Toast In Praise Of Leigh Mathews

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch as the match review panel wipes him out for THAT tackle.

They've let that sort of thing go so far this year. I think he'll be OK. It was close though, the Don's player (can't remember who) only just got himself up. If he had have been a bit more 'out of it' and forced out of the game, then the MRP would have more reason to look at it.

Will Silent Alarm 's declaration about how soft,clueless and generally pointless Taberner was,lift him as much as Leigh lifted Sandi??
On reflection Sandi knows who Leigh is and Silent knows who they both are but neither of them have heard of Silent so as you were.Nothing to see here.;)

Yep Thx Leigh.

That's some of the best tapwork I have seen from him.
Looks like he was angry and wanted to prove something.
Cant remember the last time he tapped over his head normally always chose the safer in front or down at feet option.
Fantastic to see him taking a few chances with his taps.
May not have happened without the comments from Leigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He misses a week then Clarke will truly get his chance to shine... maybe bring back Griffen to get some fresh experience for 2014.

Didn't see him this week, but last I looked Griff seemed a fair way off being able to play an AFL game.

LOL, there must have been a glitch when an add didn't come on and Gerard asked the other two "was there anything in the Sandi bump?"

They both answered "nope" straight away.

Gerard explained that he had had a call from an "Eagles insider" who reckoned it was worth 3 weeks.

The other two then asked when do the Eagles play Freo?

Can't believe people actually think Leigh's article had much influence on sandi or his ruck ruck strategies today :confused::confused::confused:

If footy players actually gave a toss about the media ( or even read/watched much for that matter) then I still believe it wouldn't impact a teams set-ups....
FFS, anyone consider that maybe we've been training these plays for months previously ?
Nah, Leigh comes out with a bit of pragmatic dribble and suddenly stone and kirky decide we better mix it up in the middle.

Just a shame no one recognises sandi's supreme work enough without being led to the issue....

Can't believe people actually think Leigh's article had much influence on sandi or his ruck ruck strategies today :confused::confused::confused:

If footy players actually gave a toss about the media ( or even read/watched much for that matter) then I still believe it wouldn't impact a teams set-ups....
FFS, anyone consider that maybe we've been training these plays for months previously ?
Nah, Leigh comes out with a bit of pragmatic dribble and suddenly stone and kirky decide we better mix it up in the middle.

Just a shame no one recognises sandi's supreme work enough without being led to the issue....

Just because players say they pay no attention doesn't make it true.
Have you ever googled your name?
No matter how much a player hates the media, most will always see any stories good or bad about them.
They wont go out of their way to find them but they will generally see them or be told about them by friends/family.
They will say they don't care etc etc but it still has some effect.

Loved seeing angry Sandi and if it was as a result of the Mathews article so be it, hopefully he can keep it up throughout the season to some degree.

Due to his size and the fyfe precedent I am concerned that he will come under the scrutiny of the tribunal though.

I think Mathews status in the game goes well beyond "the media", and if Sandilands did not see it originally it would have been brought to his attention before the game for sure. He has been playing well, but he definitely brought more physical intimidation to yesterday's game than he usually does. All our A graders seemed to step up, and Sandilands was front and centre.

Just because players say they pay no attention doesn't make it true.
Have you ever googled your name?
No matter how much a player hates the media, most will always see any stories good or bad about them.
They wont go out of their way to find them but they will generally see them or be told about them by friends/family.
They will say they don't care etc etc but it still has some effect.

I can honestly say I've never googled my name ...
And while most players have contact with the media in the form of interviews and community days they don't actively seek out opinion pieces on themselves. Players and clubs put a lot of work into their psychological development so taking in media junk is the last thing they want to be doing after training their thought patterns for positive based thinking

Don't believe what the players and club say.
Its human nature to want to know whats being said about you.
They just say all that stuff to try and make it seem like it doesn't matter to them and has no effect.
So that if anything extremely bad is said they can just brush it off.
Look how long it took Crowley to find out about GAblett crying about him.
Or Ballantyne hearing about other players remarks when he got hit by Scarlett.
They don't seek it out but one way or another they find out about things.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the coaching staff took the article to Sandi to fire him up and go out and prove a point.

Its not a coincidence that Sandi came out with a completely new attitude this week.
Something got him fired up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast In Praise Of Leigh Mathews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back