Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Calf is admittedly the ultimate old man injury, although it seems as though JJ has a soft tissue injury every year & he always comes back well.

I thought he was a bit younger than 31 (32 end of year) so it’s perhaps a bit dicey, although I still think he’s a required player if he wants to push on next year.

He’s missed 30 games and counting since the start of 2022, so I agree not looking flash and might only have one more year.

Injury List - Round 12

James O’Donnell (illness) - Test
Ed Richards (concussion) – TBC
Anthony Scott (concussion) – TBC
Tom Liberatore (concussion) – 1-2 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) – 4-5 weeks
Cody Weightman (elbow) – 4-5 weeks
Aaron Naughton (knee) – 4-6 weeks
Nick Coffield (shoulder) – 4-6 weeks
Ryan Gardner (wrist) – 12-14 weeks
Bailey Smith (ACL) – Season
If we can have a good run from here, our teams should be looking amazing in 4-6 weeks, with plenty of fresh legs.

The VFL team in particular had stood up exceptionally well given the injury run.

Credit where credit is due.

If we can have a good run from here, our teams should be looking amazing in 4-6 weeks, with plenty of fresh legs.

The VFL team in particular had stood up exceptionally well given the injury run.

Credit where credit is due.
The next 2 weeks is make or break. Win both and we put ourselves in a great position post-bye with all of Naughton, Darcy, Weightman & Harmes potentially available.

Lose 1 or both and it’s very hard to make up the ground with such a tough draw to finish the season.

The next 2 weeks is make or break. Win both and we put ourselves in a great position post-bye with all of Naughton, Darcy, Weightman & Harmes potentially available.

Lose 1 or both and it’s very hard to make up the ground with such a tough draw to finish the season.
Both Lions and Dockers coming off a bye when we play them, if we manage to win both it will be an amazing effort.

Calf is admittedly the ultimate old man injury, although it seems as though JJ has a soft tissue injury every year & he always comes back well.

I thought he was a bit younger than 31 (32 end of year) so it’s perhaps a bit dicey, although I still think he’s a required player if he wants to push on next year.

I remember running across Exhibition St a few years ago and thinking I’d been shot.
What are you trying to tell me 🤨
The pain !!

Same thing when running for the bus last year. Pop in my calf was so distinct I swear it was audible. Old folks unite.

Getting back to my car after that was a bit of a challenge. Then walking to the footy at Marvel a few days later was so slow.

Western Bulldogs defender Alex Keath will be sidelined for an extended period after suffering a hamstring injury in the AFL match against Brisbane.

The incident occurred in the final moments of the clash at Marvel Stadium.

“Late in the fourth quarter, Alex sprinted into a contest and over-stretched trying to execute a spoil,” Chris Bell, Head of Sports Medicine at the Bulldogs, said.
“This mechanism has caused a moderate grade hamstring injury. We expect Alex to miss the next 5-7 weeks.”

Duo Luke Cleary and Jordan Croft have entered concussion protocols after separate incidents in the VFL.

“From our VFL game on the weekend, unfortunately we had two players who suffered concussions – both Luke and Jordan have entered our concussion management framework,” Bell said.

“Both will miss the game this week which leads us into the bye round.

“We will work with both players across the next two weeks to determine their availability coming into the Round 16 AFL match.”

In more positive news, Ed Richards and Cody Weightman will both be tested at training this week.
“Ed didn’t quite tick every box that we needed him to within our return to play protocol following his concussion,” Bell said.

“Ed will look to fully train tomorrow, with us optimistic that he will be in line to return to availability this week.

“Cody has been the ultimate professional in his rehabilitation following his elbow reconstruction. He has been dedicated and left no stone unturned to accelerate his recovery following his elbow surgery.

“His surgeon couldn’t be happier with his progress and last week has cleared him to return to full contact.

“We will work through a process with Cody across this week to confirm his availability.”

Player​

Injury​

Estimated return​

Ed RichardsConcussionTest
Cody WeightmanElbowTest
Luke ClearyConcussionTBC
Jordan CroftConcussionTBC
James HarmesHamstring2-3 weeks
Nick CoffieldShoulder2-3 weeks
Aaron NaughtonKnee2-4 weeks
Jason JohannisenHamstring4-6 weeks
Alex KeathHamstring5-7 weeks
Ryan GardnerWrist10-12 weeks
Bailey SmithACLSeason

If Cody is right to go, he's 100% in. I'm surprised because it was reported initially that he'd be back after the bye. As we've seen, Cody is a different beast so his timeline in returning from injury has to be assessed differently.

He has a very good first up record as well.

Season is on the line and our fwd line is undermanned. We can't afford to lose and Cody in increases our chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Naughton, Nick Coffield and James Harmes are in line to return to availability when the football program recommences next week.

The trio have a vital 10 days ahead of them and will look to main train next week before a date with North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium.

"Aaron is now in the back end of his rehabilitation following his medial ligament injury in his knee,” Bulldogs’ Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.
“He is integrating back into some football drills, and we are working to build back his strength and the continuity in his training.

“We will be working hard with Aaron across the next 10 days to try and accelerate his rehab to get him back to availability after the bye.”

Coffield remains a strong chance to return after three months out with a shoulder injury.

“Nick is 12 weeks following his shoulder reconstruction,” Bell said.

“He has been incredibly diligent and is getting close to a return.

“Nick will need to tick some final boxes for us across the next 7-10 days before we can confirm his availability.”

Harmes has progressed well through recovery as he looks towards Round 16.

“James has been attacking his rehab following his hamstring injury,” Bell said.

“He is integrating back into training with us carefully progressing his exposure to high end athletic tasks.

“He remains on track to be able to put his hand up for selection in Round 16.”

Both Jordan Croft and Luke Cleary continue to progress well within the concussion management protocol.

“Both will be monitored across this week with us optimistic that they will return to full training next week," Bell said.

Injury List

James Harmes (hamstring) – test
Jordan Croft (concussion) – test
Luke Cleary (concussion) - test
Nick Coffield (shoulder) – test
Aaron Naughton (knee) – test
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) – 2-3 weeks
Alex Keath (hamstring) – 4-6 weeks
Ryan Gardner (wrist) – 10-12 weeks
Bailey Smith (ACL) – Season

5 tests and no injuries leading in to the bye is a terrific position to be in for the second part of the season. I'd have hoped for better than 7-7 especially given our run home is a bit tricky in parts but given the nature of the season I suspect nobody has a fixture they're particularly excited about.

Taylor Duryea remains a test ahead of a clash against Port Adelaide this Saturday afternoon.

The small defender was subbed out of the match against the Kangaroos with foot soreness, but scans have revealed no major damage.

"In the second quarter of the AFL game, Taylor Duryea was involved in a contest where his foot was caught in the ground and twisted,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.
“He was able to continue playing into the third, but due to his foot having some persistent symptoms, we made a conservative call and substituted him out of the game.

“Scans have since cleared him of any serious structural damage.

“We will work through a process with Taylor this week to determine his availability this weekend.”

Alex Keath and Jason Johannisen remain a fortnight away with hamstring injuries.

Injury List​

PRESENTED BY​

Deep Heat

15. [PLAYERCARD]Taylor Duryea[/PLAYERCARD]
Taylor Duryea

Injury: Foot
Est. Return: Test
39. [PLAYERCARD]Jason Johannisen[/PLAYERCARD]
Jason Johannisen

Injury: Hamstring
Est. Return: 2 weeks
42. [PLAYERCARD]Alex Keath[/PLAYERCARD]