Indigenous Round "Captain"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
This weekend is the Indigenous round in the AFL and from some of the stories I have read they are getting the teams to pick an Aboriginal player to do the toss of the coin as acting captain.

Unless my brain has fried and I can't remember, aren't the Clarke boys our only Indi boys? Unless Raf plays who do we pick? Does Gwilty qualify? He is PNG I think or one of the islands.

Or do we just let Rooey do it as per usual.

I know, bring back Winmar for one night only, I would pay to see that.

I'd love to see them bring back Winmar to toss the coin for us in the Indigenous round.

After all, he was one of the leaders in terms of standing up for indigenous footballers rights on the field. I also remember him presenting the Marn Grook trophy to us for a win against the Bulldogs a few years ago. Got a massive standing 'O' from the Saints supporters when he went out on the ground to present it.

I'm sure all the players would get a buzz out of having him there too, especially Rooey.

2371620.jpg

Did anyone see Adam Goodes' best ever Indigenous 22? Absolute rubbish, they must've given him 2 minutes to select it. Ash McGrath on the HBF, no Winmar at all. Oh yeah, Shannon Motlop on the bench, not Daniel, Shannon.

Ash McGrath is a shocking player, And Shannon Motlop really never delivered at all.

Brilliant photo that one. He sure stuck it up the Collingwood ferals at Victoria Park that day.

Did anyone see Adam Goodes' best ever Indigenous 22? Absolute rubbish, they must've given him 2 minutes to select it. Ash McGrath on the HBF, no Winmar at all. Oh yeah, Shannon Motlop on the bench, not Daniel, Shannon.

Ash McGrath is a shocking player, And Shannon Motlop really never delivered at all.

I haven't seen Goodes' side but surely any Best Ever Indigenous team has to include Winmar. He played 251 games including 2 St Kilda B&F's, 2 All Australians and was a Michael Tuck Medallist. You would think that puts him ahead of the likes of Ash McGrath and Shannon Motlop.

Disappointing to think Goodes would overlook someone of Winmar's standing. You can only hope that he was rushed into doing it or someone else picked it for him.

I haven't seen Goodes' side but surely any Best Ever Indigenous team has to include Winmar. He played 251 games including 2 St Kilda B&F's, 2 All Australians and was a Michael Tuck Medallist. You would think that puts him ahead of the likes of Ash McGrath and Shannon Motlop.

Disappointing to think Goodes would overlook someone of Winmar's standing. You can only hope that he was rushed into doing it or someone else picked it for him.

B: D. Wirrapanda | D. White | G. Wanganeen
HB: P. Burgoyne | C. Johnson | A. McGrath
C: M. Long | C. Bateman | P. Matera
HF: C. Lewis | L. Franklin | D. Headland
F:C. Rioli | M. O'Loughlin | B. Pickett
Foll: G. Farmer | S. Burgoyne | A. McLeod
INT: M. Williams | W. Abraham | S. Motlop | M. Stokes

Doesn't look like he rushed it since there are a few past players in there, it would seem to me that he didn't rate him, which is great and all since he's an umpires pet himself.:p

Would Adam Goodes even have played against Winmar? His team looks like blokes from his time playing only (hence no Polly, Cable, Rioli etc.) and iirc Winmar's last year was 99 which was the year before Goodes won the rising star? If so that'd explain his abscence.

Why Motlop beat his brother and McGrath's in there instead of Farmer or Aaron Davey I have NFI.

On topic, from memory the Clarke brothers and Tungatulam are the only aboriginal blokes on our list. I don't think Ross'd include Raph purely for the sake of this particular rounds gimmick though, so Nicky would be a top idea if you could convince him to come back.

Wouldn't mind seeing Choo Choo out there getting amongst it though, if only for the coin toss!

Lol, Cyril Rioli. That's outrageous, the guy's played 30 games. Unbelievable. Also McGrath is a massive hack while Headland is the most disappointing #1 pick. Winwmar is bette rthan most players on that list.

B: D. Wirrapanda | D. White | G. Wanganeen
HB: P. Burgoyne | C. Johnson | A. McGrath
C: M. Long | C. Bateman | P. Matera
HF: C. Lewis | L. Franklin | D. Headland
F:C. Rioli | M. O'Loughlin | B. Pickett
Foll: G. Farmer | S. Burgoyne | A. McLeod
INT: M. Williams | W. Abraham | S. Motlop | M. Stokes

Doesn't look like he rushed it since there are a few past players in there, it would seem to me that he didn't rate him, which is great and all since he's an umpires pet himself.:p

one of the worst teams i have seen

lovett ahead of stokes imo
NICKY WINMAR ahead of shannon motlop stokes mark wiliams headland mcgrath crap too many to name

i think its very ordinary

Would Adam Goodes even have played against Winmar? His team looks like blokes from his time playing only (hence no Polly, Cable, Rioli etc.) and iirc Winmar's last year was 99 which was the year before Goodes won the rising star? If so that'd explain his abscence.

