Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year we blew it no doubt. We beat Richmond and looked good doing it but let Geelong bully us.

2019 we still finished top 4. And we still have one of the youngest squads. Hardly doom and gloom.

Totally agree plenty of upside, but 2 years in a row blew double chances and home finals facts a there.

Despite losing I think we've come out of last night looking better than we came in but this week is a must win.

Worry for me is our bottom 6 players, 6 players last night with <10 games, that's not the list of a premiership winning side. We are carrying a few passengers.

Last edited:
To put it in perspective, they've had one upset loss, Geelong in Geelong was probably always marked as a likely loss. If the upset came in round 3 no one cares, they just happened to drop a game that all sides will do the same at some point.

That being said, blind Freddy could see they blew the best ever chance they'd ever get last year. A season and finals played at home against a bunch of hubbed teams. This year was always going to be more challenging as they are further tested with travel, other teams back to normal life, and they might even have more injuries.

They're still one of the top contenders though, you can start slow and win it, but rarely finish slow and win it.

Brisbane has a young core and is competing with teams that have a more mature and experienced core like Geelong, Richmond, West Coast and even Port Adelaide. When Richmond had a young core in 2013-2015, we kept losing out to the more experienced Geelong, Sydney, Fremantle and Hawthorn as well in terms of finals progression. Therefore, they should be fine in the long run when their core becomes older and more experienced in my opinion. Well, as long as the band stay together that is.

They weren’t the best top 2 side in the past 2 years, but I don’t know about the worst. Geelong 2016-2017 were a fairly average-performing top 2 team when it came to finals to name a team.

They definitely benefited from the Queensland hub in 2020, their core is young and promising and they are held up by a couple of really, really good core players, but their lower half of their list are mediocre (at this stage)

still a really talented team though

Just a typical idiotic thread. Finished equal first H&A 2 years in a row and made a prelim 3 games a go. Started by the same mouth breathers time again.

Showed a lot of grit and resolve last night, one of the hallmarks of a good side. Could have packed it in, but kept fighting. Certainly got a solid rub of the green with the umps for three quarters, but then of course, when it truly mattered, the weak-minded maggots in green were turned by the feral local crowd and fought tooth and nail to get the cats over the line.

I think they're a really good side and should finish in the 3-5 range.

Upset in R1 then a 1pt loss at the Cattery (which is pretty good considering the home prelim loss last year). Sure, they'd be nervous going into R3, as 0-3 would be rough to contend from, but it is far from alarm bells yet, still a really good side and probably due for a slower start anyway.

I don't see how the game in Brisbane on Thursday can go ahead if the city is on high alert for the virus. Also, don't understand how an exemption was made for the 22 people from Brisbane breathing and swearing over people last night.

No. Their best 22 is in their prime, and they have an even spread of experience.

BrisbaneGamesSydney
6Less than 5010
650 to 992
5100 to 1495
5150 or more5

Disagree with that. We had a lot of our young players get lots of games early in their careers under Leppa & Fagan. Games played doesn't necessarily equate to prime years. The only players in their 'prime' I'd say would be Neale & Lyons. Zorko, Robinson, Rich, & Birchall are all past their best. The rest of the best 22 have yet to hit their prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Brisbane 'Melbourne' it and collapse back into irrelevance. Pretty pathetic performance at home against a team notorious for choking.

Wowee that's a bit harsh.

We’ll get accused of “cocky arrogance” next. It’s the last desperate gasp of the sh*t talker who has nothing left to stand on.

C'mon, there are 30+ pages here and we have the right to respond to at least 1 or 2 ? Not allowed is it ?

I'm still getting over the fact of how clubs were struggling in QLD resort hubs through last year and trying to compare us being turned away from airport this year. We have been flown out again in short notice to Victoria, sleeping in hotel rooms while all those Vic clubs are in the comfort of their homes. We are even having to do fly-in fly-out to Adelaide yesterday. Almost looks like AFL conspiracy trying to stop us from winning ! (there I said it !!)

Pretty diabolical in my view, this may be the super duper greatest ever premiership if we win it I reckon ;)

Last edited:
When Richmond were stumbling in 2012-2016, I felt that our group of players would get a Premiership along the way. I have that same feeling about Brisbane. They’re not good enough right now because they are a young group. They still have a lot of lessons to learn. If they stay together as a group, then they’re heading towards the right direction in my opinion.

I'll come back to this Nostradamus opinion depending on how we go on finals this year.

You sir are pretty good in picking odds, tipping my hat to you. Good call so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back