are the ones that really need the help and I think there is some responsibility the AFL and clubs need to take to ensure these guys are educated and supported.

If they were only doing it in the offseason then they don't have a problem apart from being stupid. However, I think it's more than that.

How many times have we heard players say footy is no longer fun for them? How many suffer psychological issues (a lot more than reported I bet)? So the problem is far deeper and needs a very structured program to deal with it on all levels. It needs to apply to the kids just entering the AFL as well as those that are approaching the end of their careers.

It's not about 'significantly' decreasing the amount of uses, but at least touching every user to give them the opportunity and strength to deal with their issues and stop.

Also remember there are not too many leagues which have around 700 18-32yr olds registered players. It's right in the zone of recreational drug use, so it would be naive to think it is that simple to stop each one from taking drugs.

I also think any parents here with kids in their 20s would be shocked to know there is a possibility their kids are or have taken recreational drugs.

It's a serious situation and you mention "most" do it because they can get away with it. Yes I think there are those that do it because they can get away with it. However, it's not just about them. It's about those that feel a need to do it. They are the ones that really need the help and I think there is some responsibility the AFL and clubs need to take to ensure these guys are educated and supported.

If they were only doing it in the offseason then they don't have a problem apart from being stupid. However, I think it's more than that.

How many times have we heard players say footy is no longer fun for them? How many suffer psychological issues (a lot more than reported I bet)? So the problem is far deeper and needs a very structured program to deal with it on all levels. It needs to apply to the kids just entering the AFL as well as those that are approaching the end of their careers.

It's not about 'significantly' decreasing the amount of uses, but at least touching every user to give them the opportunity and strength to deal with their issues and stop.

Also remember there are not too many leagues which have around 700 18-32yr olds registered players. It's right in the zone of recreational drug use, so it would be naive to think it is that simple to stop each one from taking drugs.

I also think any parents here with kids in their 20s would be shocked to know there is a possibility their kids are or have taken recreational drugs.

I believe if you read my post you will note that I have acknowledge there are some who have a problem. I stand by the comment that I believe the number would drastically reduce if faced with the consequences I suggested.

If someone does not enjoy footy then quit but in my experience many in that age group dont enjoy work , studying etc etc etc. They are very very fortunate to get the opportunity. If you don't like it do something else. I really believe we make way to many excuses for people these days. I except that people stuff up. We all do but how about we get people to actually take responsibility instead of letting them off the hook all of the time.

You would be among the few. Most people hit the turps at least once a week.
That's their choice. These guys chose to be professional athletes and get paid handsomely to play at a high level.

I've never understood the "it's prevalent in society" or "they're not robots" argument. Fact is for 10 or so years they can earn more than doctors, lawyers and engineers if they can dedicate themselves to preparing their bodies and performing at their peak. If they don't want to there're plenty who would in a heartbeat.

That's their choice. These guys chose to be professional athletes and get paid handsomely to play at a high level.

I've never understood the "it's prevalent in society" or "they're not robots" argument. Fact is for 10 or so years they can earn more than doctors, lawyers and engineers if they can dedicate themselves to preparing their bodies and performing at their peak. If they don't want to there're plenty who would in a heartbeat.

Yes I agree. A couple of beers is good for you after an intense workout, I don't understand why they just can't do that. The club should put on a couple of slabs after a game like they used to because you need a release. Maybe that will stop some of them hitting the harder stuff.

Yes I agree. A couple of beers is good for you after an intense workout, I don't understand why they just can't do that. The club should put on a couple of slabs after a game like they used to because you need a release. Maybe that will stop some of them hitting the harder stuff.

Absolutely and a few hookers wouldn't go astray either.

You can do that Jason because you obviously believe the decriminalization of drugs is a good thing. I respect your opinion but many of us don't have that same belief. While I dont have my head in the clouds and understand there are many people out there who take illegal drugs(I prefer not to call them recreational) who are perfectly fine and often good high performing citizens I have also seen and know many people who's lives and who's familys lives have been destroyed by drugs. I just cannot support laws that in my opinion send the message that drugs are ok. IMO they are not ok.

What I will say is that right now these drugs are illegal and the AFL and clubs have rules against taking them. If you are getting paid alot of money to be a professional athlete and cannot except the rules that go with it then get out. It really shouldn't take all that much discipline to say, you know what I am very fortunate to be doing this as a career. I am going to respect the rules and stay off the gear.
Whilst I appreciate your attempt at a well-reasoned post, like many other posters here you have missed the 'voluntary' 'illicit' drug testing in the 'off season'.

They respect the very stringent rules during the regular season.

You seem to have confused the issue and it means that a lot of what you've written is moot.

& It's obviously better for them to take recreational drugs than to drink lots of beer.

& It's obviously better for them to take recreational drugs than to drink lots of beer.
Why not neither?

The AFL should either get serious about illicit drugs, or either simply stop testing for them/keep results entirely confidential.

What?? Hawthorn?? Now they'll never win a premiership taking that shit!
They might, just might get there, somehow because their culture is s strong, eg nobody would ever get in a car if over the limit? Their leadership group would stamp it out.

Got to laugh, "culture" just another thing that's great when you win

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast I'm so upset with the whole club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back