Irish media is one thing, what about the Irish people?

Remove this Banner Ad

To be specific, the problem I have with the Aussies is that they threw a punch, singled out Geraghty and started verbally abusing and jostling the Irish players before the ball had been thrown in.

The main issue seems to be the Aussies cynical and overly aggressive attitude in a game that doesn't really warrent it. Again, I think in a compromise game with the NZ All Blacks they would have had a different attitude. Why?

If you have ever seen an AFL game you would know that a bit of pushing and shoving before a game is not just common but expected. The players go out and let the other team know that they are there and they can not be intimidated and will take whatever can be dished out.

I love reading what some people are saying about the Irish not starting the fight because we could not stand up to the big mean Aussies so instead they got them with dirty shots behind the play. How did the Irish expect the Aussies to react to it? That they would ignore it and continue? Dirty tactics in Australia result in a worse reaction from the whole team than would result from taking a player on face to face.

I don’t see your point about Australia having a different reaction to the All Blacks if they played. Australian players never stand down from a fight and would be the same or most probably worse due to the history of the countries and neither team would back down or want to show any weakness. Maybe the New Zealanders would like to fight head on instead of resorting to behind the play incidents to get under the other teams skin.

I don’t see your point about Australia having a different reaction to the All Blacks if they played. Australian players never stand down from a fight and ....
Yes you do. He means that if Australian Rules players were up against opponents who were bigger than them and able to inflict more damage, they wouldn't try and act so tough. Australian players do stand down from a fight, regularly. Australian batsmen against West Indies fast bowlers in the '70's and '80's, Collingwood players against Brisbane in the 2003 Grand Final, Australian rugby union players against the Springboks in the '70's immediately spring to mind. But don't worry, the AFL players will never play a game against bigger players who can inflict damage on them, the clubs wouldn't allow it.

Yes you do. He means that if Australian Rules players were up against opponents who were bigger than them and able to inflict more damage, they wouldn't try and act so tough. Australian players do stand down from a fight, regularly. Australian batsmen against West Indies fast bowlers in the '70's and '80's, Collingwood players against Brisbane in the 2003 Grand Final, Australian rugby union players against the Springboks in the '70's immediately spring to mind.

you neglected to mention: Footscray from any meaningful success

why are they stupid for dropping knees, headbutting? i never said it was stupid, i said disgraceful. when you have to defend yourself sometimes dirty tactics is all you can use. Stupid would of being letting the aus. team hit us off the ball and not react. i know they was a mindset there for two reason

1. gilbee was very clear in his comments
2. i played golf at the K Club and talked to 5 or 6 of your guys who were playing with Colm o'Rourke (irish ex gaa player and tv pundit) and they told me what they were going to do.

wrestle is no a allow in IR. or pushing the head in the ground.

as for you insult i think its time to you an old irish saying -

never argue with an idiot first they drag you down to their level and then they beat you with experience.

Yes dopey, and your a case in point..a classic example. Come back when you get respect.

Yes you do. He means that if Australian Rules players were up against opponents who were bigger than them and able to inflict more damage, they wouldn't try and act so tough. Australian players do stand down from a fight, regularly. Australian batsmen against West Indies fast bowlers in the '70's and '80's, Collingwood players against Brisbane in the 2003 Grand Final, Australian rugby union players against the Springboks in the '70's immediately spring to mind. But don't worry, the AFL players will never play a game against bigger players who can inflict damage on them, the clubs wouldn't allow it.

And here I was talking about AFL not Cricket.

Any player who goes onto a field needs to be prepared to take a hit from another who may be upto 20 kilos heavier than you from any direction. Just going out there risks their health. A Geelong player recently lost a kidney by doing just that. AFL players a not scared of taking a hit in a game they do react badly though to dirty behind the play stuff like the Irish love to do.

The All black’s in this hypothetical game could not play players much bigger than the Aussies as they could not run a game out and Australia would bring out a completely different team to the one that is chosen to play the Irish.

Like I said pride would not allow the Aussies get intimidated by the Kiwis and would probably make them more aggressive than they are towards the Irish due to the history between the countries and the ability of the Kiwis to take a hit and fight face to face if they feel the need.

WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!! Weak prick. F@cking sook!!

2003GF two Australian teams?

in a hypothetical game with the all blacks we wouldn't have guys like davey, pearce or selwood lining up for us (even though I know how rough and dirty the irish seem to think these blokes are).

we'd be lining up with Guys like brown, archer, roo - guys with grunt, power and toughness. I'd love to see how the Irish reacted if they actually did have to play against Brown or Arch - neither of those two would put up with your cheap shot bull******** and they'd take half your goddamn team down.

thats ignoring the fact that the footskills of most allblacks wouldn't compete with your average afl player - let alone all Oz reps.

in a hypothetical game with the all blacks we wouldn't have guys like davey, pearce or selwood lining up for us (even though I know how rough and dirty the irish seem to think these blokes are).

we'd be lining up with Guys like brown, archer, roo - guys with grunt, power and toughness. I'd love to see how the Irish reacted if they actually did have to play against Brown or Arch - neither of those two would put up with your cheap shot bull******** and they'd take half your goddamn team down.

thats ignoring the fact that the footskills of most allblacks wouldn't compete with your average afl player - let alone all Oz reps.
Archer, J Brown, C Brown, Hall, Gehrig, Pickett, Guerra, Neitz, Fevola, ....now this is the start of a good tough team that could take on almost anyone in world sports!!!

