Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Are they the same astute people who botched the salary cap?
Are they the same astute people who gave a ruckman 7 mill over 7 years?
Are they the same astute people who gave up 2 first rounders for an ageing Beams?
Are they the same astute people who gave Wells far too much for too many years?
Are they the same astute people who see us paying 300k a year for a player who wanted to stay with us play at another club?
Are they the same astute people who gave a guy who was banned for gambling a contract extension on big coin only to then march him out the door?
Are they the same astute people who see us in a position where we have nothing to show for our last 8 first round picks.

The problem is Spinny the peoplw who's opinions count aren't astute.
That's why we are in this mess.

GW was not part of the decisions you’re taking about and he and other Clubs looking for Coaches would laugh at the ridiculous arguments used here to discredit Buckley’s Coaching record.

If he had won two flags in his first two years and done nothing since you would be using his early success to argue for his re-instatement as coach. Talk about vacuous arguments.

Actually that is the argument of the critics - the same people who would be silent if the GF 2018 had finished 2 minutes earlier.
And I think you to, fit in that group I suspect.

And whose fault is that? There are a number of incompetency's responsible for where we shouldn't be. Hint - the club.
I place the blame firmly and squarely on the list management and recruitment (specifically trading more than drafting) departments, it's their responsibility. They made the wrong call constantly topping up to win that flag, every salary cap blunder came from that! and the dearth of players at the moment is because instead of letting Hine find value at the draft we threw those picks and gobs of dollars at aging injury riddled players in the hope they'd tip 2018/19 our way. It was the wrong call on so many levels, Hine is a master of picking up quality with later picks so we were robbed of youth coming through and his odd instant hit that may have actually tipped 2018/19 our way (WA umpires not paying a block they pay every week notwithstanding)

It didn't though did it?
No it didn't, it took a WA umpire not paying a free kick he paid the very next week in some suburban game to stop us and Buckley from having that flag

Oh and you know the 8 wasted 1st rounders that might have got us across the line as well

GW was not part of the decisions you’re taking about and he and other Clubs looking for Coaches would laugh at the ridiculous argument used here to discredit Buckley’s Coaching record.
Did I mention anything about Buckley?
I was just pointing out that the people running our club may not be as astute as you think.
Just because someone gets a senior position doesn't mean that they are good.
I'm looking forward to seeing what GW has to offer.
I hear good things, but then again when I joined this board the catch phrase was "In Hine we trust."
That didn't age well.

I love the way that anything anyone else says is "ridiculous" or "stupid" or "nonsense", but anything you have to say is "obviously true", "stupid to think otherwise" etc.

Nearly every one of your posts contains a statement like that.
As once again you did in this post.

Here we go!!!!
Resorted to that tripe because your ridiculous, baseless defence of his record has been called out for what it is, abject failure.
And you're frustrated because you can't spin it any other way.

mate - you’ve never laid a glove on any of my arguments, because they’re based on facts not emotion.

I never get frustrated, just amused with some the inane stuff the critics come up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flat earther.
Well as Einstein argued it's all relative to your position in spacetime, from our perspective it's flat, go a little higher and it isn't

In this case you want to blame the guy that 'didn't' blow 8 1st rounders so I'd argue you're a little closer to Earth on this one ;)

Last edited:
Did I mention anything about Buckley?
I was just pointing out that the people running our club may not be as astute as you think.
Just because someone gets a senior position doesn't mean that they are good.
I'm looking forward to seeing what GW has to offer.
I hear good things, but then again when I joined this board the catch phrase was "In Hine we trust."
That didn't age well.

I love the way that anything anyone else says is "ridiculous" or "stupid" or "nonsense", but anything you have to say is "obviously true", "stupid to think otherwise" etc.

Nearly every one of your posts contains a statement like that.
As once again you did in this post.

I never made a reference in the original post about how astute people at the club are.
If you look at my posts where I use “ridiculous” or similar wording you will see they relate to arguments offered that hold no weight, are selective or false, and almost entirely in relation to Buckley’s Coaching record.

it is completely absurd the way some people are caustically illogical in their criticisms of Buckley.

I can't wait til we sack Buckley, Clarkson turns us down and we end up with Ross Lyon, this place will literally meltdown

The cult that is Bucks supporters really confuses me. It’s like Trump, despite all the obvious evidence in front of them they keep defending him. Both had a good day a few years ago but have now broken the system and are trying to hang on using the same bs. If you upset the people in the cult by questioning anything the leader does then your a disloyal follower and need to be purged. The similarities are uncanny.

The cult that is Bucks supporters really confuses me. It’s like Trump, despite all the obvious evidence in front of them they keep defending him. Both had a good day a few years ago but have now broken the system and are trying to hang on using the same bs. If you upset the people in the cult by questioning anything the leader does then your a disloyal follower and need to be purged. The similarities are uncanny.
Some would argue the real cult is the cult of the figurehead, the magical coach that is responsible for all the mistakes of the recruiting department and the list management department, some would say this childlike need to scapegoat a figurehead releases the frustration of what is obviously a rebuild phase is the coaches primary function

A coach is as good as his cattle as Clarkson proved today

i think you’ll find it’s the FAKE NEWS that’s the issue.

The list management and recruitment (specifically trading more than drafting) departments, it's their responsibility. They made the wrong call constantly topping up to win that flag, every salary cap blunder came from that! and the dearth of players at the moment is because instead of letting Hine find value at the draft we threw those picks and gobs of dollars at aging injury riddled players in the hope they'd tip 2018/19 our way, it left no players coming through and a bunch of vets that were all going to drop off a cliff at the same time.

Last edited:
Some would argue the real cult is the cult of the figurehead, the magical coach that is responsible for all the mistakes of the recruiting department and the list management department, some would say this childlike need to scapegoat a figurehead releases the frustration of what is obviously a rebuild phase is the coaches primary function

A coach is as good as his cattle as Clarkson proved today
Ok so I see your one of them. The Buck stops at the top in all major organisations and bucks is the top in regards to on field success or failure. He takes the blame or the adulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back