Intraclub match, Wednesday 3rd Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

He guys went to the match and was very happy with the free entry, free sausage sizzle and free master drinks was a good show. I was impressed with this Shuey guy that i have never seen play before, looks like hes got some talent and sullivan was also one i had my eye on although he wont b on the starting list because of cox and nick nat, he will be a good backup if required.

Good to be watching some footy at last.:thumbsu:

The clash strip looked good IMO, happy with it.

Also - Masten, Ebert and Shuey all look great in their new numbers, especially Ebert in the #5.

Yep, Garlett has a lot of promise IMO, just needs TOG. Now with Riggio and Roach at Swans, not sure he's going to get it?

Is Garlett staying at that housing like the Jetta boys were at last season? Where is Riggio staying?

Garlett should probably ask to join Peel for his sake in getting game time. Unless he can show something like Jetta did last season with his burst of pace which garlett doesn't have, I can see him sliding to the WCE rookie list with first selection if they want him.

Kerr v Shuey - Shuey good early. Moved off Kerr for a bit and Kerr started getting a lot mroe of the ball> Shuey tires early.

Notte v Glass - Looked like Notte either beat glass for pace or Glass let him mrk up on the wings. Had him controlled deep forward. Showed some sticky hands at times. Times his jumps well as well.

Sullivan v Nat - Sullivan never gave up but nic nat had him covered most of the game. Sullivan doesnt look very nimble. Nic Nat great pressure around stoppages some big tackles

Smith v Leccras - Both busy, smith probably more so early with leccras getting on top as the game wore on. quite a good game by smith but needs to keep working on fitness.

SHep v Nik - Some good spoils by shep and great run out of the backline early. Nik got some posessions late but not very effective.

JJ v Mkinley - JJ had a very good 1st quarters. Really wasnt expecting anywhere near as much as he showed. Showed great leadership cotrolling the zone and shouting orders mckinley improved as the game wore on but jj wasnt on him. think c billings was.

Sorry about spelling and grammer!!! trying to get it out asap
Cheers for the Write up Guys.. Its much App.

But.................... its 3/4 time not 2/3 time. as the game is 4 qtrs long.
Also so many have been raging about how this guy dominated and this guys did Sweet FA but I suggest we all look at the players direct opponant before sprouting off how good they are.
Example's:
Glass v Notte- Glass dam well have better kept him Goalless or we are Screwed.
Naita v Sully- Nick should have smashed him EVERYWHERE otherwise he isn't as good as we thought.
Hansen v ????- Should have kicked a bag on a WAFL defender and didnt, I would say terrible regardless of how many he kicked.
Nico v Shep- Nico shoulda ran rings around Shep and if he didnt then either Nico aint good enough or shep will be.
JJ v McKinley- Mckinley should have kicked at least 5 not 3 on a 2nd year defender.

All in all This really worries me as this was our Best available team and we only won by 30 odd points, against a WAFL team really. NOT GOOD, what if this was Adelaide or Brisbane who are bigger and stronger then who we played tonight we would have gotten smashed.
The players that Played well from what Ive read (cause I wasn't There) was Shuey, Smith, Priddis, Masten and Ebert. Why did I say these when I never saw the game because of WHO they played on and How well they went playing on them.
Shuey apparently did a great job on KERR.
Smith apparently did a great job on LeCras
Priddis apparently did a good job on Dalziell.
Masten apparently did a great job on Who ever came to him.
Ebert apparently did a great job for a Weaker team.

Glass, Naita, Hansen, Nico, Scooter, Rosa and many others should have dominated completely and if they didn't then They IMHO had a bad game.

I think the Coaching Staff muffed this intra club match by makeing it sooooo 1 sided, they should have evened it up so the competition was stronger for the experiance guys and more even for the Younger guys.
Example:
Kerr v A.Selwood
Priddis v Butler
Masten v Shuey
Rosa v Ebert
Embley v Dalziell
Glass v Lynch
Hansen v Wilkes
Schofield v Notte
McKinley v B.Jones
LeCras v Scooter
etc etc etc.
Then the WAFL players play against other WAFL players, it just doesnt make any sence on how we did it imo.
Well thanks for the write up guys it was interesting reading for sure.:thumbsu:

Also so many have been raging about how this guy dominated and this guys did Sweet FA but I suggest we all look at the players direct opponant before sprouting off how good they are.
Example's:
Naita v Sully- Nick should have smashed him EVERYWHERE otherwise he isn't as good as we thought.
Hansen v ????- Should have kicked a bag on a WAFL defender and didnt, I would say terrible regardless of how many he kicked.
Nico v Shep- Nico shoulda ran rings around Shep and if he didnt then either Nico aint good enough or shep will be.
JJ v McKinley- Mckinley should have kicked at least 5 not 3 on a 2nd year defender.

