Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be tendonitis - it's bitch of an injury in terms of pain management.
Lack of quad flexibility contributes, I've been dealing with it for years.
We've got the same long femurs too :eek:

I've nearly really suffered with it before, hopefully deloading, stretching and foam rolling should see it off

We've got the same long femurs too :eek:

I've nearly really suffered with it before, hopefully deloading, stretching and foam rolling should see it off
Single-leg slant board squats help me no end - I use them as a warm up exercise on leg day and have had a physio and an osteo advise them for my knee.

Hamstring issues:

I'm only 21 but already had 2 hamstring strains on each side (3 this year). Been told it's mainly due to my job (office job) and tight hips from sitting down. Also have had OP and quad issues throughout this year. I've been given strengthening exercises and tips on how to reduce the load around my hamstrings to reduce how much strain they're under. Essentially they're constantly sore and tight and I've been told they'll stay that way until my body is used to the load.

Any other tips on what I can do to manage the pain and reduce the risk of another strain? Extremely frustrating.

Still can't shake the hamstring issues I've been having. Have done 1 on each side in the past few months, both in the same but strange areas. Very low down, almost at the back of the knee near the tendon. Getting more and more worried that my footballing days could be coming to an end, which seems ridiculous at 22.

I've done all the strengthening work prescribed by my physio (recently changed for the 3rd time for a different opinion) and have completed specific running programs to gradually build up. It's just as soon as I hit actual footy training, my legs can't handle the constant accel/decel and short, high intensity bursts. I'm certainly weak around the glute/hip areas but the work I've been completing just doesn't seem to be helping. My sedentary job probably isn't helping either.

I got email notification of your 2nd post here bit it's not on the site for some reason but if you're in Melb come and see me, I'm in South Yarra...if you've done all the strengthening work then strength isn't the issue, it's your activation patterns and you're body is way out of whack and it needs to be reset...pm me

big deadlift and leg session today and my knees behaved themselves, going to make sure I reward them with a big stretching session tonight

7th March Deadlift Focus Heavy Weight/Low Rep Legs Workout 84.6kg

Mixed Grip Barbell Deadlift

60kg 3
100kg 3
140kg 1,1
160kg 1
200kg 1
210kg 1 (well didn't complete this rep but probably could've if I pushed it, there's a video incoming I'll let you be the judge)
180kg 3,3
160kg 5,3,3

Barbell Squat 60kg 10,10,10
Barbell Good Mornings 40kg 8,8,8
Barbell Lunge 40kg 5,5,5

I got email notification of your 2nd post here bit it's not on the site for some reason but if you're in Melb come and see me, I'm in South Yarra...if you've done all the strengthening work then strength isn't the issue, it's your activation patterns and you're body is way out of whack and it needs to be reset...pm me

Hi mate I work in Port Melbourne, do you know of any reputable gyms/studios in the general area around there? What I'd like to take from a few visits is for someone to go through all my major lifts with me and make sure my form is spot on. My training has stalled as I'm not keen to go much heavier as I have a few niggles in my hip flexors and hamstrings which I think is a combo from some mistakes in my technique and working in an office.
I'm at a commercial chain gym which is convenient because of all of their locations, but I doubt any of the trainers would know more than me, going from the form I've seen their clients lift with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm in south yarra so not too far of a drive for a 1 off sesh other then that i don't really know what other gyms do to be honest..i believe there's a powerlifting one in port melb but i could be wrong and i don't know where it is

i'm in south yarra so not too far of a drive for a 1 off sesh other then that i don't really know what other gyms do to be honest..i believe there's a powerlifting one in port melb but i could be wrong and i don't know where it is

It's in South Melbourne (well, their name has South Melbourne and I cbf checking so going to make that assumption)

Also, I'm not sure where Port Melbourne is exactly in relation to Footscray or Spotswood but there's a number of good trainers that I know personally at each of those locations

