In All Preliminary Finals Where Does That One Rate ???

Remove this Banner Ad

DAWS #7

Senior List
Jul 6, 2004
Other Teams
kangaroos
i think thats one of the best preliminary finals i have seen that is right up there!
even though im a roos man and have seen many great preliminary finals myself!.....one of the closest finals ever.....we couldnt ask for anymore.....both sides busted there guts!

thoughts????

somewhere between 7 and 15

there have been many good prelims.

where's jim main, he can tell us all about it :p

gotta be kidding:

in chronological order all the following were better games:

NM vs Geel 1994
Syd vs Ess 1996
Adel vs Bulldogs 1997
Ess vs Carl 1999
Ess vs Haw 2001
Bris vs Syd 2003

Nightwolf_69 said:
About as even as Hawthorn v Essendon 2001, agree or disagree?
read my thoughts exactly. the first half of the 3rd quarter meant hawthorn vs essendon of 2001 got the nod for mine

im not saying rank them but that was ONE .....not the best preliminary final but one of.....ess vs carl was good there have also been many good roos finals also .....go roos 2005 and beyond!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Munga said:
Which game were you watching? Just because it doesn't happen in the last minute doesn't mean it's not as critical to the outcome.
Well it had the tension. I was there and boy did it have the tension.
But over time when you realise that a lot of that was due to skill errors or umpiring decisions affecting the outcome I can't see it being one to pull out the DVD of. But I'm too close to see it clearly, we'll see what neutral supporters think.

Written the next morning
Rereading that today I can't believe how -ve I sound, I was so happy when I wrote it. The consequence of exhaustion, getting wife and 4 kids to bed, fielding phone calls, drinking whisky.
The game was bl**dy great and people will look back on it for years to discuss. What I'm trying to say is that there are some matches where the skills on both sides are superb and the efforts of all players on both sides are top notch and this wasn't one of those. So when people rank these things, as they do, this is unlikely to be at the top.
But for guts, bravery, determination, coaching skill, individual episodes of brilliance and all those other things that make a great game it was everything you would want footy to be.

Powerstufff said:
we'll see what neutral supporters think.

If you insist :)

I think if anything port got the better run, but for the whole, I don't think the umpiring contributed overly to the result, been a lot worse.

I thought it was a great game.

I'll be switching over to Fox Footy in a few minutes to watch the replay.

Hopefully tonight can be somewhere near last nights game.

dumesny1 said:
I thought it was pretty boring myself.
Not one of the better games of the year.

Boring? You've got to be kidding.

I'd rate last night's match ahead of Essendon v Hawthorn 2001 pretty easily, actually. Ess v Haw was only good in the last quarter or quarter and a half.

Last night's game had everything, from start to finish!

Sydney v Essendon 1996

1pt

After the siren

Awesome game

And just like Sydney in 1996, Port have played their Grannie one week early.

Ted Pellitts said:
gotta be kidding:

NM vs Geel 1994
Syd vs Ess 1996
Adel vs Bulldogs 1997
Ess vs Carl 1999
Ess vs Haw 2001
Bris vs Syd 2003

I dont rate last nights as the best i have seen, surely that honour goes to the famous one of 99. However a game of 9 lead changes and a biggest lead of 14 points leads me to believe that this game was certainly better than some of the afore mentioned games. Sure the other games had great moments, particually at the end, but weren't nessicirally great games. But it does go to show that most of the best finals games are indeed played in Prelims instead of GF's. If only we could have this standard of game a week later, would make for the greatest spectacle of all.

Ted Pellitts said:
gotta be kidding:

NM vs Geel 1994
Syd vs Ess 1996
Adel vs Bulldogs 1997
Ess vs Carl 1999
Ess vs Haw 2001
Bris vs Syd 2003

Essendon Vs Adelaide 1993
Essendon Vs Brisbane 1996

topdon said:
Essendon Vs Adelaide 1993
Essendon Vs Brisbane 1996

Essendon didn't play Brisbane in a prelim in '96.

That might have been the qualifying final.

The two prelims were Sydney v Essendon, and Kangaroos versus Brisbane (I think?).

Not an Essendon v Brisbane prelim though.

Remove this Banner Ad

In All Preliminary Finals Where Does That One Rate ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back