All in all This really worries me as this was our Best available team and we only won by 30 odd points, against a WAFL team really. NOT GOOD, what if this was Adelaide or Brisbane who are bigger and stronger then who we played tonight we would have gotten smashed.
The players that Played well from what Ive read (cause I wasn't There) was Shuey, Smith, Priddis, Masten and Ebert. Why did I say these when I never saw the game because of WHO they played on and How well they went playing on them.

Glass, Naita, Hansen, Nico, Scooter, Rosa and many others should have dominated completely and if they didn't then They IMHO had a bad game.

I think the Coaching Staff muffed this intra club match by makeing it sooooo 1 sided, they should have evened it up so the competition was stronger for the experiance guys and more even for the Younger guys.
Example:
Kerr v A.Selwood
Priddis v Butler
Masten v Shuey
Rosa v Ebert
Embley v Dalziell
Glass v Lynch
Hansen v Wilkes
Schofield v Notte
McKinley v B.Jones
LeCras v Scooter
etc etc etc.
Then the WAFL players play against other WAFL players, it just doesnt make any sence on how we did it imo.

Lol.

Are you all this stupid. Practice games are about trialling different techniques and getting km's into the legs of the players.

Hell, the bouncedown wasnt even compulsory, at the start of a few quarters the game commenced from a boundary throw in.

You're point about WAFL players playing WAFL playes is absurd, the whole appeal for these WAFL fill ins is to test their wears against the best, to see what is necessary to take the next step.

For a bloke who wasnt there, you have some strong opinions on how the game was played. :eek:

Example:
Kerr v A.Selwood
Priddis v Butler
Masten v Shuey
Rosa v Ebert
Embley v Dalziell
Glass v Lynch
Hansen v Wilkes
Schofield v Notte
McKinley v B.Jones
LeCras v Scooter
etc etc etc.

Yeah I some what agree. With every Intra club game I have played with it was more about the match ups rather than who won the game.

But on the other side I feel it was good for the best eagles to be playing on the same team as they build on their team chemisty, trial their new game plan on a weaker team to see if they have it all worked out and to see what youngesters to cut it againist already AFL players.

In saying that I like the approach they took, but can clearly see your point EA

Example's:

Example:
Kerr v A.Selwood
Priddis v Butler
Masten v Shuey
Rosa v Ebert
Embley v Dalziell
Glass v Lynch
Hansen v Wilkes
Schofield v Notte
McKinley v B.Jones
LeCras v Scooter
etc etc etc.

I think your reading way to much into what is a inter club match 50 days out from the start of the season

Wouldn't even bother rating the Senior players at this stage of the season in paticular

What you should be looking at is how the younger players, borderline best 22 or injured from last year are going as they are the ones that need to impress and from the reports in this thread it seems their are plenty of encouraging signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol.

Are you all this stupid. Practice games are about trialling different techniques and getting km's into the legs of the players.

Hell, the bouncedown wasnt even compulsory, at the start of a few quarters the game commenced from a boundary throw in.

There were only three x 20min 'thirds' and each started with a bounce down... as per the newspaper articles because of a lack of rotations and stoppages with no TV etc, each 'third' would have a 90 second break at the 10 min mark for a drink, breather, with play recommencing wherever it was stopped.

Yeah, it's like he's getting teleported around the ground. I kept thinking to myself, "how did he get there? I just saw him at the other end of the ground."

He's going to be a real asset in getting numbers to contests I think.

Does that description remind you of a young man named Ben Cousins!!

well I went down. Won't go through person by person, you've heard it several time already.
Was impressed by how seriously the senior guys took it, in previous years these preseason intra clubs are just a bit of a kick about for the older blokes who are more looking to make sure they don't get injured before the season starts, than actually get some practice. But guys like embley (sharpest I've seen him in preseason) Kerr (looks heaps better, and wanted to be out there) Glass (usual professional self) Hurn (gotta be AA this year) even Hansen, all looked sharp and ready to have a big year. You can really sense that they are believing the team is ready to play finals this year.
Young guys that impressed me - Masten (bulked up, no injury worries, looks awesome) Naita (starting to look very comfortable in his role), Shuey, Ebert (was excellent in a midfield that was getting dominated). JJ.
Noticed a couple of things, le cras through the middle a bit more, and hurn on a wing several times (that may just have been because the ball wasn't getting down there much)
And I will join the list of people who thought notte was average. I hope he picks up, but it's been 3 seasons and he's still a twig (slightly bigger twig this year, but still a twig) and doesn't impose himself on the game at all, just floats around for the most part.

that was my opinion anyway. Honestly think we may get off to a good start this year if injuries etc go our way.

