Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear Diary, Day 4 and I was tested to my limits and I took it personally today.

Just 4 of us at the gym at 6am, myself, another guy and the PT with a client.

AC was at 16 when I arrived and tbh after a few days of conditioning myself to this guerilla warfare, the PT took it a step further and had cranked it to 12 when her client was doing some f**king ret**ded circuit, while you dont wish for an accident, I was quietly anticipating one. I wanted to send out SOS messages to this thread, but decided to maintain focus.

Now at this stage, I seriously contemplated of putting on my heavy jacket and make a statement. Then I decided that would make her feel like she had a win, instead I motored along and after a while I get into a zone while training as I had basically the gym to myself and totally forget about the AC.

If anything it inspired me and after 4 days, I actually think I have acclimatized myself to the AC on now, bring it on. lol. :D

Now in fairness you may say well whats the weather like in Adelaide? I can tell you we have had the worst weather in the last 12 hours for maybe a year or two, its been driving rain all through the night and when I got to the gym, it was bitterly cold too outside.

Dear Diary, Day 4 and I was tested to my limits and I took it personally today.

Just 4 of us at the gym at 6am, myself, another guy and the PT with a client.

AC was at 16 when I arrived and tbh after a few days of conditioning myself to this guerilla warfare, the PT took it a step further and had cranked it to 12 when her client was doing some f**king ret**ded circuit, while you dont wish for an accident, I was quietly anticipating one. I wanted to send out SOS messages to this thread, but decided to maintain focus.

Now at this stage, I seriously contemplated of putting on my heavy jacket and make a statement. Then I decided that would make her feel like she had a win, instead I motored along and after a while I get into a zone while training as I had basically the gym to myself and totally forget about the AC.

If anything it inspired me and after 4 days, I actually think I have acclimatized myself to the AC on now, bring it on. lol. :D

Now in fairness you may say well whats the weather like in Adelaide? I can tell you we have had the worst weather in the last 12 hours for maybe a year or two, its been driving rain all through the night and when I got to the gym, it was bitterly cold too outside.

What is it about middle-aged women and wanting the air conditioning on Arctic conditions? I need to wear a jacket in my staffroom when it's 30° outside.

I think I’ve mentioned this before somewhere else but one of my consultants did a study (as part of their engineering brief for office fitout works) and found that men and women generally have different comfort points in office settings (from memory women preferred it cooler and men generally preferred it closer to ambient).

Anyway one job had multiple daily fault logs regarding the temp and air balancing. Client approved us putting in a fake thermostat (looked the part but wasn’t connected to the building bms) never got another fault log.

Genius.

What is it about middle-aged women and wanting the air conditioning on Arctic conditions? I need to wear a jacket in my staffroom when it's 30° outside.
If I get the gym before the PT, I will turn on the AC. Thats how much I have turned, lol.

I mean its going on, no matter what, so I might as well acclimatize to the conditions straight away.

I got back on the pushy for the morning commute for the first time since the Achilles rupture today! Was much, much more enjoyable than the ******* train.
Is the rupture as 12 month injury?

Geez I really underestimate how devastating it would be to incur an injury like that. I admire your strength and courage, because for me, it would break me mentally and psychologically. Then again I think I have improved in that area with weights in the last 12months. Weight training really does wonders for your body, not just the physical aspect.

In terms of injury prevention, for starters I never go searching for 1 rep max's. I progressive overload, when I can do more reps at a lower weight, before going up weight. Almost never ever ego lift. I sometimes go searching for more weight with the bench press and add 1.25kg and then tell myself, settle down tiger, dont be a campaigner, no one is here to really care you can lift that extra amount to begin with.

I think I’ve mentioned this before somewhere else but one of my consultants did a study (as part of their engineering brief for office fitout works) and found that men and women generally have different comfort points in office settings (from memory women preferred it cooler and men generally preferred it closer to ambient).

Anyway one job had multiple daily fault logs regarding the temp and air balancing. Client approved us putting in a fake thermostat (looked the part but wasn’t connected to the building bms) never got another fault log.

Genius.
That's interesting, in my experience women want it set warmer & men cooler or ambient. We had a worksafe complaint at one point because one nutter lady (who was only a temp) kept complaining it was too cold, meanwhile all the blokes were in polos and she came in wearing gloves/beanie/etc.

I know at home my partner is always complaining about the cold and I tell her to put more clothes on instead of turning heating on or up. mates all say their partners are the same

Is the rupture as 12 month injury?

Geez I really underestimate how devastating it would be to incur an injury like that. I admire your strength and courage, because for me, it would break me mentally and psychologically. Then again I think I have improved in that area with weights in the last 12months. Weight training really does wonders for your body, not just the physical aspect.

In terms of injury prevention, for starters I never go searching for 1 rep max's. I progressive overload, when I can do more reps at a lower weight, before going up weight. Almost never ever ego lift. I sometimes go searching for more weight with the bench press and add 1.25kg and then tell myself, settle down tiger, dont be a campaigner, no one is here to really care you can lift that extra amount to begin with.
It will be longer because of the severity or mine, decent chance it never gets full ROM back but it is generally 12 months to get back to normal, if youre in shape it will be a bit longer to get back to your conditioning (i have only started running and riding in the last month so thats 6 months of conditioning lost and the focus will be on conditioning the tendon and muscles not the cardio).

