Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Ok so I see your one of them. The Buck stops at the top in all major organisations and bucks is the top in regards to on field success or failure. He takes the blame or the adulation.
Evidently that buck doesn't stop with the people that blew 8 1st rounders or destroyed our salary cap, but hey you enjoy Ross Lyon and I'll enjoy watching you go apoplectic for the next 5 years

If you really want to replace Bucks then you don't get Clarkson, you pinch who Hawthorn wants to sign (Mitchell) but can't quite yet out of respect for a premiership coach, they'd be thrilled if we took Clarkson, double win for them

Seriously ask yourselves why Hawthorn would get rid of their supercoach in the first place, do the people closest to him think he still has that edge? If they get rid of him they obviously don't so why should we accept scraps past their use by date?

If you really want to replace Bucks then you don't get Clarkson, you pinch who Hawthorn wants to sign (Mitchell) but can't quite yet out of respect for a premiership coach, they'd be thrilled if we took Clarkson, double win for them

Seriously ask yourselves why Hawthorn would get rid of their supercoach in the first place, do the people closest to him think he still has that edge? If they get rid of him they obviously don't so why should we accept scraps past their use by date?

Hawks are in a worse spot than us. Going forward, they've got a terrible list. Whoever at the Hawks made the call to attempt a lightning quick rebuild with injury prone former high draft picks in their mid 20s should walk. He may already have walked ... to us ...But I'd assume it was backed by Clarkson. It suggests that they were after a quick fix rather than the long haul of a proper re-build. No coach who isn't willing to be head of a shit for a few years should be considered. I want a cheap promoted assistant whose salary will allow us an extra couple of development coaches to get the best out of the kids that we're going to have to try to re-build through. Who knows maybe he will be like Clarkson or Hardwick and predict and direct us to the next future wave of game style and work with the recruiters to target the trait that will help us dominate- it was kicking for the Hawks and pace for the tigers that they identified and targetted and built teams that dominated with. Good coaches are motivators and clever on match day, but ultimately they sustain success on one really good idea.

Go find someone in the industry other than Robbo that thinks he isn't, I'll even give you Caro
Treloar and Stevo probably don’t whilst neither would Seedsman. Lumumba and Shaw wouldn’t either.

Buckley is fool`s gold as a coach, speaks well, very articulate, but at the end of the day he does not cut the mustard as a coach, gifted player and an all time champion of our club, our romance and adoration of our past greats is a major reason we fail to reach the ultimate glory, we let our rose coloured glasses impair our vision, a determination to seek the best candidates for any position, be it the boot studder or the coach, we live in fairy land as we continue to look after the "boy`s" club, enough is enough, stop treating your supporter base with contempt and as imbeciles ,we are relevant, it is us supporters, members that makes us, it`s not one man`s club, be it Ed or Bucks, it`s the ones who are invested emotionally and financially that you represent every time you are given the honour of putting on that Black and White jumper.
He's not that articulate - uses a lot of jargon and is long winded - not good traits for someone who must communicate effectively to players and other coaches.

He's not that articulate - uses a lot of jargon and is long winded - not good traits for someone who must communicate effectively to players and other coaches.

Do you reckon he articulates his words like a cybernetic organism and that re?

Do you reckon he articulates his words like a cybernetic organism and that re?
He's hoping to recruit one of those as an upgraded ball movement coach.
PS do other clubs have ball movement coaches?

Last edited:
This whole notion that luck is real.. what a vlakia re.. wishing someone luck.. well.. whatever re.. you can use that shit as motivation.. to go out there and perform better.. everything has a probability and that re.. the probability that you will come across a biased umpire say for eg.. or some players or teams might have it harder or easier than others.. or you go over to the West and play.. the probability umpires will favour the Eagles is higher when compared to playing them at the G and that re.. well.. what do you do.. you prepare for it.. get in the umpires ear.. or perform harder at training.. or be sure to alert the group about it.. then go out and perform accordingly.

