Team Captain
Suspended
Jul 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill
Good article by Mark Robinon in the Hun this morning, pointing out the clear problems facing th AFL through sponsors "employing" footy players in dubious roles.

I say dubious, because by his own admission, Judd sometimes puts in no hours a week, but sometimes up to 4-5 hours. Wow. That's about $7500 per hour!

The AFL has rubber stamped this deal, so as they say in the classics, if you can't beat them, join them ...

I have it on very good authority that Luke Hodge is extremely pasionate about the health benefits of fruit juice. One of Hawthorn's board members is also the owner of Boost Juice. I see a very clear partnership here, for a million a year, Hodgey can wear a Boost Juice cap and give out discount vouchers at all footy clinics and school visits he does. He could also punch out a couple of ads and maybe just visit a few Boost Juice outlets just to keep the staff happy.

I hear that Joel Selwood apparently considers himself an expert in fruit, as he ate a lot of it when he was growing up. Frank Costa can put him on as an ambassador to promote the healthy eating fruit. "An Apple a Day, Keeps the Premiership Away" could become his catchcry and for a mill a year, he could ensure that at all public appearances, he always has a piece of fruit at hand. And as a special bonus, he could chomp into a banana every time he has a rest on the bench.

St Kilda has Jayco Caravans as a ball sponsor. A number of years ago they ran an advertising campaign that was along the lines of "get off the grass, your tent's got no class". Michael Gardiner - a match made in Heaven.

Most clubs have wealthy sponsors and supporters.

It's a bit harder for the Roos, but apparently their very own Poor Man's Eddie McGuire, James Brayshaw, has a mate who works at Werribee Sewerage Farm, who reckons he could get Daniel Pratt a gig running one of the mixers down there whenever he has some time off. Award rates apply. But you get what you pay for in this case.

See Carlton, you're not the only team which can rort the rules. You're just the only one that does.

Re: InVisyble Judd

This is the most terrible thing in the AFL.

No one knows how much Judd is making. It could be millions.

The AFL signed off on the deal but it really doesn't know the deal at all.

Judd works about 3 hous a week for about $30,000.

Remember when Brisbane won the flag and all the players worked for the Queensland Bank yet never turned up.

The AFL salary cap is a disgrace.

It is just a hopeless joke.

This is the most terrible thing in the AFL.

No one knows how much Judd is making. It could be millions.

The AFL signed off on the deal but it really doesn't know the deal at all.

Judd works about 3 hous a week for about $30,000.

Remember when Brisbane won the flag and all the players worked for the Queensland Bank yet never turned up.

The AFL salary cap is a disgrace.

It is just a hopeless joke.

I heard the Lions players were given Banking franchises. Is that true?

The Judd thing is a disgrace.

See Carlton, you're not the only team which can rort the rules. You're just the only one that does.

Nice of you to ignore the part of the article where Judd mentioned that Medibank Private and Puma were personal sponsors of him at the Eagles. So much for Carlton being the only club that does it. :rolleyes:

That said, it's a practice that should be eliminated.

The AFL were bending over backwards to get Judd back to Victoria. They may have over-reached a little in doing so. Nothing new for them though. I think Carlton could still have got Judd without the Visy deal but you know it really hasn't helped them paying Judd that much. He seems a very contented man to me, still a good player but not playing with the same passion/hunger he had at West Coast.

From what I understand the comparitive wage is taken into account - unfortunately there is no 'wage' for an environmental ambassador as in the Judd case.

Re Brisbane, at least a couple of years ago (not sure now?) there were a small number of players who were employed by Bank of Queensland (perhaps)?? I recall seeing something in one of the Lions Tales editions - might have even been Simon Black.

"Bayswater Jayco - the home of happy caravans"

Sydney surely must have a deal with A1 car removals - 'you'll be giving the money to me then wont you Barry'...

I thought Hall had more balls than that.

So Carlton are 'exploiting' a 'technicality' in the AFL rules ...

