International Cricket Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Same with me. I hate using real world opinions within the game that might not be reflected similarly within the database

I played a season of the new game and Cosgrove was scoring a century just about every second innings. I couldn't handle that.

Anyone ever tried to just break records, or see just how well particular players can do with regular selection over a long period? I've tried it with the latest version of the game, taking England up to the start of the 2028-29 season so far.

From the start, I decided to play a few guys in every format, for as long as possible, regardless of specialty or form, just to see how many runs and wickets they end up with. Rankings and team results weren't really of great concern, as they can tend to take care of themselves over time, if everyone performs. I've worked on their aggressive batting technique and bowling accuracy over time, too. Started off with the following "default" line-up for all formats through the first year:

Alastair Cook (C)
Adam Lyth
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Gary Ballance
Jos Butler +
Ben Stokes
Stuart Broad
Mark Wood
James Anderson

This meant that Joe Root did a bit of bowling early on in the limited overs formats. Mark Wood was the first to be dropped from the line-up, as he just wasn't taking enough wickets, but still made comebacks in all formats at various stages.

Generally my policy was to try to play the same team as much as possible, but over time, with age, retirements and form, you do need to make some changes, and curiosity as to how certain players would do gets the better of you too. I've made sure everyone got a solid go in all formats, and a solid time too. Most batsman/wicketkeepers/all-rounders got the chance to be dismissed at least 30 times in both Test and ODI formats, and 15 times in T20I format, just to get a true picture of how many runs they contribute (without not-outs or the game situation skewing or screwing things), and most bowlers got at least 15 Tests/30 ODIs/15 T20Is.

Other guys to play in all formats (with varying success) in this period, and register at least 15 Tests for their career, include Adil Rashid (57 Tests, ODIs, T20Is), Jonathan Bairstow (55 Tests), Steven Finn (47 Tests), Eoin Morgan (37 Tests), James Taylor (35 Tests), Alex Hales (33 Tests), Sam Robson (33 Tests), Tim Bresnan (30 Tests), Mark Wood (26 Tests), Chris Jordan (25 Tests), Ravi Bopara (22 Tests), Jason Roy (17 Tests), Moeen Ali (17 Tests), Nick Compton (17 Tests), Liam Plunkett (16 Tests), Jamie Porter (16 Tests), Chris Woakes (15 Tests) and Moin Ashraf (15 Tests), along with a few talented re-gens.

My theory was that if a player reaches the age of 36 by June 30 of a particular year, then he'll no longer be eligible for selection from me. The only players I made exceptions for were Alastair Cook, Joe Root and Jos Butler, as well as Adam Lyth and Garry Balance (after short haituses from the national teams).

Simulating the games to get through it quicker, I've almost had a couple of guys break Sachin Tendulkar's record for most Test runs:

Joe Root, retired at age 37 in 2028:

Joe%20Root.jpg~original

Root is #3 in Tests played, #2 in Test innings batted, #2 in Test centuries, and #1 in Test fifties. Literally needed one more half century to break Sachin's record!

Alastair Cook, retired at age 38 in 2023:

Alastair%20Cook.jpg~original

Cook really faded towards the end, but I kept playing him, attempting for the runs record. Smashed the records for most Tests and most Test innings, as well as ending up equal-first for most Test 50s, but that's it.

Stopped playing each of these guys in Tests once they reached the age of 36 (assuming they'd retire not long after, being unrealistically far away from the most Test wickets), but they still played on at County level and ended up with immensely impressive career records:

James Anderson, retired at age 39 in 2022:

James%20Anderson.jpg~original

Stuart Broad, retired at age 40 in 2027:

Stuart%20Broad.jpg~original

Here's how the all-time England Test batting table looks, as of 2028:

England%20Test%20Batting.jpg~original

Adam Lyth is the real surprise there. He's a great ODI batsman in this sim too, sitting at 7,518 ODI runs @ 40.64, with 20 centuries and 35 fifties, and is still active and scoring runs in the County scene at age 40 here, too.