Still, South Yarra is nothing in terms of travel to go to a gym (I've spent the majority of my lifting life travelling to gyms at least 30 minutes from home, and used to make a round trip of ~150km every day going to gym -> work -> home. At one point at my previous previous job I think I was travelling from Kilsyth to a job site in Werribee, then to a gym in Frankston before going home)

It's in South Melbourne (well, their name has South Melbourne and I cbf checking so going to make that assumption)

Also, I'm not sure where Port Melbourne is exactly in relation to Footscray or Spotswood but there's a number of good trainers that I know personally at each of those locations

Still, South Yarra is nothing in terms of travel to go to a gym (I've spent the majority of my lifting life travelling to gyms at least 30 minutes from home, and used to make a round trip of ~150km every day going to gym -> work -> home. At one point at my previous previous job I think I was travelling from Kilsyth to a job site in Werribee, then to a gym in Frankston before going home)

Yeh your right, I'm on the other side of the Westgate so South Yarra is quite close.

Ok great South Yarra isn't far from me I'll PM you later on.

Has anyone in this thread experienced a syndesmosis reconstruction (Ankle reco)? I'm a year off the initial injury and around 10 months off the first surgery and 7 months off the second surgery. I'm still struggling with large amounts of swelling, pain and weak feeling in the ankle. I was cleared from the public system physio. Still can't run without a significant limp, scared to jump again and scared to run and turn. Have had x ray recently and the bone structure is good. Waiting it out to see if the pain disappears before the doc will do an MRI. Badly wish to just start training again and see how I feel about playing. I was only just coming into good performances. Had my body right had 3 years of weight training and running under my belt and was edging closer each year to winning the best and fairest which is the only award I have not won, and badly want one before I hang the boots up. If anyone has had this injury or similar. How long until you felt confident with it? Till the pain subsided? Until the swelling went away?

*Edit*
I'm 24 this year if anyone was after that sort of information.

Last edited:
I've never had it or anything but here's some quick stuff on pain on how it relates to your situation right now

1 - Injury does indeed cause pain which can manifest itself in the brain and stay with you long after the injury has repaired

2 - The pain sensation that you still have then sends negative input to the nervous system which will then limit loading through that side as it still has a perception of threat and thus still tries to protect you and is maybe why you still have a limp present...you may also have avoided loading the leg as well because of the pain etc

So if you've done all the rehab then you'll need to take it on yourself to build up to the activities that you haven't yet and by doing this you can solve the 2 issues above because loading the leg will send positive input to the NS, this positive info will give the brain/NS the message that you can start loading this leg and hopefully it releases the brakes it's placed upon you and all this good info will hopefully override the pain info you have currently and that will go away as well

This is a huge thing to write about so I've tried to make it as brief as possible so if you need more to go on then let me know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are you located?

This sounds like more of an over sensitive nervous system to me - it's not an injury as it comes and go and gets better/worse for no apparent reason

EDIT - oh Adelaide...try this:

Last edited:
Good TED talk on how our feelings of pain may not necessarily coincide with something that should be painful

Hey guys! I have torn my ACL in my knee , the physio said it would be quite beneficial if I can strengthen the muscles around the knee. What exercises/equipment should I use to help?

Cheers in advance? :)

What equipment do you have access to?

Yeah any controlled movement with low requirements for stability would be the go.
Leg press, quad extension machine, leg curl machine.
Even calf raises, straight leg raises and the abductor/adductor machine may help as they all train structures that cross the knee

Left shoulder (the good one) is giving me grief and I can't figure out why. No pain or weakness doing a pressing motion or even a front dumbell raise but if I take it out to the side I get pain and weakness running from the top/middle of my delt all the way down almost to my elbow.

Left shoulder (the good one) is giving me grief and I can't figure out why. No pain or weakness doing a pressing motion or even a front dumbell raise but if I take it out to the side I get pain and weakness running from the top/middle of my delt all the way down almost to my elbow.

Sounds like supraspinatus tendon.
As you lift your arm to the side is it sore ~20 degrees either side of parallel to the ground but higher or lower than that it's not too bad?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back