They had an investigator spend several weeks looking into the Judd contract with VISY, and they thought it was fine, so this is just a massive beat up.

It's not as if we're loaded with highly priced players, so we have enough room to pay him under the Cap, and if Judd wants a job at VISY after he retires, or become an 'environmental' ambassador ..

This thread just reeks of tall-poppy syndrome and more blatant anti-Carlton paranoia.

So Carlton are 'exploiting' a 'technicality' in the AFL rules ...

They had an investigator spend several weeks looking into the Judd contract with VISY, and they thought it was fine, so this is just a massive beat up.

It's not as if we're loaded with highly priced players, so we have enough room to pay him under the Cap, and if Judd wants a job at VISY after he retires, or become an 'environmental' ambassador ..

This thread just reeks of tall-poppy syndrome and more blatant anti-Carlton paranoia.

Its not a massive beat up. Many people in the football industry think it is a joke. Even Leigh Matthews has questioned it.

The AFL were bending over backwards to get Judd back to Victoria. They may have over-reached a little in doing so. Nothing new for them though. I think Carlton could still have got Judd without the Visy deal but you know it really hasn't helped them paying Judd that much. He seems a very contented man to me, still a good player but not playing with the same passion/hunger he had at West Coast.

You obviously haven't seen any Carlton matches this year.

No real surprise. In WA with only two teams there are sponsors lining up for the big stars. Back in the nineties Mainy was on every ad you could imagine plus contracts with channel seven. Hard one to control and one the afl will have to keep monitoring.How does it work if a players gets 300k a year but somehow his Mrs is working for the clubs major sponsor for 150k? Not sure how much this is regulated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprise surprise Mark Robinson with another negative comment piece about Chris Judd!

Just another example of Mark Robinson's vendetta against Chris Judd.

Would love to know what Judd did to get Robinson offside.

This is the writer who doesn't put Chris Judd in Carlton's best players when he is considered BOG by everyone else.

This is the same writer that could not acknowledge the brave efforts Judd made to keep on playing against St Kilda whilst having a broken nose and choking on his own blood.

Still waiting on the Mark Robinson article questioning the legitimacy of www.matthewlloyd.com.au and www.jameshird.com.au.

The league would be better served by abolishing the salary cap and letting the clubs run wild.

The money saved by the penny pinchers investigating the clubs can instead be invested back into developing youth.

The league would be better served by abolishing the salary cap and letting the clubs run wild.

The money saved by the penny pinchers investigating the clubs can instead be invested back into developing youth.

And have even more money flow out of the game to players and player managers.

Not sure you've really thought that plan through.

How can it be cheating if it's signed off by the AFL?

Why hang Judd and Carlton out to dry because the marketing unit of Visy is dragging their knuckles? ;)

Still waiting on the Mark Robinson article questioning the legitimacy of www.matthewlloyd.com.au and www.jameshird.com.au.

Might want to get your facts right before you post. The websites you listed don't exist. You're referring to EFC paying internet agreements for Lloyd and Hird to write articles on essendonfc.com.au

Nice of you to ignore the part of the article where Judd mentioned that Medibank Private and Puma were personal sponsors of him at the Eagles. So much for Carlton being the only club that does it. :rolleyes:

That said, it's a practice that should be eliminated.

you willing to miss the next 2 drafts for that?

this article disgusted me
cmon who sometimes doesnt work all week and then does all over 4-5 hours work one week to earn the x$ amount of money they get from it (in the hundred of thousands)

It is obvious environmental ambassador is a made up role for the Blues to siphon more money to Judd and not have it counted in the salary cap.

I cant understand how or WHY the AFL ticked off on this... I mean if its because they want Judd back in Victoria there is a real problem. I mean with the fixture and this incident the AFL is compromising the INTEGRITY OF THE GAME FOR $$$

As for Carlton you would have thought with half a decade on the bottom and three wooden spoons as a consequence of rorting the salary cap previously they would have learnt their lesson!!

Remove this Banner Ad

InVisyble Judd *MB Thread*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back