Discussion Intra-Club Game (Friday 10 Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Intra-Club Game - Friday 10 Feb at 9.30am

i think strobe00 is right. he's used to a well structured/help out type defence. freo dont have this at the moment. they probably will go with that structure but its going to take time to get there, until that happens dawson will be useless. i can see him spending a bit of time with leon davis at perth.

Don't we need a bigger bodied defender to replace the 195cm Zac?

Aren't we going to try Stanley, Archer and Siposs as forwards along with Riewoldt and Koschitzke?

Ill tell you what, Jackson Ferguson is a monster at moment and looked pretty good in defence yesterday (forgot about him when writing report). Size isnt everything, as Maxy showed. Simpkin is identical in height & weight as he ever was.

Stanley, Archer havent shown much to me to say they'll ever be 30-40 goals a year goalkickers.

Siposs isnt a tall key forward, he's a medium sized. I think with Kosi never seeming to kick goals (and that being added pressure on Roo to kick more) then we need a 3rd big man up there. Wilkes showed last year he is capable of that.

Hope im wrong about Wilkes not being a good option down back, i just didnt see it yesterday or listen to anyone when he was at West Coast, or last year in WAFL. They all say same thing, he just wasnt upto scratch in that area, but he was awesome up forward....

Everyone was crying for Tommy Walsh to be played up forward next to Roo & Kosi, i dont see any difference between Wilkes/Walsh. Both big men that know where big sticks are.

i agree aussie.

i think the club sees simpkin as the full back of choice. he's at the right age to start making his present felt. 22. most of the great fullbacks started to play regular senior football at 22, they didnt play a full season but played 12-15 games. at 23 they start to play a full season and start to make a name for them selves. blake/wilkes will be the stop gap solution but my bet is they dont want them there for too long and want simpkin to really only that spot.

i always saw ferguson as more of a CHB. he's only 20 so he's got a long way to go before we can make the call on him but hes atleast developed this body enough to start playing that positions and competing.

one things for certain, at the end of this year ferguson will not be on the rookie list. they move him to the seniors. curren is in the same boat.

Wilkes wasn't recruited because he's a great back man or because he's a great forward, he was recruited because he can play multiple positions. He's a gap fill player and is training in the back line because we have a gap to fill there until Gwilt comes back. Watters even commented when asked about Wilkes last week that he's versitility is what he likes about him.
I wouldn't expect him to be the difference and I think we should just be happy if he can fill a role when we need him. Lets just hope Gwilt gets over his injury quickly and with out any hick ups.

Ill tell you what, Jackson Ferguson is a monster at moment and looked pretty good in defence yesterday (forgot about him when writing report). Jacko is a fair way off it, let's be honest. A nice talent with his height and pace to have on the list but a monster? See pic

Size isnt everything, as Maxy showed. Simpkin is identical in height & weight as he ever was. I've heard the Max comparison enough - you'll know I'm a fan of Simpkin, but he ain't Max (regardless of both being 191cm). Max had a great leap and was super quick. Maybe Simpkin will develop and build his own strengths (like getting off his man and creating play or peeling off to mark third man up)

Stanley, Archer havent shown much to me to say they'll ever be 30-40 goals a year goalkickers. How about 20? Kosi kicked 15 last year

Siposs isnt a tall key forward, he's a medium sized. Sippa plays as a tall - he isn't that slippery across the turf and relies on his marking (and of course that golden boot)

I think with Kosi never seeming to kick goals (and that being added pressure on Roo to kick more) then we need a 3rd big man up there. Wilkes showed last year he is capable of that. Do you think Watters would be any chance of playing Kosi, Riewoldt and Wilkes in the same forward line?

Hope im wrong about Wilkes not being a good option down back, i just didnt see it yesterday or listen to anyone when he was at West Coast, or last year in WAFL. They all say same thing, he just wasnt upto scratch in that area, but he was awesome up forward.... Wilkes wasn't expecting an AFL call-up, and admitted he was well out of condition after celebrating the WAFL GF win. He'd be well behind the AFL guys, noting our season finished early. Unless we play Blake, I'd be surprised if we don't play Wilkes down back. I'm not sure who we'd play on Petrie or Clark or Riewoldt. Unless you want to sacrifice Sammy Fish or Gilbo who I'm not sure are suited to FB anyway?

Everyone was crying for Tommy Walsh to be played up forward next to Roo & Kosi, i dont see any difference between Wilkes/Walsh. Both big men that know where big sticks are. Yeah, I'm still a bit teary with Walsh leaving. Alot more mobile than most 195cm players and pretty decent at ground level.

