Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Technically there is some truth to this.

Will be interesting what others think? Its been discussed before.

Deadlifts with proper form and technique are great. However, this exercise is the most unforgiving, if you get it wrong, you will really screw your lower back.

World's strongest man (for deadlifts) in an interview with Joe Rogan, mentioned the risk to reward ratio for deadlifts is not worth it.

In fact many professional athletes in football etc etc, wont do deadlifts for the risk involved.

There are a number of 'safe' ways to deadlift.

Done correctly, it is by far the most beneficial exercise for the body.

Yeh id disagree with the second statement, numerous more beneficial exercises especially depending on the level of fitness.

Interesting debate, my understanding is that the most beneficial exercise for the body is the squat. I was always under the impression it was king of all exercises.

The problem with the deadlift is that there is a number of things that can go wrong from a technique perspective, which when you combine with heavy weight is a recipe for disaster in terms of ramifications for your back health and maybe not today but in years to come. I agree with the advice that the world's strongest man Oberst gave to Rogan in his podcast.

With that said, I still do a variation of the traditional deadlift, ie Romanian Deadlift and I aim always anywhere between 8-10 reps. Its the only exercise that I dont concern myself with doing a 1RPM, as the fallout can be disastrous if your off. It is unnecessary and if anything old bodybuilders are proof of what happens when you "think youre doing it safely" only to need multiple back surgeries later in life.

I deadlift light focus on time under tension and form.

Ultimately any exercise where you overlift is going to do damage, deads can just do way worse/more damage.
Same.

If I cant perform more than 8 reps for the deadlift I wont put the weight up. The test of when I do go up in weight, is when I can comfortably do 10 reps.

Safety first is the main priority, but especially for this compound movement.

Someone spoke to me today. :mad:

Before you campaigners roll your eyes at me and ask me what brand of 'roids I take, I was pissed off because I was spoken to mid set.:$

For the record, I really dont care if someone talks, asks, needs me if an anything I welcome it, but surely there is a time and place. Not mid set.

Before you campaigners roll your eyes at me and ask me what brand of 'roids I take, I was pissed off because I was spoken to mid set.:$

For the record, I really dont care if someone talks, asks, needs me if an anything I welcome it, but surely there is a time and place. Not mid set.
Brand of roids?

What'd they say to you?

What'd they say to you?

Doesnt matter, they spoke to me. lol. No just joking.

Actually Im interested in your opinion and others here.

The PT asked me to move out of the way as I was near a machine. The machine in question was the hamstring curl. I was about 1.5m behind it and the client was even able to place his towel on it and also get on it.

Its not like the entire machine moves and there was absolutely zero chance he could have made contact with me when he was on it and using it. So I was a bit shitty and confused.

It was only later on, I figured that PT asked me to move so he could see his client using it and critique it from behind, as opposed to me impeding someone using the equipment. Even this I dont have a problem with and is totally fine and I would have been happy to do it. What f**ked me off is really disturbing me midset and dont forget, I have big arse headphones. So I actually had to physically stop my set, place the weights down and take my headphones off to hear what he had to say.

Funnily enough a situation presented itself later in my workout when a guy was doing trap shrugs where all the dumbbells were placed. I had no issue waiting 30s, if anything it allowed me to rest and to get ready to do another exercise.

Doesnt matter, they spoke to me. lol. No just joking.

Actually Im interested in your opinion and others here.

The PT asked me to move out of the way as I was near a machine. The machine in question was the hamstring curl. I was about 1.5m behind it and the client was even able to place his towel on it and also get on it.

Its not like the entire machine moves and there was absolutely zero chance he could have made contact with me when he was on it and using it. So I was a bit shitty and confused.

It was only later on, I figured that PT asked me to move so he could see his client using it and critique it from behind, as opposed to me impeding someone using the equipment. Even this I dont have a problem with and is totally fine and I would have been happy to do it. What f**ked me off is really disturbing me midset and dont forget, I have big arse headphones. So I actually had to physically stop my set, place the weights down and take my headphones off to hear what he had to say.

Funnily enough a situation presented itself later in my workout when a guy was doing trap shrugs where all the dumbbells were placed. I had no issue waiting 30s, if anything it allowed me to rest and to get ready to do another exercise.
Shithouse form by the PT, you don't tell a guy to jog on midset

Gym PTs really don't care sometimes about etiquette, think they own the joint

PTs should belong in studios imo or work off peak

Also lol, why is he training someone on a hammy curl machine? Unless they're training a bodybuilder and making them do dropsets, there are plenty of other exercises that work the hamstrings, get them using dumbbells or kettlebells or something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shithouse form by the PT, you don't tell a guy to jog on midset

Gym PTs really don't care sometimes about etiquette, think they own the joint

PTs should belong in studios imo or work off peak

Also lol, why is he training someone on a hammy curl machine? Unless they're training a bodybuilder and making them do dropsets, there are plenty of other exercises that work the hamstrings, get them using dumbbells or kettlebells or something
Thanks mate. :thumbsu:

Just wanted to get a different perspective here.

