Roast I'm so upset with the whole club.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're a narrow-minded twat that falls for sensationalist bullshit. I think you've got no idea of the real world. I also think that when you resorted to calling someone 'thick' because they held a view different to your own, displays how 'intelligent' you really are.

There's a start.

You think illicit drug use is not an issue. And say I have no idea. Thanks for the laugh.

Lol biggest load of crap I've ever read, not going to bother retorting.
Well, just hang out for the next sensationalist headline and then get worked up over that. That's the spirit. Keep for fighting the good fight.

(Or you could actually research about countries that have adopted a harm minimilsation approach, the benefits of decriminalisation and a push by some medical practitioners for a change to drug laws...)

Explain how it's an issue. Go ahead.

I don't believe you came down in the last shower but if you didn't then you should know illicit drugs lead to psychological problems, addiction, the risk of overdose, it increases violence and crime and is a scourge on society. The drugs are unregulated, smuggled and produced by criminal gangs who could put anything in it.

You advocate letting them go nuts on it and sending a message to young people that it is ok? Unbelievable.

I don't believe you came down in the last shower but if you didn't then you should know illicit drugs lead to psychological problems, addiction, the risk of overdose, it increases violence and crime and is a scourge on society. The drugs are unregulated, smuggled and produced by criminal gangs who could put anything in it.

You advocate letting them go nuts on it and sending a message to young people that it is ok? Unbelievable.
I'm advocating that we treat footballers like human beings & admire them for playing football. If you tell young people to admire them for their football ability first and foremost, then you don't need to worry about 'the message' not testing for recreational drugs in the off season sends. As I said, I watch football for the skill. I don't turn on the TV to watch good citizens. Watch a friggin chat show with Oprah if you need that shit. They are humans and should be tested for PEDs, that's all.

And you've proved my point TBH, an AFL player is less likely to end up having their lives ruined by drugs than the rest of the population. They are more likely to suffer from the effects of alcohol or gambling which also lead to 'psychological problems', 'addiction', 'increases in violence and crime' &, in my opinion, are far bigger 'scourge(s) on society'. They do well and are entitled to let their hair down like the rest of us. Less physical issues (for the most part) with drugs than alcohol.

Also, if drugs were legal, and regulated by the government, you wouldn't need to worry about 'gangs', 'criminals' and putting 'anything in it'.

Time to get rid of the stigma. Time to move beyond headlines.

I'm advocating that we treat footballers like human beings & admire them for playing football. If you tell young people to admire them for their football ability first and foremost, then you don't need to worry about 'the message' not testing for recreational drugs in the off season sends. As I said, I watch football for the skill. I don't turn on the TV to watch good citizens. Watch a friggin chat show with Oprah if you need that shit. They are humans and should be tested for PEDs, that's all.

And you've proved my point TBH, an AFL player is less likely to end up having their lives ruined by drugs than the rest of the population. They are more likely to suffer from the effects of alcohol or gambling which also lead to 'psychological problems', 'addiction', 'increases in violence and crime' &, in my opinion, are far bigger 'scourge(s) on society'. They do well and are entitled to let their hair down like the rest of us. Less physical issues (for the most part) with drugs than alcohol.

Also, if drugs were legal, and regulated by the government, you wouldn't need to worry about 'gangs', 'criminals' and putting 'anything in it'.

Time to get rid of the stigma. Time to move beyond headlines.

Don't believe what you are saying. Remove the 'stigma' of illegal drugs?? An AFL player is equally likely to get into trouble with drugs as anyone else, they are only human like all of us.

Don't believe what you are saying. Remove the 'stigma' of illegal drugs?? An AFL player is equally likely to get into trouble with drugs as anyone else, they are only human like all of us.
They are in a job where drug dependency would stand out like dog's balls. They are paid more than most of the population.
Hence, as a cross-section of society, much less likely to 'suffer' from recreational drug-taking. And are doing better than most. Hence, no 'massive issue' as you claim.

Again, research the countries that have decriminalised recreational drugs, consider the arguments from health professionals for it. You yourself have spoken about how unregulated the industry is, can you see a solution? Imagine if coppers could catch genuine criminals and how much better the legal system could be if it wasn't cluttered with petty drug possession cases. Yes, stigma.

(But yeah, don't address any of my other points or anything)

The players agreed to voluntarily sign on for hair testing during the off season, its not compulsory, they did it knowing slaps on the wrist and a fine would be the worst that could happen first up and it was all in house.

The AFLPA will now probably advise the AFL that they can go and get stuffed, players will not volunteer for a non-compulsory, out of season testing when the confidentiality around it cannot be guaranteed.

That loss was just unacceptable. I can't stomach losing by that much to a side that's been our bunnies for years and it's round 1 where is the hope for the rest of 2016?? I'm a broken man.
I feel your pain..............my neighbor is a Swans supporter........has had a look on his face like he got shot up the arse with a rainbow.

This board is embarrassing after a loss. It's one ******* game and everyone is acting like its the end of the world....

