Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
No, the astute judges will look at another damning statistic.

Since 2020, this club has, at least twice, gone three quarters kicking just a single goal.

Is that relevant enough for you?

You guys are the kings of irrelevant and selective stats - a Coaching selection panel would laugh at that stat. It’s as laughable as using a 2 game sample to prove excellence.
Lift your game sport.

We're just a club that refuses to lay the honest groundwork for future success.. we don't want to employ Clarko over Buckley if they were both looking for their first jobs as seniors.. because it's unfashionable to do so.. a club that refuses to get off their high horse.. a club that will never lower their standards in the public eye because there's a price to pay.. we will no longer be viewed as the allmighty Collingwood FC club cause we've employed supposedly some shit kicker over Buckley..

Great trade off.. apparently.

Going really well.

When are we ever going to relinquish the leviathan status and quit smoking the best Cuban's like we're hot shots.. and start working hard ffs.

Last edited:

You guys are the kings of irrelevant and selective stats - a Coaching selection panel would laugh at that stat. It’s as laughable as using a 2 game sample to prove excellence.
Lift your game sport.
what's laughable are your posts claiming to have proved this and that, debunked this and that etc

you have never proved a thing - just keep repeating the same old stuff, claiming it's "proof" etc

check out the team's performance - it's sub-standard by any measure

right now:

1621123529254.png

Last edited:
what's laughable are your posts claiming to have proved this and that, debunked this and that etc

you have never proved a thing - just keep repeating the same old stuff, claiming it's "proof" etc

right now:

View attachment 1128905

i just repeat the facts that are relevant, they are the only stats that matter.

Trying to use selective stats like the above, as proof that Buckley can’t Coach, unfortunately allows the logical extension he’s a better Coach than Clarko based on your own data.
That’s how pointless and irrelevant those stats are.

So again you guys are exposed for your clearly lack of insight or clear thinking on this issue.
Very sad really.

i just repeat the facts that are relevant, they are the only stats that matter.

Trying to use selective stats like the above, as proof that Buckley can’t Coach, unfortunately allows the logical extension he’s a better Coach than Clarko based on your own data.
That’s how pointless and irrelevant those stats are.

what is selective about our ladder position?

please; your posts are going from "comedic" to "irrelevant" to "unfathomable" to "out there" to "off the planet"

where to next?

right now:

View attachment 1128905
Why do you think that is?

why are we 16th on the ladder?

ans = not winning games

why not winning?

skill, game plan, player depth (hello drafting, list mngt etc), coaching - inc head coach + assistants etc etc
We have a below standard team at the moment. We’d be getting the same results with any coach.

what is selective about our ladder position?

please; your posts are going from "comedic" to "irrelevant" to "unfathomable" to "out there" to "off the planet"

where to next?

How can anyone take your data seriously when it shows Clarko is a worse Coach than Buckley.
You are right - comedic, irrelevant and laughable, out there, off the planet are all apt descriptions of your conclusions based on that data.

How can anyone take your data seriously when it shows Clarko is a worse Coach than Buckley. You are right - comedic, irrelevant and laughable, out there, off the planet are all apt descriptions of your conclusions based on that data.

4 flag Clarko vs no flag Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The “each year he’s gone backwards bar one, argument” it’s been debunked by me endlessly and I don’t need to do it again.
Except to say when you climb from 13th to 2nd in a single season you knock out a lot of ladder positions.
I’m not going to subscribe to the naive view that a steadier climb, which would have improved your metric, would have proven Buckley is a better Coach.
That logic is 50 shades of dumb.

The climb from 13th to 2nd and staying competitive is what astute judges look at.
You haven’t debunked anything, not even close. You really do have a severely overinflated opinion of your own self-importance.

Here are the irrefutable, undeniable, un-spinnable facts:

Fact #1

After Home & Away Games

2012 – 4th & 16 wins, down from 1st & 20 wins the previous season

2013 – 6th & 14 wins, down from 4th & 16 wins the previous season

2014 – 11th & 11 wins, down from 6th & 14 wins the previous season

2015 – 12th & 10 wins, down from 11th & 11 wins the previous season

2016 – 12th & 9 wins, down from 12th & 10 wins the previous season

2017 – 13th & 9 wins, down from 12th & 9 wins the previous season

2018 – 3rd & 15 wins, up from 13th & 9 wins the previous season (finally!!)

2019 – 4th & 15 wins, down from 3rd & 15 wins the previous season

2020 – 8th & 9 wins, down from 4th & 15 wins the previous season (Covid affected)

2021 – well, we all know where that is going to end.

Fact #2

Buckley has now coached 214 games for 0 Flags – That is the 11th most games coached in VFL/AFL history without ever winning a flag. If he somehow survives until the end of the season, he will be 8th on that illustrious list – he will be 2nd for most games coached at one club without ever winning a flag.

I imagine after he is gone, and we have all been put out of our misery, you’ll still be forlornly trying to spin the irrefutable, undeniable, un-spinnable facts in an attempt to change history, and failing miserably again like you have so far.

But by all means keep trying, this is fun.

Think you missed the point.
ok - does today's ladder make Buckley look better than Clarkson...??

does today's ladder reflect where Cwood sit? - Yes - because what other measure is there?

has Clarkson racked up more success than Buckley? - the stats will tell you.

You haven’t debunked anything, not even close. You really do have a severely overinflated opinion of your own self-importance.

Fact #1[/B]

After Home & Away Games

2020 – 8th & 9 wins, down from 4th & 15 wins the previous season (Covid affected)

Fact #2[/B]

Buckley has now coached 214 games for 0 Flags – That is the 11th most games coached in VFL/AFL history without ever winning a flag. If he somehow survives until the end of the season, he will be 8th on that illustrious list – he will be 2nd for most games coached at one club without ever winning a flag.

I imagine after he is gone, and we have all been put out of our misery, you’ll still be forlornly trying to spin the irrefutable, undeniable, un-spinnable facts in an attempt to change history, and failing miserably again like you have so far.

and exhausting - why do I do this to myself? :(

Maybe you can point out these obscure points so that I can clarify them for you.
I admire your persistence - it can be an admirable trait

I'll pass on your kind offer of more "clarification".

cheers

Fact #1

After Home & Away Games

Fact #2

Fact 1 - is irrelevant because in one year we climbed from 13 th to 2nd and stayed in the 8.
So by offering this evidence you are simply saying a slower climb up the ladder (that would have improved your metric ) is the sign of a better Coach - no ones buying that argument.

Fact 2 - so what?
How does that prove Buckley can’t Coach, or capable of winning a flag, given his excellent record in that last 3 season and Coach of the Year award.

Doc - as I told you last night I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

ie - I can see the need for change but will not fall for the BS offered, that Buckley can’t Coach, based on irrelevant data like that offered above.

If you offered that to a potential Coaching selection panel - they would laugh you out of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back