People would probably consider Gary Ballance's record a bit of a surprise, too. He's still active and still piling up the runs for Yorkshire at age 38 in this sim, with 33,906 FC runs @ 58.36 (106 centuries, 165 fifties), and also has a stellar ODI record (7,582 runs @ 43.08, 12 centuries, 46 fifties), batting mostly at #4, with some innings at #5 and #6.

Jos Butler is still active at age 37 as well, and has the most ODI appearances for England, with 298 matches, and most not outs in ODI history, too, with 76 n.o.'s from 252 innings batted (34.45 average, 4 centuries, 27 fifties), mostly at #7.

A still-active Ben Stokes sits just outside that Test batting table too, with 6,906 Test runs @ 30.56, with 7 centuries and 29 fifties, mostly batting at #8. Despite not quite having the batting chops of a Sir Ian Botham in terms of number of centuries and average, in terms of longevity and his bowling, Stokes goes down in this sim as England's greatest ever all-rounder, as the Test bowling table as of 2028 attests to:

England%20Test%20Bowling.jpg~original

You'd think having so many guys playing so well for England for so long would lead to consistently high rankings, but it simply led to mid-table mediocrity for most of the time. I've won and lost the Ashes both at home and away (Australia are pretty mediocre here too, despite Smith, Warner, Starc and Hazlewood all having excellent career records), and I've reached the final in both the ODI and T20I World Cups, but never won either. Playing on with majority re-gens now, seeing where it goes.

Sri Lanka's Tharindu Kaushal is ridiculously good in the game. This is his record as of 2028 in this sim, aged 33:

Tharindu%20Kaushal.jpg~original

He's bowled Sri Lanka to #1 in the Test rankings for the last couple of years of this save. Bangladesh have risen to mid-table, on the back of a pair of quality re-gen fast bowlers. The West Indies and Zimbabwe take up #9 and #10 spots in the rankings in all formats, still (just like current life, really).

Did a similar one with South Africa a couple of weeks ago, with Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Amla and de Villiers being my "untouchables", with similar results - mountains of runs and wickets, but no all-time records broken, and slowly falling down the rankings in all formats.

Last edited:
Love this game. I play ICC 2010 and I've got three saves which have entered the 2030s, with Australia, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka respectively. Here are some of the best players I've had in those saves:

Australia
Usman Khawaja - opener

oiQaL48.png

Simon Tennison - wicketkeeper batsman

WdHsPRq.png

Albert Kroll - number 7 batsman, off spin bowler

G0uotbN.png

Robin Ewing - opening bowler

T3VUtut.png

Pakistan
Azeem Ghumman - opener

gWf82s3.png

Umar Akmal - number 3 batsman

f737B40.png

Mohammad Amir - opening bowler

U9tXHLG.png

Sri Lanka
Angelo Mathews - number 3 batsman, all rounder

VaFZdI0.png

I also had an amazing leggie with Sri Lanka, took over 700 test wickets, but he disappeared from the game (retired or something) before I could save a screenie of his stats. Would rate Kroll of Australia as the best player I've ever had though, you can't argue with 20 test hundreds and 47 test 5-fors.

Last edited:
[/SPOILER]

Sri Lanka's Tharindu Kaushal is ridiculously good in the game. This is his record as of 2028 in this sim, aged 33:

Tharindu%20Kaushal.jpg~original

He's bowled Sri Lanka to #1 in the Test rankings for the last couple of years of this save.

Jeez, that's an unbelievable record. I wonder if he can get to 1000 test wickets before he retires.

Playing International Cricket Captain, doing an International Career as Australia, have made it as far as the 2019 World Cup in England. Won the 2017 Champion's Trophy and 2018 T20I World Cup along the way. #3 in the World in Tests, #3 in ODIs, and #2 in T20Is at the moment. I usually just sim the games, but I like to play against the minnows in World Cups, and go as hard as I can, just to see what happens.