An Irishman wanted to become an Englishman, so he visited a doctor to find out how to go about this. "Well" said the doctor, "this is a very delicate operation and there is a lot that can go wrong. I will have to remove half your brain". "That's OK" said the Irishman. "I've always wanted to be English and I'm prepared to take the risk".

The operation went ahead but the Irishman woke to find a look of horror on the face of the doctor. "I'm so terribly sorry!!" the doctor said. "Instead of removing half the brain, I've taken the whole brain out". The patient replied, "No worries, mate!!"
wow that was stupid, even though it was a joke, it was still not very well thought through.

Archer, J Brown, C Brown, Hall, Gehrig, Pickett, Guerra, Neitz, Fevola, ....now this is the start of a good tough team that could take on almost anyone in world sports!!!
Most Australian rugby league teams would tear them apart let alone a US gridiron team, a European water polo or a Canadian ice hockey team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most Australian rugby league teams would tear them apart let alone a US gridiron team, a European water polo or a Canadian ice hockey team.

you really are a ********ing tool.

are you talking about a fight or sport? Us gridiron players? dont make me laugh, get rid of their padding and inflated bank balences and they're nothing. Ice hockey? inflated egos and padding, nothing more.

are you talking about a fight or sport? Us gridiron players? dont make me laugh, get rid of their padding and inflated bank balences and they're nothing. Ice hockey? inflated egos and padding, nothing more.

Thank god you know more about sport than the other guy...

I wonder if he's ever seen a gridiron player without his padding on. They're either fat ot stick thin. Why do you think they wear the padding? 'cause they're soft as ********, is why. Yeah, if I was padded up to the brim I could smash those pricks all day too. Try doing it all day without the padding, it's a lot tougher...

Thank god you know more about sport than the other guy...

I wonder if he's ever seen a gridiron player without his padding on. They're either fat ot stick thin. Why do you think they wear the padding? 'cause they're soft as ********, is why. Yeah, if I was padded up to the brim I could smash those pricks all day too. Try doing it all day without the padding, it's a lot tougher...
A few minutes googling would reveal to you and Sanguinarius that the 300 lb (that’s 136 kg) gridiron player who can run evens is no myth. The padding isn’t because these blokes are soft, it’s because its needed. Getting hit by a 136 kilo monster travelling at the speed of olympic sprinters would kill (and has) a person without substantial protection. These blokes are fully paid professionals earning multiples of what Australian footballers earn. They are not fat, pampered weaklings. High school linemen routinely tip the scales at more than 300 pounds. For starters, have a look at
[/SIZE][URL="http://www.bodybuildin...building.com/fun/schultz59.htm[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...g27,0,4999531.story?coll=la-sunday-commentary

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081605aae.html

A few minutes googling would reveal to you and Sanguinarius that the 300 lb (that’s 136 kg) gridiron player who can run evens is no myth. The padding isn’t because these blokes are soft, it’s because its needed. Getting hit by a 136 kilo monster travelling at the speed of olympic sprinters would kill (and has) a person without substantial protection. These blokes are fully paid professionals earning multiples of what Australian footballers earn. They are not fat, pampered weaklings. High school linemen routinely tip the scales at more than 300 pounds. For starters, have a look at
[/SIZE][URL="http://www.bodybuildin...building.com/fun/schultz59.htm[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...g27,0,4999531.story?coll=la-sunday-commentary

There was a thread on this once and unfortunately some on BF still think that the padding = soft. AFL is a contact sport where NFL is a collision sport! When was the last time there was a quadraplegic or serious spinal injury in AFL, 70's i think from memory? NFL it happens most years!

...i am guessing that you have never left your cosy haunt in South Australia to travel the world and meet these people face to face by the fact you are speaking totally out of your @rse:rolleyes:

Sanguinarius, you have made a complete tool out of yourself!!!!

...and learn to spell balance:p

and to think a skinny little 19 yr old took out the hard man of Irish football ...the sight of those NFL blokes must make you practically soil your panties .

There was a thread on this once and unfortunately some on BF still think that the padding = soft. AFL is a contact sport where NFL is a collision sport! When was the last time there was a quadraplegic or serious spinal injury in AFL, 70's i think from memory? NFL it happens most years!
Neil Sachse, Footscray. My guess is that Sanguinarius and his mate are school aged and are still learning. If that's the case and they do learn, then they can be forgiven.

Neil Sachse, Footscray. My guess is that Sanguinarius and his mate are school aged and are still learning. If that's the case and they do learn, then they can be forgiven.

I think you might find that the most recent serious spinal injury was to Blake Caracella this year.

The NFL regularly has spinal injuries the most recent potentially career threatening one was only last week.

Not sure what this discussion is meant to achieve - the 300-400 pound lineman are not all super quick and most of them cant run more than 20 meters without blowing up - they also have minimal skills.

Different game, different physical requirements and of course anyone would be somewhat fearful of a 140 -160kg bloke running at them but this dosent change anything in the current debate.

The Irish are still sooks and a good number of them are still soft and guilty of off the ball cheap shots.

D Mitchell remains a smartsrse.

So nothing has changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish media is one thing, what about the Irish people?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back