Intraclub match, Wednesday 3rd Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, was sitting pretty much on the wing on the Subi side and this is what I saw!!

Firstly agree totally with what has been said about Shuey. 3 or 4 very nice clearances early plus the goal. A. Slewood was moved onto him in the 2nd quarter to try and shut him down and did somewhat. Saw him look very tired at the end of the 2nd quarter and a trainer go to him but neither looked at his arm at that point so I'm guessing the ise was precautionary.

Kerr got better and better. Him and Shuey in the same side will give us the ball winners we have needed to release the likes of Swift and Masten.

JJ was close to the Royals best I thought. Got plenty of the ball, fought hard and hit targets.

Nicnat was dominat around the packs. Hit Embley on the chest from 50m after a centre free.

Dalziell was quiet but looked good a couple of times when linked up with Ebert.

Ebert best of the Royals.

Hams has a very good kick on him but as said was unaccountable.

Not sure what everyone else saw in Scooter but I saw him turn the ball over in defence way too easliy on atelast 2 occasions, Ebert much better in the 22 for mine.

Overall, had Dalziell, Nicnat, Shuey and Hurn in my DT, now will have Kerr, Nicnat, Hurn and Shuey!!!

Mez

I personally don't like Scooter playing in the BP because he lacks poise atm, and his kicking atm is a tad to shaky to be negotiating pin point passes from the last line of defense with pressure on him.
If he must play as a backman, play him away from the goals.

That's the reason I like Butler down back. He's poised with ball in hand, his decision making is reliable, and he has a good pass by foot.

I can't understand all the negative reviews on ebert. Besides shuey he was the best on ground for the royals. Had so much composure with the ball and strong hands. If u saw a replay of the game you would notice that he did alot more then most of u think.

Just on Naitanui looking lost in the forward line.

Firstly, he is a natural born ruckman not forward so it's not surprising he didn't look like Fev down there.

Also, he will make a lead then abandon it, push back, then give up on that idea, needs to be clear in his head about how to get the ball and persist with it. If he wants it on the lead then go flat out for it and don't second guess whether it's the right move, that what makes him look lost secon-guessing and lack of confidence up forward......imo. Best bet would be playing deep and not leading too far out, just using his height and strength deep a la Sandi, and of course put the fear of god into opponents with his pressure and tackling.

In the ruck and around the ground though- amazing to watch, and more confident too:thumbsu:

I personally don't like Scooter playing in the BP because he lacks poise atm, and his kicking atm is a tad to shaky to be negotiating pin point passes from the last line of defense with pressure on him.

That's the reason I like Butler down back. He's poised with ball in hand, his decision making is reliable, and he has a good pass by foot.

Selwood was brillian last night, composed, skilled and strong.

Selwood was brillian last night, composed, skilled and strong.

He may have been so. Then again, an intra-club scratchie doesn't have the pressure or intensity of a H&A game.
I was talking about his 2009 when playing in the BP and the reasons I don't want to see him there in 2010.

I do rate Scooter, just not for a role in the BP.

Any tall in a forward line must be a marking target.

In 99% of cases I would agree with you, but I don't think that applies to NN. That's not to say NN can't take a grab and won't improve in that area, but he applies so much pressure with his strength and pace that he can conjure enough goals for himself and his teammates, in unconventional ways, to be of value, even if he's not taking a heap of marks.

In 99% of cases I would agree with you, but I don't think that applies to NN. That's not to say NN can't take a grab and won't improve in that area, but he applies so much pressure with his strength and pace that he can conjure enough goals for himself and his teammates, in unconventional ways, to be of value, even if he's not taking a heap of marks.

I've thought about Naita's value to the forward line without the marks he should take, and I agree with you to a point. His chasing, tackling and pressure is outstanding.

Naita's not inept at taking a grab, he's just got to improve it a fair bit. I don't think it's at a level to justify resting him in a FP though. Without the marking, he's no different to Phil Matera, except Phil could lead and mark. Phil chased and tackled and grabbed opportunistic goals, similar to what some are expecting of Naita. Phil was also more FP savy than Nic.
Imo, Naita needs to take marks consistently when the opportunities come his way in the forward line, otherwise, he's going to be more miss than hit when resting forward.