402693_10150563327028183_79666748182_9103776_164687448_n.jpg

That Fremantle stuff is pretty funny. They don't learn though, how many Essendon players did Mark Harvey recruit over the years? Then he finally starts developing some good kids, they reward him with the sack and hire the recycling expert Lyin

That Fremantle stuff is pretty funny. They don't learn though, how many Essendon players did Mark Harvey recruit over the years? Then he finally starts developing some good kids, they reward him with the sack and hire the recycling expert Lyin

Put simply though the question is who would you like coaching your team this year - Mark Harvey or Ross Lyon? I am very happy with the appointment and Freo feedback is probably 75:25 in favour of Lyon.

Dawson does have a bad rep since we never saw him week in week out, rather always heard the negatives. So he's definitely got to overcome the sceptics...not there yet safe to say based on the intraclub.

I love the optimism regards Fergusion but I have my doubts. He played on Markworth and I thought Markworth beat him easily. Good athlete, competes but skills and footy smarts are poor. Has along, long way to go.

I love the optimism regards Fergusion but I have my doubts. He played on Markworth and I thought Markworth beat him easily. Good athlete, competes but skills and footy smarts are poor. Has along, long way to go.

he does have a long way to go but he's only 20. we need to put it into perspective that he's a nsw schoolarship rookie. he isnt exactly a senior player. half the battle is getting his body right, which it looks like he has done. the next step is getting him to play some senior vfl. he should be spending most of his time in the vfl reserves but if we can play say 10 vfl games this year its a huge win.

next year is where we should start to see some gains. he should be playing regular consistent senior vfl footy.

he's doing better than cahil!!!!! where did he end up?

We had Markworth, Ross and Newnes all in our top 20 players for the draft.
Absolutely stoked to get them all, and this isn't the usual post draft club standard line. Markworth is athletic and has X factor, Ross was an elite talent and Newnes was a very good, well rounded TAC player.
FWIW I really like Jacko Ferguson, he moves well and is still learning the game, but i think he is one of the few NSW scholarship lads who will make it.
I also think Milera will be a pleasant surprise, and Saad will be a rising star nominee.

Man that's something I do / did.

Cross the creek to get free entry, climb the drain pipes to the roof of the grandstand and go "hey, good view" with a picnic lunch, laugh at the fatties demanding I get down to face punishment for sneaking in, use knowledge of place to scurry into changerooms and out other side of building. :D

Those guys are just lucky they're well liked and had access to a ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, thought that may be the case great man, perhaps he will be a Big Footy Rising Star?
Very excited about Markworth, very excited!
I'm definitely on this bandwagon, liked the kid since I first saw him train last year.

Do like what I'm hearing about Markworth and Ross. Are both of them a legitimate chance at Round 1?

Man it's been a while since we've been able to discuss this with some hope of it occurring.

I might be wrong but I'd see Markworth as competing with Sippo for a spot.

I think our forward strategy should be as follows. Pretend you are going to kick it to Riewoldt, then kick it to Sippo.
He hasn't had many disposals, but I'm not sure he's had a bad one yet.

I might be wrong but I'd see Markworth as competing with Sippo for a spot.

And Stanley?

Maybe Milera too?

And with Ledger, Cripps, Simpkin, Wilkes, Saad, and some rookie called Hayes to push for spots - doesn't seem alot of room for first year players when it comes to the regular season (even if they look decent types).

I'd hope that we learn a little from the leg injuries to Ledger, Siposs and Cripps far too early in the piece for mine last year (as opposed to the impact problems that Crock, Jacko and Gears suffered, the fitness concerns regarding Simpkin, and the soreness of Winmar and probably Stanley who eventually got hammy problems).

I figure we've got plenty of likely types now, so there's room for us to rotate them, give them 2-3 weeks of exposure, and then move them back to the Zebs for a rest.

I figure we've got plenty of likely types now, so there's room for us to rotate them, give them 2-3 weeks of exposure, and then move them back to the Zebs for a rest.

I'd rather the new guys get some really solid footy at VFL level behind them. Cripps showed very little before being picked (other than that he had terrific athleticism). Just about all the first year players were shot by the mid point of the season.

Realsitically I would suggest Saad and young Terry would be almost walk ups for the first round subject to injury. Wilkes is a definite, I don't see why you would draft these guys and then not throw them into the action straight away.

Ross is interesting, I would liken him to a young Luke Ball but not as quick(not that LB ever showed us pace because of his groin). He has prodigious talent as do most first round draftees unless they were drafted by Greg Miller or Craig Cameron. I hope for him to play 5-8 games when not named as a sub.

Markworth is not on the radar until late in the year IMO, he needs another pre season on the weights but look out 2013, one of the most athletic genuine marking talls I have seen come through the TAC in a long time. I'm still scratching my head as to why he wasn't top 15, it's GMF!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Intra-Club Game (Friday 10 Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back