I may as well put my two cents in (probably all its worth!). I was there and agree it was scrappy. Things that stood out for me:
All of the young midfielders that have been mentioned I agree had good games and I am sorry but anybody who doesn't rate Ebert is a goose. He is a rolls royce and I would have him in my starting 18 in a heartbeat. Rosa and Dalziell were ordinary. I have always thought Rosa is ordinary and still do so - the sooner one of the younger mids takes his spot the better. Too early for a decision on Dalziell but the signs weren't good. Nicoski was ordinary also - I do no understand what the coaching staff see in him.
I have previously stated on this forum that Schofield would never make it and while I am not ready to eat humble pie completely and admit I was wrong, I am happy to eat a small serving because he showed some really good signs. Hansen is definitely only our back up CHF - had silver service, was playing on non-AFL standard backmen for the most part and still only managed 2 goals. I mean he should have kicked 5! On that performance Lynch must also be worried because gee he hardly touched the ball. Thought McKinley was quite good, I think it is unfair to say he kicked cheap goals. Good forwards have a knack of being in the right place at the right time and provided its not because they're not running both ways (which I dont think it was) McKinley may just be one of the few natural forwards we have on our list. Jordan Jones and Smith look the goods to me, maybe not quite ready but they are both quick, slick and seem reasonable decision makers and readers of the play.
The season ahead:
Ruck and midfield looks like it will certainly improve from last year (agree with Swannies - let Nic NAt be a ruckman first and judge him on that - Cox doesnt kick many goals FFS);
Backline - hard to say because only Glass and Hurn (who were good last year) played so dont have a view yet;
Forward - Still a massive area of concern. We just dont look potent at all and okay adding Kennedy will help but we really lack leg speed and smarts down there once it hits the ground.

Scooter- played like a seasoned veteran, looks stronger, harder but lighter on his feet- looks good.

Shuey- was amazing- could be anything imo.

Naita- just dominated the ruck, looked confident and was a treat to watch him.

Masten- non stop running, quick, compact and great disposal:thumbsu:

Smith & JJ- both clearly have talent, good base to build upon.

Scofield- a talent, very much worth keeping.

Senior guys like Glass, Kerr, A Selwood, Hurn were all very good as to be expected.

Not so good imo: Ebert, Rosa, Dalziell (was played as an inside mid which he is not imo), Hansen, Sullivan- a bit physically overwhelmed by the beast.

Didn't see Lynch too much.

Thanks all for your reviews - made for good reading.

EA - that was the most bizarre post I have ever read ... but I will keep you in mind next time I want a write-up of a game from someone that didn't actually see the match.

When resting forward, his value is in applying defensive pressure, taking a decent defender and occasionally doing something mercurial. We shouldn't be using him as a marking target.

If Naita were to play forward at stages, the club needs to develop his marking so that he can be a marking target. Who in the AFL is going to stop Naita once he can consistently take a grab up forward when resting from his ruck duties.
Sandilands and Seaby are formidable marking targets in the forward 50. How much more so with someone with the athletic traits of Naita once he can take that regular grab.

I also agree with Swannies in that Woosha shouldn't change Naita's style of game. Let Naita be, to win clearances after his tap work. I think some on BF, btw I'm not saying you, expect Naita to play similarly to Cox in that he rucks and then runs into space to become a linkman and receiver. That's not Naita's game.

I think Naita needs to bring more to the forward line than just defensive pressure. Any tall in a forward line must be a marking target. If not, sit him on the pine for a breather when he needs to rest.
I also don't want Naita to be a hindrance to the other forwards, especially the lead and mark types. Despite not having the best forward structure in the league, a semblance of it must be maintained for some cohesion. Naita in the forward line is a wild card in that he's unpredictable. His forward line play may work out well at times, but it doesn't go according to structure. He's more see the ball, get the ball, and plays instinctively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intraclub match, Wednesday 3rd Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back