If he doesn't lead and mark, or be a goal square bandit and mark the incoming high ball, imo, he doesn't justify being up forward till he's capable of performing this duty consistently.

If Naita was as tall as ninja turtle Phil, we'd expect him to play accordingly, as Phil did, and as he can. Yet because he's a 6'8 ruckman, he's got to be able to play as someone who's a 6'8 ruckman. That should be what's expected. Naita being capable of playing the role of ninja turtle Phil, should be seen as a bonus, not an exemption from performing his main duty, which for any resting ruckman going forward, is to take a grab and kick a goal.

Some pics on getty images: http://www.gettyimages.com.au/Searc...editorial&p=west coast eagles&assetType=image

96374916.jpg

Naitanui looks beastly

Agree 100%.

Scooter is possibly my favourite player but he should not be played out of the backline. He got quite a bit of it last night, and when he has to hit an open team mate he manages to.

But when he's confronted with a wall of players coming out of half-back he struggles to hit up a target, and I saw this occur on more than one occasion in the intraclub. His kicking action is a bit up-and-under; he chips it rather than spears it. I'm not totally convinced about his decision-making in that situation either.

His strengths are his agility + speed, clean hands/vision in congestion, tackling and hardness at the ball. That just screams "inside midfielder" to me.

He's still frighteningly young, so hopefully he's only being played in the backline until the coaches feel his body is ready to take on a midfield role, but I'm a little concerned. If anything, he'd be of more use as a forward pocket than rebounding half-back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i reckon hansens bad luck has come from an early age, like seriously take a look at the kid, his got red hair. i have no idea what west coast were thinking when they picked him up. He definitely will become a liability to the team, and the bloke can't even win his own hard ball.

i reckon hansens bad luck has come from an early age, like seriously take a look at the kid, his got red hair. i have no idea what west coast were thinking when they picked him up. He definitely will become a liability to the team, and the bloke can't even win his own hard ball.

well no, because i clearly stated shuey

no you didnt

Watch out for Michael Florio this season, took me a while to pick him out for the royals side, but got the ball ran well with and has classy disposal.

He was very very unlucky not to be rookied by WCE, but they went another way with the rookie drafting.

But he is definately on there radar, I expect if he has a really good season will end up being picked up in the 2010 national draft.

Watch out for Michael Florio this season, took me a while to pick him out for the royals side, but got the ball ran well with and has classy disposal.

He was very very unlucky not to be rookied by WCE, but they went another way with the rookie drafting.

But he is definately on there radar, I expect if he has a really good season will end up being picked up in the 2010 national draft.

He better not do a Lewis Jetta and be a rookie prospect in 09 when he was available for WC to snap up at great value, and then go on to be a top 30 pick in 2010. Anymore of that kind of caper will leave me fuming, especially if our 09 rookies don't succeed.

I noticed him. Lanky kid with a decent boot on him.

Anyone see Sullivan staying on in 2011? Needs to be a body on body ruck given his lack of leap and is no way near big enough at this stage.

i reckon shueys bad luck has come from an early age, like seriously take a look at the kid, his got red hair. i have no idea what west coast were thinking when they picked him up. He definitely will become a liability to the team, and the bloke can't even win his own hard ball.

Obvious troll is obvious troll. :thumbsu:

actually it was 3 periods - so perhaps don't correct what you don't know
Yeh kinda figured I would get burnt on this 1 when I read in the paper this morning that it was 3 x 20 min QTRS
oh well
Thanks all for your reviews - made for good reading.

EA - that was the most bizarre post I have ever read ... but I will keep you in mind next time I want a write-up of a game from someone that didn't actually see the match.
I was simply pointing out that everyone was raving about players like Naita when all he was doing was beating a lesser calibre player.

Its like saying Jeez Chris Judd is sooo good cause he out played a Suburban league player... As you would expect this to happen EVERYTIME I dont see the reason for going over board about it. SIMPLE.

But hey I was busy at work and didnt see the game so I was only going on what I read.:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Intraclub match, Wednesday 3rd Feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back