Ive had one other pretty substantial injury (6 months plus rehabbing) in my life and theyre certainly not fun. I was pretty gutted when i did this one but trying to focus on disciplined rehab and recovery and just ticking off minor milestones has been really helpful.
That's interesting, in my experience women want it set warmer & men cooler or ambient. We had a worksafe complaint at one point because one nutter lady (who was only a temp) kept complaining it was too cold, meanwhile all the blokes were in polos and she came in wearing gloves/beanie/etc.

I know at home my partner is always complaining about the cold and I tell her to put more clothes on instead of turning heating on or up. mates all say their partners are the same
There were a bunch of caveats on it (older women feel the cold more, pregnant women have a much higher body temperature and thus want it colder).

In general they found that men wanted it closer to whatever the temp outside was (eg if the range of temp control is 18-24 and its the middle of winter theyd prefer it to be 18-20 and alternately in summer wanted it 22-24) whereas women wanted it vastly different to outside temperature (eg middle of winter they wanted 22-24 and middle of summer 18-20).

Ultimately the issue they found was that because men and women want totally different things from the climate of the office there was no way to satisfy everyone.

Ive had one other pretty substantial injury (6 months plus rehabbing) in my life and theyre certainly not fun. I was pretty gutted when i did this one but trying to focus on disciplined rehab and recovery and just ticking off minor milestones has been really helpful.
Do you think your previous injury actually held you in good stead to recover from your Achilles?

I totally forgot that yes when I injured my back, I couldnt do squats or deadlifts. I mean lets face it, its leg exercises, so you dont really miss them as much, (of course now I would). So I was doing just doing leg machines for a solid 6 months.

Do you think your previous injury actually held you in good stead to recover from your Achilles?

I totally forgot that yes when I injured my back, I couldnt do squats or deadlifts. I mean lets face it, its leg exercises, so you dont really miss them as much, (of course now I would). So I was doing just doing leg machines for a solid 6 months.
I think a combo of that and just being very disciplined in nature (my physio was stunned im actually doing all the at home stuff plus more including the dull recovery self massage etc etc. most people dont).

My motivation was completely different, my last serious injury was at 21 and i wanted to get back to playing footy asap, probably pushed a bit too hard in hindsight and had issues with other things as a result. This time i told the physio i wanted to be back walking as soon as possible so i could follow my newborn son around and carry him, beyond that everything else will come back as it comes back. I was back in the gym a week after surgery in the moonboot doing modified stuff too.

Feeling bloated at gym sucks

However I think I've found one of the reasons why

I seem not to digest things like freshly baked/roasted chicken marinated in olive oil quick enough, so I'll have my preworkout meal like 2-2.5 hours before I train, let it go down with a bit of water, take a customary dump before gym, down whatever preworkout I use that day then head off, boy I've felt like crap twice the last 2 weeks, however I at least put 2 and 2 together yesterday, seems the oils from food and water just don't go down too well with me.

Seems that fresh marinated chicken can either only be a post workout meal, or if I've cooked in bulk and reheat it then alot of oils/fats come out particularly when I microwave it, so it's ok then

Probably should revert back to eggs on toast or something though, never had problems with that as a preworkout meal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feeling bloated at gym sucks

However I think I've found one of the reasons why

I seem not to digest things like freshly baked/roasted chicken marinated in olive oil quick enough,
How much chicken are you eating before a workout? Could that be an issue? Maybe half the portion size first? before abandoning it. Eggs on toast, the best IMO before a workout. If your going to want to eat something.

My meals before a workout are generally just a shake, mind you far easier when you go first thing in the morning.

How much chicken are you eating before a workout? Could that be an issue? Maybe half the portion size first? before abandoning it. Eggs on toast, the best IMO before a workout. If your going to want to eat something.

My meals before a workout are generally just a shake, mind you far easier when you go first thing in the morning.
200-300g

Only had like 2 drumsticks and 3 tenderloins, would be lucky to hit 225 from that, would've had more 2 weeks ago though as I had it for tea then tried to train at 9pm (had to go home to empty out and went back at 10)

200-300g

Only had like 2 drumsticks and 3 tenderloins, would be lucky to hit 225 from that, would've had more 2 weeks ago though as I had it for tea then tried to train at 9pm (had to go home to empty out and went back at 10)
Yeah there is no way I could eat that and jump into a workout after even a couple of hours.

The only other idea I would have, is trying having the meal an hour earlier that what you are doing currently. So it would 3-3.5hrs before you train.:think:

I do have sensitive GI issues too, so as a result, I down a Metamucil a few hours before bed. Works well to clean your gut up. :$

That's interesting, in my experience women want it set warmer & men cooler or ambient.

Yep that's what it's like at my work. I share an office with all women and I have a desk fan connected to my computer because they like it warmer than I find comfortable.

Yep that's what it's like at my work. I share an office with all women and I have a desk fan connected to my computer because they like it warmer than I find comfortable.
Ditto, one of those tiny USB plug in things works for me

Yeah there is no way I could eat that and jump into a workout after even a couple of hours.

The only other idea I would have, is trying having the meal an hour earlier that what you are doing currently. So it would 3-3.5hrs before you train.:think:

I do have sensitive GI issues too, so as a result, I down a Metamucil a few hours before bed. Works well to clean your gut up. :$
I'm probably bigger than everyone here in this fred though, normally hit anywhere from 2400-3000 calories a day (had a 3400 carb load yesterday though, really good macro numbers but, 290g protein, 403g carbs, 74g fat, fat could've been slightly more but that's what Cronometer came up with)

Last day of the month and I finally seen seen a couple of young blokes using the squat rack. Maybe being 6am instead of the arvo was the difference.

Actually got some nice courtesy, someone seen me holding a 20kg plate looking for a 2nd and came across to hand me another one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back