Some people need to get away from their computers I think

Sorry Cory - it isn't the round 1 loss that should be highlighted but the continuing decline in performance from what is arguably the greatest club in Australia - whom I love to death and have done for many years which makes the abysmal performance and continuing lack of improvement all the worse.

Rossco

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am hoping it was a case of you guys being bad and not the Swans being so good or we are in trouble next week. It doesn't help when you lose one of your key midfielders so early in the game, looked ugly, hope it is not too bad.
Sydney were pretty good but we made them look good with ridiculously loose game plan. Will have to wait till they play a real team - hmm I'll have to look at their draw to see who's coming up after you...

Yes I would. I didn't say that breaking the hypothetical clause would result in automatic dismissal, but it could provide a grounds for dismissal and put you in the discretion of the AFL and/or club.

There would need to be discretion applied, but at least it would be clear that this discretion DID apply and how it applied as opposed to the current situation where there is significant debate as to whether its even their employer's business. That's what I'm saying, make it explicit that the expectation is that they conduct themselves as role models at all times, give them a good pay increase to compensate for that clarified extra demand, rather than what we do at the moment when they can rightly argue being a role model isn't really in their job description. Not like anyone could be forced to sign a contract with the AFL against their will.

And speeding is illegal and can be dangerous, so yeah, don't know why you'd suggest it as a supposedly harmless example.
Depends what drug it is. I actually think from personal experience that pot is one of the worst for athletic performance. the odd line of coke probably not too damaging but that's probably on the performance enhancing list so would get a player into deep doo doo.

I don't believe you came down in the last shower but if you didn't then you should know illicit drugs lead to psychological problems

Or alternately, they take drugs because of psychological problems.

addiction

A very minor percentage of drug users develop addiction. Those at risk generally have other vulnerabilities (history of trauma, mental illness, dysfunctional family background, unemployment etc.).
the risk of overdose

The majority of overdoses are from prescription opioids and benzodiazepines

it increases violence and crime

Not always. Booze is the number 1 for that (although methamphetamines can cause one to become violent).
The drugs are unregulated, smuggled and produced by criminal gangs who could put anything in it

Not the biggest killer drugs in the country (as mentioned above).

Nobody is suggesting that. You're making shit up.

I prefer to evaluate the scientific evidence on the topic rather than run around all Mister Mackey. FWIW, it's not the addictive nature of the drug itself that is the cause of addiction, rather the individual's own vulnerabilities and their environment.

Familiarise yourself with Bruce Alexander's "Rat Park" to gain a greater understanding of my above comment

Just let them go you reckon? I'd call you a couple of other things if I wouldn't get a card.
Easily fixed, here you go :p

Here's a few queens for you

image.jpeg

Are clubs to professional these day's.. not even that long ago early 90's after games players would share a few drinks. now I'm not saying down a slab but you hear more often then not that players find it difficult to switch off in season and especially after games. once the players have cooled down etc then what would the harm be as a team and in a controlled environment to unwind and have a few cold ones, take the tension out and wind down. rather then most likely players going out themselves in uncontrolled environments taking substances etc.

I have just about totally lost faith in the club. Not because of last night, although that's part of it, but the statements I'm reading from Eddie and Bucks.

Oh the players are so hard done by! "It's like taking a breathaliser to a work xmas party and calling everyone an alcoholic" says Eddie.

No it's not Eddie, it's not at all. Illicit drugs are ILLEGAL. There is ZERO tolerance for taking them in the law and there is ZERO tolerance in any other industry (apart from lawyers probably).

Bucks reckons the blokes were let down and 'betrayed' which affected their performance. Boo ******* hoo, cry me a river mate. If you weren't taking drugs you wouldn't have an issue.

No bloody wonder it's rife within the club when the president and head coach no less are making excuses for them and condoning it. These are professional athletes!

The only ones I feel sorry for are the ones who didn't do it but now live under suspicion. Eddie, Bucks, the drug taking players, you can all GAGF. Time for a cleanout starting at the top.
I'm a lawyer and even I can't take illicit drugs except for cocaine.

I think many are missing the point here. Recreational drug taking is obviously an issue in society. I think it has been acknowledged by the AFLPA and AFL and even the players. For players to VOLUNTEER to be tested for recreational drugs (and not performance enhancing) suggests they would welcome some support. Otherwise why the hell would you volunteer when you know you have been taking shit?? So, this is a first step in acknowledging the issue and actually attempting to identify the scale of the issue. I'm sure the next step is to put in place a program or support for the young men (both current and future) which helps them steer clear of it.

What?? Hawthorn?? Now they'll never win a premiership taking that shit!

No way known

Ben-Cousins-5423618.jpg

Are clubs to professional these day's.. not even that long ago early 90's after games players would share a few drinks. now I'm not saying down a slab but you hear more often then not that players find it difficult to switch off in season and especially after games. once the players have cooled down etc then what would the harm be as a team and in a controlled environment to unwind and have a few cold ones, take the tension out and wind down. rather then most likely players going out themselves in uncontrolled environments taking substances etc.

I thought that, there is so much pressure to have pretty much no body fat it steers them away from beer. In the 80s you could carry a bit of fat, noone cared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast I'm so upset with the whole club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back