Intra Club Match - Replay up @ saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

So if Longer forces his spot into R1 ruck role, it's back to Hickey to be traded I take it? Just after signing a two year extension?

I mean, 2015 Hickey is being traded because Longer was number one, 2016 Longer traded because Hickey was number one....

Massive Hickey fan and his 2016 season was fantastic.. but would not be shocked one little bit if he's overtaken by Longer again, feel Longer can really come into his own this season. I'm backing him to return to number one ruck position if not to start the year definitely to end it.

JLT series will be very, very interesting between these two guys!
Key is Pierce I think. I don't see Holmes improving at a rate that will make him a high level back up. If we trade one of Hickey or Longer we'd want some faith in the next bloke.

Yeah remember the 'losing our shit-ness' when we thought we were a chance to trade 1 for 4, 6 and 7?

Funnily enough the giants may have actually ended up better off now with that trade...
I just had a look and **** me, all 3 are now gone. How the hell did Paul Ahern go from a top 8 draft pick to traded for pick 69? Likewise Pickett. I mean, did GWS just pick a bunch of spuds?

I just had a look and **** me, all 3 are now gone. How the hell did Paul Ahern go from a top 8 draft pick to traded for pick 69? Likewise Pickett. I mean, did GWS just pick a bunch of spuds?

Their entire 2014 draft got wiped in last year's trade period. Steele to us and their other pick to the dee's. Both for not much.

Ahern - back to back knee reconstructions. Won't even play this year - North

Pickett - ongoing foot stress fracture issues. Seems to be over them now. - Carlton

Marchbank - ankle & shoulder issues - Carlton

McKenna - traded to Dees

Steele - Broken foot - Saints

Jeremy Finlayson is the only bloke from 2014 draft still at GWS

Paddy McCartin was good but he has some work to do with his kicking on goal. He missed a couple of very easy shots and must have kcicked at least 3 behinds and 1 out on the full. If he converts all of them hes had a 6 or 7 goal game which is more indictitive of how dominant he could be?

Very happy with Paddy's development .

His kicking I thought was fine except when he tried to guide the kick , rather than kick the ball hard each time .
It is a technique issue , when close to goal he just needs to kick the ball hard but low , not high ball drop and guiding the ball in windy conditions.

Very happy with Paddy's development .

His kicking I thought was fine except when he tried to guide the kick , rather than kick the ball hard each time .
It is a technique issue , when close to goal he just needs to kick the ball hard but low , not high ball drop and guiding the ball in windy conditions.
He seemed to be worried about kicking the ball out of the ground i immediately thought about Plugger always kicking it 40 meters even from the top of the goal square

I'd agree with that. Neither was particularly useful around the ground but Billy physically battered Hick.

As for Dunstan, was it wishful thinking or did he look a yard quicker?

Thought Dunstan definitely looked quicker

I thought I saw him accelerate away from a player a few times

If he becomes a solid b grader, possibly even a borderline a grader, that would be huge

I have no insight into Hickey v Longer

But good to see Longer take a couple of pack marks

I keep making this next point ad nauseum, I guess because it's such a welcome change, here are our "big bodied" mids -

Stevens, Ross, Armitage (not hugely tall, but tough and thick thru the middle), Steele, Dunstan (again, not hugely tall, but tough as nails), and hopefully Acres as well, Weller with some midfield minutes is another powerful option

That's such a change from only a couple of seasons ago when it was Armitage and an aged Hayes

I keep making this next point ad nauseum, I guess because it's such a welcome change, here are our "big bodied" mids -

Stevens, Ross, Armitage (not hugely tall, but tough and thick thru the middle), Steele, Dunstan (again, not hugely tall, but tough as nails), and hopefully Acres as well, Weller with some midfield minutes is another powerful option

That's such a change from only a couple of seasons ago when it was Armitage and an aged Hayes
Not to mention only a couple of years ago the only option in our forward like was Nroo. Now we can't fit all our talls in the same side!

I remember when we were playing against the Giants last year at Etihad, they really lived up to their name - just so much bigger and stronger than our players. Glad to see that evenning up a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention only a couple of years ago the only option in our forward like was Nroo. Now we can't fit all our talls in the same side!
Yep, it's a Battle to decide who to leave out!

Would be ludicrous to not have hickey starting as our number 1. He showed signs last year of developing into the top 3 rucks in the Comp and I don't think he was even that far off that last year

Not to mention that he had the wood over Gawn twice last season. Good psychological advantage for Round 1.

rc3f3k.jpg

I only just saw this pic now... is that not the most determined look ever on JB. love it

My immediate impression of that photo was that it looked like Geary had just farted.

I wandered over there too. The posts about tge match was like it was a different game
I don't get the hate.

The consensus there seems to be that Billings was best on ground and Battle was great but let's not get carried away with one practice match.

There's a few questionable posts but you don't need to go to Saintsational to find that.

I wandered over there too. The posts about tge match was like it was a different game

I just went and had a look ( it's like when someone says not to look out the window at a car accident) I read Big Marts post and agreed with everything he wrote.....I'm either turning into a grumpy old campaigner or he's mellowed.

I don't get the hate.

The consensus there seems to be that Billings was best on ground and Battle was great but let's not get carried away with one practice match.

There's a few questionable posts but you don't need to go to Saintsational to find that.

I think SS still has a bad reputation from the old days of a few posters that enjoyed arguing. It seems a bit more peaceful these days. I jumped off because I was spending too much time posting on 2 forums.

I bumped into Richo post intra club game and discussed the game with him. Points to take out the discussion with him:
- Praise reserved for Billings, Battle, Wright, Roberton, Ross
- Praised Paddy's marking but his tone of voice changed when talking about his conversion in front of goal.
- Big challenge will be finding the best inside midfield set up so will use the pre season games to determine, which is what is expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intra Club Match - Replay up @ saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back