Up to this point in the save, Shaun Marsh has batted well in all formats, and Aaron Finch and Glenn Maxwell have 5 Test centuries each. Peter Handscomb, Sam Whiteman, Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorf, Ryan Carters and Michael Klinger haven't got a single international cap yet. Haven't played Michael Clarke, Mitchell Johnson, Chris Rogers, Shane Watson or Ed Cowan at all in any format in the save so far either. Clarke, Rogers, Klinger, Watson and Cowan are all still playing and doing well on the domestic scene.

Tim Paine made it back into all formats on the back of some solid domestic batting and keeping, and Trent Copeland and Peter Siddle have been handy in the limited overs formats too. Peter Nevill has done alright without starring. Chris Lynn has sucked massively in Tests, while starring in the limited overs formats (injured at the start of this tournament). Was playing Adam Voges, Mitch Marsh, Ashton Agar and Steve O'Keefe a bit to begin with, but all were pretty average, and have been dropped over time. Nathan Lyon has played in a lot of games in all formats, and done pretty well, but I decided to go with a pace-heavy attack over the 2018-19 season, and this led to Lyon being the leading domestic wicket-taker in all formats in his return to that scene. Old man George Bailey has made it back into the ODI side on the back of some great domestic form.

Steve Smith has played and captained every game in every format so far in the save, but I accidentally forgot to select him for this tournament. Didn't matter...

2019%20World%20Cup.jpg

:eek::confused::D

Last edited:
Playing in county, having someone like James Franklin as an allrounder is very handy. Genuine #7 bat and very good bowler, and the left arm helps change it up from my mostly right arm attack.

Craddock is also a must buy at the start of the first season. Gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing CC2014 still, got a nice international career going with the Aussies. Am mid 2016, nearing the end of the Sri Lanka tour. I've played all the games and have got the Aussies to #1 in Tests and ODIs, and 6th in T20Is (Not that good at T20 on CC).

Dave Warner is currently the #1 batsmen in Tests and ODIs, while Steve Smith is also the #1 batsmen in T20Is. Joe Burns has been very good for me in Tests recently, his average is up in the 80s or somewhere ridiculous like that (a lot of not outs and only about 7 or 8 tests under his belt). He's also been going well in ODIs for me. Chris Lynn has killed it in Test for me, but terrible in limited overs. I played Adam Voges a bit but he was horrible for me, even in excellent form. My current bowling attack is extremely good, in Tests I'm rolling with Johnson, Patto, Bird and Lyon. James Faulkner has been excellent. I stopped playing Clarke at the end of 2015 after not getting a 50 in about 12 innings. I also play Phil Hughes, and he has been a beast. I've struggled finding wicket keepers, right now I'm going with Ryan Carters/Matthew Wade.

My current Test lineup:

Warner
Hughes
Smith (C)
Lynn
Burns
Faulkner/M.Marsh
Carters/Wade +
Johnson
Pattinson
Lyon
Bird

Last edited:
Playing as WA in ICC 2015, won the shield and then when contracts etc popped up, I had a look in the youth section and it featured a guy with the same last name and same inital for first name. Naturally I picked him up (had a good record).

Rimmington once hit a 150* for me in the shield in overcast, pace friendly conditions :drunk:
Somewhere I've got a screenshot of NCN at test level, scoring something like 149

Yep got a test level Pat Cummins not out 135 in a 10th wicket p/ship with Pomersbach of 290 or some shit
No proof, but in the 2005 version, Langer and Hayden against the Poms from memory had a lazy 600 run partnership or something :drunk:

No proof, but in the 2005 version, Langer and Hayden against the Poms from memory had a lazy 600 run partnership or something :drunk:
I used to get 1200-like scores but can't on this version.

I used to get 1200-like scores but can't on this version.
Younger me would create a series with Aus Vs Bangladesh/Zimbabwe and select their team full of batsman/bowlers. Huge scores.

Remove this Banner Ad

International Cricket Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back