International Cricket Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Younger me would create a series with Aus Vs Bangladesh/Zimbabwe and select their team full of batsman/bowlers. Huge scores.
I did that once in an all time greats series on the current one. Gave them a keeper and the rest bats. Aus XI was:

Ponting
Ponsford
Bradman
G Chappell
Waugh
Border (c)
Gilchrist (+)
Miller
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Made 1400 batting first. Won by an innings and 1100-odd runs

I did that once in an all time greats series on the current one. Gave them a keeper and the rest bats. Aus XI was:

Ponting
Ponsford
Bradman
G Chappell
Waugh
Border (c)
Gilchrist (+)
Miller
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Not exactly a bad looking team that

Ponting
Ponsford
Bradman
G Chappell
Waugh
Border (c)
Gilchrist (+)
Miller
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Clearly unrealistic. Ponting never opens.

Clearly unrealistic. Ponting never opens.
Yeah, I wanted to get all of him, Chappell, Waugh and Border in the same team with Bradman. He was the best opening candidate.

Yeah, I wanted to get all of him, Chappell, Waugh and Border in the same team with Bradman. He was the best opening candidate.
Gilchrist opened in ODI's at least. I'd have gone;

- Gilchrist
- Ponsford
- Bradman
- Chappell
- Waugh
- Border
- Ponting
- Miller
- Warne
- Lillee
- McGrath

It puts Ponting well down the order, but he did play at 6 for 45 innings for an average of a shade under 50. He also batted at 7 for 11 innings.

Gilchrist opened in ODI's at least. I'd have gone;

- Gilchrist
- Ponsford
- Bradman
- Chappell
- Waugh
- Border
- Ponting
- Miller
- Warne
- Lillee
- McGrath

It puts Ponting well down the order, but he did play at 6 for 45 innings for an average of a shade under 50. He also batted at 7 for 11 innings.
Ponting averages 54 opening in ODI's, and would you want Gilly to open and keep in test cricket? I wouldn't. Ponting is at least a top 3 bat in test cricket.

Ponting averages 54 opening in ODI's, and would you want Gilly to open and keep in test cricket? I wouldn't. Ponting is at least a top 3 bat in test cricket.
I genuinely don't recall Ponting opening in ODI's. If that's the case I'll take it back.

Is there anywhere to find tips on this game? Thus far on a save on CC14 I have 4 wins to 13 losses over all forms with Australia. Just isn't fun getting molested by Zimbabwe.

Is there anywhere to find tips on this game? Thus far on a save on CC14 I have 4 wins to 13 losses over all forms with Australia. Just isn't fun getting molested by Zimbabwe.

TEST : Bat ultra defensively (ie. 1-2 dots) and try and compile massive totals then back your spinners to bowl teams out twice.

ODI: Don't aim for 300, aim for 220-250 consistently (3-5 dots, into 7-8 for the last 10), wins you 8/10 games. Bowl mid aggression for 8-10 overs then full defensive for the last 40. Won't work unless you have at least 200 on the board. When chasing, don't watch the run rate so much, just keep wickets in hand for a massive assault on the last 15-20 overs.

T20: Bat full aggression, bowl full defensive. It's a lottery anyway.

I did that once in an all time greats series on the current one. Gave them a keeper and the rest bats.

Younger me would create a series with Aus Vs Bangladesh/Zimbabwe and select their team full of batsman/bowlers. Huge scores.

You guys are so evil :D this has never occurred to me!

This was the best I ever got, playing legit against the AI as Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh on an absolute road, probably the flattest wicket I've ever seen in the game. It was so flat that I didn't see any point in declaring, I felt the best chance of getting a win was to make a huge score and then try and rumble them twice in five sessions.

zmw.png

Now I've found my old screenshot folder there's another gem of a scorecard from that SL v Bangladesh series. I think what happened here was that I took the powerplay when they had the spinners on, which forced them to set attacking fields, and once the two set batsmen holed out the combination of the sharp turning wicket, attacking fields, and quality spin bowlers was too much for the rest of the order.

iQgErYi.png

And an epic save by West Indies. Looks like Australia won the toss, batted, racked up a 500+ score then bowled us out for about 150 and enforced the follow on. Should have picked a spinner!

hUmbl1F.png

Awr1Hlt.png

t9xgi4E.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ODI: Don't aim for 300, aim for 220-250 consistently (3-5 dots, into 7-8 for the last 10), wins you 8/10 games. Bowl mid aggression for 8-10 overs then full defensive for the last 40. Won't work unless you have at least 200 on the board. When chasing, don't watch the run rate so much, just keep wickets in hand for a massive assault on the last 15-20 overs.
How do you "massively assault" the last overs? As soon as I turn up the aggression they get out straight away. I've been following your advice for ODI's and I've lost to Afghanistan, went 0-4 against India/England, I don't really know what to do next.

How do you "massively assault" the last overs? As soon as I turn up the aggression they get out straight away. I've been following your advice for ODI's and I've lost to Afghanistan, went 0-4 against India/England, I don't really know what to do next.
Don't go up to fast (More than 2 bars) until the last 10, before that just going up 1 or 2 an over seems to work in the 35-40 overs for me. It still seems to require some luck with wickets though.

You still need luck for sure, I've gotten a bit better with limited overs stuff in ICC but I'm still not great. I find trying to keep wickets in hand a good way to go about it. Keep them at 3/4 aggression bars until the 25th over, then go to 4/5, then at the 35th go one bar away from full aggression. I usually go full aggression when there's as many overs left as I have wickets (so if I'm 5 down I don't go until the 45th - 1 bar from full should net you heaps of boundaries regardless).

JT's definitely right in that it seems to end badly if you rocket up from 3 bars to full aggression within an over or 2.

My strategy is different, I like to keep a high rate throughout the innings and I always aim for 300. If you fall short of that aim you should still be able to get 260, 270. If you're aiming for 220 then you can find yourself bowled out for 150 because you left too much work for the middle and lower order to do and the bowling side have their tails up because you haven't been smacking them all round the place in the lead up to the last 10 overs.

You've just got to play around with strategies and find the one which works for you and works with your set of players.

image.jpg Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander's bowling was so good in this innings it was scary. The top order had a collapse of massive proportions, were at 5/35 when Faulkner and Wade came to the crease. If Wade hadn't have gone out I would have gone for it with him and Starc at the crease. Starc and Hazlewood almost held out to draw, but Hazlewood fell with one over remaining... Stayed at the crease for over an hour to go in the last over of all times.

I think there might be some changes after that performance plus an average first test as well.

View attachment 202746 Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander's bowling was so good in this innings it was scary. The top order had a collapse of massive proportions, were at 5/35 when Faulkner and Wade came to the crease. If Wade hadn't have gone out I would have gone for it with him and Starc at the crease. Starc and Hazlewood almost held out to draw, but Hazlewood fell with one over remaining... Stayed at the crease for over an hour to go in the last over of all times.

I think there might be some changes after that performance plus an average first test as well.

If you're chasing 370 it's not your batsmen struggling if you fall 100 short, lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

International Cricket Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back