Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

This is ******* bullshit. Hill should be in his prime right now and is forced to put up with our shit S & C team. Feel bad for the guy. Sandilands needs to retire now I'm afraid, he's had his day.

Same draft; Shuey, Sidebottom, Ziebell, Beams, Redden, Hanneberry. Plenty of duds too. He should be in his prime but some players get cut down. Look at Hanneberry.

This is ******* bullshit. Hill should be in his prime right now and is forced to put up with our shit S & C team. Feel bad for the guy. Sandilands needs to retire now I'm afraid, he's had his day.

Like the game a few years back when Hilly & Danger were battling it out for BOG honours at Subi....That kind of Hilly would be so useful for us right now!

Like the game a few years back when Hilly & Danger were battling it out for BOG honours at Subi....That kind of Hilly would be so useful for us right now!
Hill and Blakely back would give us so many more options. Oh well, never going to happen by the look of it.

This part interested me on the related afl.com.au article:
Harley Bennell, who doesn't have a timeframe to return from his latest calf issue, took a step forward by briefly joining the warm-up before moving back to his rehab running program.”

Hold the champagne... “briefly joined the warm-up”. What’s involved in the WARMUP? Bit of a jog and stretch, light kick around.

JFC. Also I can’t stand Lyon and his ‘meh’ attitude sometimes. Like “oh yeah it’s his quad and calf, was that not on the website? Yeahhh he’s gonna be out for ages”

Sack everyone!

Harley Bennell, who doesn't have a timeframe to return from his latest calf issue, took a step forward by briefly joining the warm-up before moving back to his rehab running program.”

Hold the champagne... “briefly joined the warm-up”. What’s involved in the WARMUP? Bit of a jog and stretch, light kick around.

Harley managing to take one step forward literally is his warm up these days

I saw him briefly on TV. Looked ok with some speed and changing direction.

However.... how does SHill get a calf injury while rehabbing a hamstring? This should NOT be happening. Was it the same for Sandi? There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the S & C for this to be happening again and again and again!

It makes you worry as it's not like this is something new. We seem to have had a problem with injuries for a long, long time now.

What I don't understand is how we can't get Bennell on the field like GC did. Unless GC ran him into the ground and our medicos did a lousy job of due diligence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if we had to fix Tom Scully.

TBA til Round 14
8 weeks
7-8 weeks
7 weeks
Re-injured in rehab
TBA
Makes WAFL debut in Round 16 2020
Does a calf

F**k every single thing about our S&C team!
It makes you worry as it's not like this is something new. We seem to have had a problem with injuries for a long, long time now.

What I don't understand is how we can't get Bennell on the field like GC did. Unless GC ran him into the ground and our medicos did a lousy job of due diligence.

This is my thinking too. He’s played 80ish games of football- most of which with GC. How did they manage to get him on the park so often?

Drink up mate. Shiels and 36 year old Burgoyne is totally the same as;

23 yr old Blakely
20 yr old Logue
20 yr old Cox
28 yr old S Hill
26 yr old Bennell
31 yr old Ballantyne
36 yr old Sandilands

All going down with soft tissue injuries, some of which are recurrences and with no known return date.
Just to put some clarity on Blakely his hamstring was an impact injury where by he fumbled a ball then when at full stretch got bumped into by Hughes which caused the tear. S&C had nothing to do with his injury

Unbelievable. Remember the heady days of January when we were all planning our best 22. SHill and Blakely joining Fyfe in the middle to form a formidable unit, Harley pushing Ballas out of a job, Sandi v Darcy for number 1 tuck and Logue becoming the next McGovern down back. And now look at us.

Ross under pressure and rightly so but the incompetence of our S&C teams as well as our awful recruiting in some of the 2010s drafts hasn’t helped him. Staggering these people allnstill have jobs.

Just to put some clarity on Blakely his hamstring was an impact injury where by he fumbled a ball then when at full stretch got bumped into by Hughes which caused the tear. S&C had nothing to do with his injury

You can’t actually say that. Maybe the muscle was fatigued or over stressed and tight due to the high running workload? There’s no history of hamstring injuries for him and something as innocuous as being bumped shouldn’t tear a healthy hamstring.

No problems mate. Let's add Switkowski to the list in his place. A professional S&C team should be able to overcome pre-existing injuries that occur in semi pro leagues.

8 players is almost 20% of the list. It can not be excused or downplayed.

Don't actually do this.

If anyone wants to feel what it's like, grab a heavy weight and hold it above your head while jogging on a treadmill, then have a friend poke you with a single finger sideways just a tad.

It's like asking a car to drive on a railway track and not get broken. You'll get sudden sore spots and tightness in your core, down your legs. Your body is really adaptable but there are angles that force cannot be resisted by your body enough to protect against damage.

Your knee will break open no matter how strong your leg muscles are if you put a load through it the wrong way, your hamstrings will try their hardest to keep you moving if you get an impact to your upper body but they aren't going to be able to stand up to that load of your body weight plus the sudden dynamic load of someone else's body on yours at the wrong point.

It's like performing a nordic hamstring curl and someone drops a bucketload of water, a big water brick, on your upper back. As in a near instantly evaporating force that puts a sudden and sharp load on your body in an instant. You're not made of steel.

This is a nordic hamstring curl

A more intense one:

I don't care about individual instances, I'm just sick of hearing "it was just unlucky" or "it's complicated". I don't know any other businesses that'd accept luck as an excuse for poor performance - especially when it is over an extended period of time (eg West Coast and free kick differential - anyone thinking they are just lucky is a goose).

If you employ the services of an investment broker, and they continue to deliver you subpar returns, do you accept their excuse of 'luck'? No you get rid of them and move forward. Fremantle caring about the welfare of their players etc is one of the big reasons I support the club over others but sometimes I think we just aren't ruthless enough with decision making.

I'm sure Weber and his team are nice intelligent people but the reality is their main KPI is player availability and they've been failing that for quite a while now. Astonishing we haven't been willing to make that hard decision but meanwhile our coach and key players, who have understandably struggled due to player availability are the only ones put under immense pressure by the media.

I don't care about individual instances, I'm just sick of hearing "it was just unlucky" or "it's complicated". I don't know any other businesses that'd accept luck as an excuse for poor performance - especially when it is over an extended period of time (eg West Coast and free kick differential - anyone thinking they are just lucky is a goose).

If you employ the services of an investment broker, and they continue to deliver you subpar returns, do you accept their excuse of 'luck'? No you get rid of them and move forward. Fremantle caring about the welfare of their players etc is one of the big reasons I support the club over others but sometimes I think we just aren't ruthless enough with decision making.

I'm sure Weber and his team are nice intelligent people but the reality is their main KPI is player availability and they've been failing that for quite a while now. Astonishing we haven't been willing to make that hard decision but meanwhile our coach and key players, who have understandably struggled due to player availability are the only ones put under immense pressure by the media.
I agree that we seem to be bad at it recently, but you can't measure it like you can something analytical like investments/finance. It is a totally different beast.

Human body in a high performance environment is chaotic. So many factors and variables. Think more climate/weather than finance if you want a comparison. Obviously not that extreme but I bet its closer than finance.

So my point is getting fed up is useless because the data doesn't give you a clear picture like it does in something quantitative (finance etc). You look at the process and I assume Weber and Co get reviewed and the process is solid. There is nothing more you can do without just guessing..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back