Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Saints v Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats what the club said about trading McEvoy.... we have three ruckman (Longer, Hickey, Pierce) . "He's excess to needs... Rucks are a dime a dozen"

Then a few years later we had no effective ruckmen on our list.

People say we can't use history to govern our future, but the smart people say that you use history to learn from your mistakes.
Like everything during that time the problem wasn’t that we dealt McEvoy it was the player we took with the pick. That’s what it always comes down to. If we pick Merrett instead of Dunstan we look like geniuses but instead it was another butcher job.

I like your optimism, both of you. The optimism to think things aren't looking dire.

However, St Kilda has played 291 games at Marvel over the past 25 seasons (300, but I'm excluding 9 in 2020 and 2021)

Our recent home games against Gold Coast, Port and West Coast all fall within the bottom 20 for crowds.

This is especially worrying when you consider the games were in decent time slots- 110pm Sunday, 145pm Saturday and 730pm Saturday. None fell in the horrible 320pm and 440pm Sunday slots.
Lots of kids play sport on Saturdays. Not a great time really.

4 of our last 5 home games with sub-20,000 crowds, with 2 of those being Saturday night games. And none being 4:35pm/4:40pm.

Yes low drawing opposition, poor weather, cold/flu season etc.

All normal things.

Worrying no matter how you spin it.

Yay we beat a WAFL team.
Can only beat who we played. 🙄
What’s your point? Everyone plays WC. We beat them there too.

You know we’ve had probably our best mid out for the year?
And whether you like it or not, King as well.

Nobody’s going over the top, but seriously…🙄

Last edited:
Lots of kids play sport on Saturdays. Not a great time really.
On the other hand, no one with kids under 8 or 9 is attending a 4:35pm/4:40pm game. Especially a Sunday.

I was there yesterday but I wouldn't make a late arvo game.

Everyone in this thread seems keen to make excuses for our poor crowds.

The Freo and Gold Coast games were Saturday night

Gold Coast was a long weekend- there's another excuse if you wanna use it.

For me, it's worrying.

Like everything during that time the problem wasn’t that we dealt McEvoy it was the player we took with the pick. That’s what it always comes down to. If we pick Merrett instead of Dunstan we look like geniuses but instead it was another butcher job.
Yep.

And our player development was going through it's 'decadeus horribilus'. There was every chance that we might turn strawberry jam into pig shyte

With Carroll and Hayes overseeing development I think we're allowed to overlook some of our past sins and have faith that selected players will be given every chance to develop to their full potential.

My big takeaway from today’s game is that Sharman must play seniors from now on . He can lead , he can mark , he can kick from 50 easily, he tackles or at least puts pressure on his opponents. His confidence seems to be improving. And next season he will give us another option , along with Membrey , rather than just kicking long and high to King all the time . He is going to be a hard player to match up on for other teams especially if their focus is all on King .
I would like to see these young players getting a start , even on the bench , rather than being a sub all the time .
Agree to see the ball sail through from outside 50 and nearly a third -invaluable

yes, use it to learn.

when we had mcevoy we only had Hickey on the list so im unsure where your history comes from.

howver i dont see how a trade from a decade ago compares to a free agent leaving? the club is well and truly all over what is needed from the draft, but i suppose as is the norm, we dont listen to the club, only what happened over a decade ago..

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get my history from databases.

Three extra ruckman on our list in 2013 (Pierce, Hickey, Stanley)

Then the McEvoy ... Longer movements done in the same draft process. The club would have gone into this draft with a plan to get this done.

Club obviously saw value in moving on a best 22 player for draft picks because they had others who were going to fill the gap.

I get my history from databases.

Three extra ruckman on our list in 2013 (Pierce, Hickey, Stanley)

Then the McEvoy ... Longer movements done in the same draft process. The club would have gone into this draft with a plan to get this done.

Club obviously saw value in moving on a best 22 player for draft picks because they had others who were going to fill the gap.
so wjat youre saying is that history will most likely repeat....

even though there are completely different people in charge and competely differebt club perspectives as well?

right

Something worth remembering with Battle is we have a generous contract in front of him. It's nothing like McEvoy who we chose to trade.