Dont get me started lol. :DThe gym was basically empty too and he was doing random exercises with his client, this exacerbated me being f**ked off as I couldnt understand why he did ham curls when he later did back and then chest. They guy was a newbie too. Whats funny is that the client was doing the curls wrong and I have noticed with the ham curls the PT doesnt instruct correctly how to do them. I should have corrected the PT in front of the client, would have been funny.

Its the midset issue that peeved me off the most, yes youre right its shithouse. TBH if it was another person at the gym, I wouldnt have been f**ked off as some may or may not appreciate or understand etiquette.

Ive seen PT's use three different machines at once, using their clipboard as a "guard" for one of them. FMD.

Gym PTs ******* suck.

Always seem to be setting up 20 station circuits for their clients at peak times and just tell the rest of the gym goers to piss off.

They deserve their own special circle in hell.
+1

Thats not to say they all like this, some are ok.

However, a lot are not.

I wont allow a PT to lock down 3 machines if I need to use it. As I mentioned earlier, this PT used her clipboard to "hold" down one area. I didnt even ask, I just sat on the back row machine and used it.

Here is the heads up, my workout is just as valuable as anybody else's.

The "smart" ones start locking down an area before their client arrives, this can be problematic.

I have seen one use two machines and a free weights as third part of the circuit.

I only speak to people who are standing around between sets and don't have headphones.

Speaking of chatting and in relation to a discussion earlier in this thread, this guy at the gym got a bit off a "rude" rejection today, as he went to hug a girl in between sets, she told him out loud in front of everyone, that she didnt want to hug him as she was sweating. I could hear that with my big arse headphones on but no music playing lol.

I think the poor guy wanted to dive into a hole after that.

Now in fairness to him, he has hugged her before in the past, but in this environment we live in, he should have known better. A friend is one thing, a gym goer is another.

Thanks mate. :thumbsu:

Just wanted to get a different perspective here.

Dont get me started lol. :DThe gym was basically empty too and he was doing random exercises with his client, this exacerbated me being f**ked off as I couldnt understand why he did ham curls when he later did back and then chest. They guy was a newbie too. Whats funny is that the client was doing the curls wrong and I have noticed with the ham curls the PT doesnt instruct correctly how to do them. I should have corrected the PT in front of the client, would have been funny.

Its the midset issue that peeved me off the most, yes youre right its shithouse. TBH if it was another person at the gym, I wouldnt have been f**ked off as some may or may not appreciate or understand etiquette.

Ive seen PT's use three different machines at once, using their clipboard as a "guard" for one of them. FMD.
Some PTs have no clue, those stupid 8 week courses man, gyms hire dudes cos they're buff or because they can market themselves and bullshit their way up (I did 1 of them years ago and even then I would be humble and try and look at ways of helping a client, but I'd always build around compounds, particularly for beginners)

If your client is training full body you 100% only do compounds and if you have time at the end then do some superset isolation stuff. That client should've been squatting, deadlifting, lunging, hip thrusting etc, if they have to go on a machine then they're on the leg press or hack squatting or something, if they need to build up their glutes and hammies the PT 100% should be doing deadlift or lunge variations with them then build their way up to a good morning.

Gym PTs ******* suck.

Always seem to be setting up 20 station circuits for their clients at peak times and just tell the rest of the gym goers to piss off.

They deserve their own special circle in hell.
Yeah PTs are not for me. Looking back over these 3 sessions I recently had, I dont like the "focus" on me, 100%.

I can see I really enjoyed group sessions tho. When my work provided them for the entire year, after school group sesh training. Was alot of fun and more of a relaxed vibe.

Yeah PTs are not for me. Looking back over these 3 sessions I recently had, I dont like the "focus" on me, 100%.

I can see I really enjoyed group sessions tho. When my work provided them for the entire year, after school group sesh training. Was alot of fun and more of a relaxed vibe.
“Most” people I know who use a PT do it for accountability. The “if I paid for it I don’t wanna waste it” which is completely fine, aside from high level athletes refining stuff most PTs don’t do much beyond the accountability stuff. Personally think your much better off coming up with a more intirinisc motivator. I prefer working out solo by so much it’s not funny but group stuff can be fun too!

“Most” people I know who use a PT do it for accountability. The “if I paid for it I don’t wanna waste it” which is completely fine, aside from high level athletes refining stuff most PTs don’t do much beyond the accountability stuff. Personally think your much better off coming up with a more intirinisc motivator. I prefer working out solo by so much it’s not funny but group stuff can be fun too!

Same. That reflects too re. sport- in that I've never been a massive fan of playing team sports.
Enjoy a (solo) hit of tennis and that's about it.

I think regarding those group sessions too- I reckon it's because I knew these ppl as they were my workmates. I doubt I'd be as enthusiastic doing some boot camp style classes with a bunch of randoms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back