Intra Club Match - Replay up @ saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked at the intra club and as an ex ruckman take a bit of interest in the big fellas. I clearly thought that Longer beat Hickey.

Nevertheless Hickey should keep his spot as First ruck for obvious reasons but if that gap gets closer then that is a good thing.

The third man up removal means the bigger the lump next to the umpire on ball ups the more control you would expect to have in clearances from stoppages. Counterbalance this with Hickey's mobility and general marking around the ground which is clearly superior and we have an interesting dilemma which will evolve through the year, mobility V size.

Let's not get carried away- just a practice match and it's more about working out game plans and getting run into the players.

True... White kicked the most goals in the intra game couple of years back.. and got delisted without playing another AFL game. :(

based on Battle's draft reports such as these

" 50. Josh Battle- Field kicking very good as is his endurance which allows him to work up the ground. However once the ball hits the ground he has nothing and turns it over nearly every time as he is really rushed- limited agility and quite fumbly below his knees. Pretty good contested mark. My concern is that he has such poor agility and mobility below his knees that if the ball doesn’t come straight to him he will struggle to get it. He also doesn’t have the speed off the mark to get away or the size to win a wrestle so he will need to rack up massive kms to get a kick. I think he is a bust."

what do you think?????

" 50. Josh Battle- Field kicking very good as is his endurance which allows him to work up the ground. However once the ball hits the ground he has nothing and turns it over nearly every time as he is really rushed- limited agility and quite fumbly below his knees. Pretty good contested mark. My concern is that he has such poor agility and mobility below his knees that if the ball doesn’t come straight to him he will struggle to get it. He also doesn’t have the speed off the mark to get away or the size to win a wrestle so he will need to rack up massive kms to get a kick. I think he is a bust."

what do you think?????

Funny how he seems to be kicking a good percentage of his goals from the ball hitting the ground and seems to have pretty clean hands. He was rated anything from late top 10 to 50 and everyone had different reasons. Height seemed a concern too.

what do you think?????
Who wrote this?

Who wrote this?

Not Quigley ,who didn't rate him due to his combine results, and Not Knightmare, who thought he would go in the 20's and rated him OK with question marks.

Not Quigley ,who didn't rate him due to his combine results, and Not Knightmare, who thought he would go in the 20's and rated him OK with question marks.
Screenshot_2017-02-20-09-37-27.png emma quayle

So if Longer forces his spot into R1 ruck role, it's back to Hickey to be traded I take it? Just after signing a two year extension?

I mean, 2015 Hickey is being traded because Longer was number one, 2016 Longer traded because Hickey was number one....

Massive Hickey fan and his 2016 season was fantastic.. but would not be shocked one little bit if he's overtaken by Longer again, feel Longer can really come into his own this season. I'm backing him to return to number one ruck position if not to start the year definitely to end it.

JLT series will be very, very interesting between these two guys!
It is not something I would be expected to be played around with too much, but every chance one plays 15-16 games as No.1 ruck, and the other 7-8, depending on form, match-ups, and carrying niggles. There was no doubt that last year Tom was carrying some niggles, but kept on playing because that was better than bringing Holmes/Pierce in. I'd expect Tom to start the season ahead of Billy unless there was a drastic difference in form, but that is just my own thinking.

I get the sense that the midfield training has had a focus on structures in a way that whoever ends up rucking, the midfield go about their business in the same way. Really, our whole list is getting the kind of depth that if a certain player misses, the next foot soldier slots in with minimal change. So, in a way, the Hickey vs Longer (vs Pierce vs Holmes) becomes a side issue.

Some Port Supporter named Gee Dub.

Rated Galluci 3rd in the draft ( i didn't see anyone reputable, or knightmare rate him better than 19th ). He went early at 15th.
Simpkin was generally rated 13th to 21st.. Went 12th.
Some people rated Cox early but none as early as 11th.
Garthwaite ( rated 12th by GeeDub ) went at pick 72.
Dumin ( rated 19th by Gee Dub ) went in the Rookie Draft.
He had Evogolia around 20 picks earlier.
Mutch at 21.
Scharenberg at 22 ( Not Drafted ).

So he had Battle at 50, where most had him 18th to 27th.
He also had Venables at 49.

I'd suggest that if the players turn out the way he suggests we should offer him a Job. ( its ok if Battle is a bust he rated Marshall :D ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone else think Nathan Brown looked too heavy & slow in the scratch match?

Isnt that why Collingwood let him go?
Um... I think you'll find the reason Collingwood let him go is because Nathan Buckley is an egotistical moron.

So many amateur sleuths out there who know SFA about young talent.

FWIW, Hawthorn had Battle ranked at 19.
I remember lots of peeps on here were very bullish on him if he lasted to our first pick predraft. Then many gasps when we didnt take him.
Have to admit Im getting a bit excited after last week considering how young he is.

So many amateur sleuths out there who know SFA about young talent.

FWIW, Hawthorn had Battle ranked at 19.

but but... Gee Dub had him as a bust.

I know its early , but i struggle to remember a kid his age coming in and making such an impression , even in a practise game.
Certainly Spencer White did NOT. He didn't play the intraclub in his first season.
We drafted mature age key position players like Lee and Maister and they did not make the kind of impression Battle did.
I'm looking very forward to seeing him in the whatsit series.

https://stkildafcviews.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/st-kilda-intra-club-report/

Gee Dub clearly didnt watch much of him. he's pretty good when the ball hits the deck for a big bloke

Yeah ironically he didn't get many from marks the other day, most were collecting the ball off the deck and spinning around or getting around a player. I watched him in the All stars and I now can't remember if he marked many but he didn't seem to lack any agility and seems to step around his opponent with ease by changing direction. Either the agility test is a bit flawed or he is just an innate footballer who uses nous not agility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intra Club Match - Replay up @ saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back