Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

This came up in my FB feed, a much simpler way of managing concussion back in the day! 😲
(Foreman was one of my favourites at the time, got to meet him a few times at the club and in the rooms prior to a 1979 mid week night match at Waverley, very friendly character. Was disappointed he went to Essendon with Stoneham.)

View attachment 1981541

Amazing story. I was there that day, Hawks forwards had a field day.
Should have told Wayne he’s Kelvin Templeton when he went back on.

Amazing story. I was there that day, Hawks forwards had a field day.
Should have told Wayne he’s Kelvin Templeton when he went back on.

I was there too (never missed a game in those days). Don't remember much about it though, had to look it up, Templeton kicked 8 in a lone hand for us, and a young bloke by the name of Hawkins, after playing the first 6 rounds, missed this game, suspect he was dropped after 2 poor games following a promising first 4 games from debut in round 1!
(Looks like we were competitive until 3/4 time, then Hawks kicked 11 goals to 2 in the last - maybe a concussed Foreman should have stayed home!)

Vice-captain Tom Liberatore will be unavailable for selection indefinitely while the club works through a thorough process following his latest concussive episode.

As announced on Monday, the midfielder suffered a knock to the head late in Sunday’s loss to Hawthorn, which was confirmed to be concussion post-game.

With his health and wellbeing the absolute priority, the club will take the utmost caution before a return-to-play timeline is confirmed.
In other injury news, Cody Weightman has successfully undergone surgery on his injured elbow.

He will remain sidelined for at least the next 6-8 weeks.

Nick Coffield also continues to progress well in his recovery following a shoulder reconstruction in March.

Injury List

Nick Coffield (shoulder) – 5-7 weeks
Cody Weightman (elbow) – 6-8 weeks
Tom Liberatore (concussion) – Indefinite
Aiden O’Driscoll (concussion) – Indefinite
Bailey Smith (ACL) – Season

Shame no mention of O’Driscoll still.
His athletic abilities is something we are really lacking currently.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Laith Vandermeer will be tested this week ahead of the Western Bulldogs’ clash with GWS on Saturday afternoon.

Vandermeer was substituted out of the Round 9 win over Richmond with a shin complaint.

“In the AFL game on Saturday night in the second quarter, Laith received some direct, heavy contact to his lower shinbone area,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell, said.
“On our functional assessment, he wasn’t able to drive through that shin due to pain, so was removed from the game.

“Scans have cleared him of any serious structural pathology, but we are cautious because he is expectedly sore.

“We will work through a process with Laith this week to determine his availability.”

Pleasingly, no other injuries were sustained in the VFL clash on Sunday.

Injury List

Laith Vandermeer (shin) – Test
Nick Coffield (shoulder) – 4-6 weeks
Cody Weightman (elbow) – 5-7 weeks
Aiden O’Driscoll (concussion) – Indefinite

Injury List

Laith Vandermeer (shin) – Test
Nick Coffield (shoulder) – 4-6 weeks
Cody Weightman (elbow) – 5-7 weeks
Aiden O’Driscoll (concussion) – Career

Very sobering

Honestly. It would not be surprised one bit if Libba ends up in the same boat. A few concussions in a short period, and two collapses. No doubt he will not take any medical feedback well, giving his passion and old school toughness to push through. But I truly hope he is able to play on. But at the same time, people are able to make the right calls.

I expect to see the word indefinite", next to players names, become more common across all teams in the coming years. Unfortunately if still listed as indefinite after a few weeks, it is likely a sign they may not return at all. I was very hopeful on Aiden, but the longer it went on, the more I started to feel like it could be more serious than we thought. I was not even surprised at todays news. As much as it still shocked and saddened me, deep down I had a feeling it was likely.

Such bad luck for O'Driscoll. A bitter pill to swallow at just 18. We can only wish him all the best and hope that he has no resultant health issues going forward.
Especially considering it was his first known concussion (as far as I'm lead to believe). Just shows the seriousness of the whole situation, all it takes is one bad knock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back