Why Motlop beat his brother and McGrath's in there instead of Farmer or Aaron Davey I have NFI.

Yeah I think Goodes career probably started after Winmar's career finished, which may explain his absence. Then again he does have Graeme "Polly" Farmer in there, who played back in the '60s, as well as Michael Long whose career finished about the same time as Winmar.

He's also left out a few other great indigenous players from the past as well, such as the Krakouer brothers and Maurice Rioli, who all played WAFL & VFL back in the 1980's. Any of those players deserve to be in that team ahead of McGrath, Motlop, Stokes or Abraham.

Long was still around in 2000 to snipe a young troy simmonds in the granny though, and I don't think that was his last game.

But yeah didn't notice Polly in there, but he's the only one who played before Goodesy's time. Probably put himself first ruck but decided to change it at the last minute to not seem arrogant :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think Goodes career probably started after Winmar's career finished, which may explain his absence. Then again he does have Graeme "Polly" Farmer in there, who played back in the '60s, as well as Michael Long whose career finished about the same time as Winmar.

He's also left out a few other great indigenous players from the past as well, such as the Krakouer brothers and Maurice Rioli, who all played WAFL & VFL back in the 1980's. Any of those players deserve to be in that team ahead of McGrath, Motlop, Stokes or Abraham.

Plug i think thats Geoff Farmer - The filthy squib.

yeah it is just the brothers Goodes has played against.

Plug i think thats Geoff Farmer - The filthy squib.

yeah it is just the brothers Goodes has played against.

Nah I'm pretty sure it's Polly Farmer as he was a ruckman. I think Jeff Farmer may be a bit small for the ruck :D Even so I'd still have the Wiz ahead of some of the other hacks in that team.

As Tassie pointed out, Goodes probably named himself in the ruck and then someone tapped him on the shoulder and told him it might be better if he put someone else in there.

Well it seems my little "joke" (although it would be great to see him again) about Winmar coming back for the toss has turned into a massive spray at Goodes.

Good job boys.

That team he has "chosen" is a disgrace. If they are the best Aboriginal players he can come up with then I hope he has no say in the votes at the Swans.

The Krakeours, Maurice Rioli, Derek Kickett and of course Nicky "I am Aboriginal, deal with it!" Winmar. Where are they?

Shame Adam, Shame.

I think ill do Adam Goodes a big favour here because as usual there are too many people on here quick to bring a bloke down.

How stupid do you think a bloke could be? If you look closely you might notice that every player in that team has played in a premiership!

Lets see if any of you are just as quick to make an apology as you are to bag a bloke behind your computer screen.

Ross Tungtatulum should be elevated from the rookie list onto the the seniors playing list for this week and be given the captaincy on his debut in indegenous round :thumbsu: haha

I think ill do Adam Goodes a big favour here because as usual there are too many people on here quick to bring a bloke down.

How stupid do you think a bloke could be? If you look closely you might notice that every player in that team has played in a premiership!

Lets see if any of you are just as quick to make an apology as you are to bag a bloke behind your computer screen.

they played in a premiership... and???? Half of them are flogs.

Get back to the Adelaide board you filthy inbred.

I will bag who ever i damn well please behind my computer screen.

You can't be serious. Since when has premierships got anything to do with rating individual players?

Just because guys like Stokes or Headland were lucky enough to play in premiership teams with other very, good players doesn't make them better than players like Winmar.

You had hacks like Aaron Keating & Chad Rintoul play in your '97 Premiership team, does that make them better players than Robert Harvey? No ****ing chance.

A premiership is penultimate team success and should have little baring on the decisions of the individual unless they starred in one. You have individuals who gained a premiership medallion on the back of <10 possessions with 2 effective, these are hardly players of heightened sense and immaculate skills, they are just guys with better players around them.

To use it as an excuse for picking singular talent is to say that a guy who played 1 game for 1 premiership is a better prospect than a guy who's played 300+ games for none but Brownlows, AFLPA's, Norm Smiths, AA Rep jumpers.

So no, it's not a viable excuse that "oh they played in a premiership side, they must be a super awesome player!"

If Raph insn't part of the team, I reckon it would be a good gesture to nominate X, to hobble on and toss the coin. He has played more than 100 games for StKilda , and usually puts a lot of effort into his games.
Since it is no sure thing that he will ever get another game ( remember Attard ) it would be one small way to honor him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Indigenous Round "Captain"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back