If Battle chooses to leave then it's his choice, hopefully it's for a contract big enough to get band one.

so wjat youre saying is that history will most likely repeat....

even though there are completely different people in charge and competely differebt club perspectives as well?

right

That’s why I don’t understand the “we’re historically bad at our first round pick choices” argument.

It’s history. With different people in charge now. And let’s hope better outcomes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 of our last 5 home games with sub-20,000 crowds, with 2 of those being Saturday night games. And none being 4:35pm/4:40pm.

All normal things.

probably because our season was over before we got decent home games, as usual, fixturing screwing us over when we have 5 home games by round 13 and the ones we do get are vs interstate clubs.

Pies Dogs and Norf

Gee away
Hawks in Tas
Rich away

Ess
Lions
Gee to come
3rd year running Blues host us
When was the last time we played Pies or blues twice in a year?

not sure where youre getting those stats from

View attachment 2054311
View attachment 2054312

A Fox Footy article -

2. HOT TRADE TARGET BOOSTS VALUE

He looms as one of the biggest names of this year’s trade period.

And while the footy world remains unsure whether he’ll stay at St Kilda or go, Josh Battle continues to be a key cog in the Saints’ machine – and enhance his value.

Battle was composed across half-back, finishing with 16 disposals, eight intercepts and six marks. He also snuck forward for a goal.

It was the latest solid outing in a purple patch for Battle, who’s among the top 14 players in the league for intercept marks and intercept possessions since Round 12.

And it comes with Battle in hot demand, with the defender attracting interest from Hawthorn – to the point where it’d reportedly be prepared to offer him a $950,000-per-year contract.

“He’s a great size, he can play tall and small, he’s a great intercept mark and he uses the ball particularly well. We shouldn’t be surprised (he’s attracting interest),” Buckley told Fox Footy.

People wanting us to overpay Josh Battle seem to have forgotten what happened to Collingwood when they overpaid Grundy, Tom Phillips and Treloar

Also what is happening to Melbourne with Oliver

Also what happened to Gold Coast with Brodie, Sharp, and Bowes

Last edited:
People wanting us to overpay Josh Battle seem to have forgotten what happened to Collingwood when they overpaid Grundy, Tom Phillips and Treloar

The alternative is to never pay anyone and let good/great players go to other clubs 🤷‍♂️

All normal things.

What crowd would you realistically expect to get to games against WC, Port, GC and Freo?

First half yesterday
hill benny GIF

A Fox Footy article -

2. HOT TRADE TARGET BOOSTS VALUE

He looms as one of the biggest names of this year’s trade period.

And while the footy world remains unsure whether he’ll stay at St Kilda or go, Josh Battle continues to be a key cog in the Saints’ machine – and enhance his value.

Battle was composed across half-back, finishing with 16 disposals, eight intercepts and six marks. He also snuck forward for a goal.

It was the latest solid outing in a purple patch for Battle, who’s among the top 14 players in the league for intercept marks and intercept possessions since Round 12.

And it comes with Battle in hot demand, with the defender attracting interest from Hawthorn – to the point where it’d reportedly be prepared to offer him a $950,000-per-year contract.

“He’s a great size, he can play tall and small, he’s a great intercept mark and he uses the ball particularly well. We shouldn’t be surprised (he’s attracting interest),” Buckley told Fox Footy.
...who’s among the top 14 players in the league for intercept marks and intercept possessions since Round 12 at
Bellerive Oval on the third day of the second test versus the Windies.

Well, the Pies did win a flag shortly afterwards. Haven't forgotten that.

I realise we have such high standards for him now and probably take it for granted, but not enough love for Callum Wilkie.

127 consecutive games, 40+ 1-on-1 contests this year with 0 losses, and to top it off, covered the most distance out of all players on the ground yesterday. Is there anything the man can't do? :fire:

If he plays another 5 years like this he'll have to go down as one of our best defenders of all time.

P.S. give him the captaincy next year please Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Saints v Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back