That's life re.. you come across people who are for or against you.. it's how you deal with em that's important.. luck has nothing to do with anything really. You look at Rocky taking on Drago in Russia and that re.. he won.. why?

You can look at it another way and say there's a crack in the pavement.. .5% chance of getting your foot caught in it and tripping over.. one day you do.. is that bad luck is it? No. It was your 1 in 200 moment. The probability was there all along.

Last edited:
He's hoping to recruit one of those as an upgraded ball movement coach.
PS do other clubs have ball movement coaches?

I don't think I've ever viewed Buckley as articulate.. there's a lot of Jack and Nick Riewoldt about him.. at a glance.. perhaps.. but you can see they all lack education.

I’m not aware that Coach of the Year is won in a raffle.
Nor that Finals , Top4 , PF or GF spots were part of the same raffle.
You could definitely argue Buckley was mediocre before 2017, but not since.
And recent form is the only form that matters.
Spinny, since round 7 of last year, we have beaten ONE top 8 team, eagles in Perth. ONE… That’s not even mediocre, that’s nothing short of horrible….. Pretenders comes to mind… So since 2017, 18 was great, 19 was competitive but not good, 20 was competitive for the first 7 rounds, then VERY poor, 2021?…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This whole notion that luck is real.. what a vlakia re.. wishing someone luck.. well.. whatever re.. you can use that sh*t as motivation.. to go out there and perform better.. everything has a probability and that re.. the probability that you will come across a biased umpire say for eg.. well.. what do you do.. you prepare for it.. get in his ear.. or perform harder at training.. or be sure to alert the group about it.. then go out and perform accordingly.

That's life re.. you come across people who are for or against you.. it's how you deal with em that's important.. luck has nothing to do with anything really.
Gary Player (golfer) - "the harder I work the luckier I get".

Gary Player (golfer) - "the harder I work the luckier I get".

Maradona has even said.. luck has nothing to do with anything.

It's your preparation that matters most.. going to a hostile environment like the West.. you've got to expect that in life.. there's going to be times.. where you're going to be up against.. fair or not fair.. it is what it is.. no excuses! Bad luck is bullshit! If it means you have to perform harder like Rocky.. well the opportunity is there.. you wanna **** around and complain.. about luck.. or you want to accommodate for it.. and step it up. You can't.. you lose.

That doesn't mean we just let the club / Buckley off scott free, the future is bleak and the fan base is rightly pissed off and will be until there is real tangible evidence of the team going back up the ladder in a positive way. How is the roll going by the way?
You’re stating the obvious.

Was told yesterday that when the Pies win Bcukley attributes it to his game plan, when they lose, its someone else's fault.

I was told the person who was the source, very reliable as they were often blamed.

He is doing what people under stress do, doubling down on stupid.

GW was not part of the decisions you’re taking about

Wright isn't the sole decision maker. He will have an opinion - but it's up to the idiots who have made more mistakes than a security guard at the Wuhan virology lab as to whether they agree with it.

other Clubs looking for Coaches would laugh at the ridiculous arguments used here to discredit Buckley’s Coaching record.

They will simply say one thing to each other "He has gone backwards every year bar one of his coaching tenure".

End of discussion. He will never get another position as senior coach. Hardwick and Clarkson, in contrast, improved each year after they were appointed. Hardwick had a single down year in 2016, then bounced back to win 3 out of the last 4 flags.

As to better credentialled possible coaches - I gave you a list pages back.

The argument of resumes in coaching has no relevance. Recent successful coaches were all untried. Hardwick, bevo, Simpson, Clarkson was. Is there a risk appointing a new coach? Of course there is, but doing the same and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Anyone that enjoys bucks game style then that’s fine, I have no idea how you can enjoy watching us play scoring max 60 pts a game, at best. We do not play a style that’s going to win flags. It’s not one destined for sustained success.

it is completely absurd the way some people are caustically illogical in their criticisms of Buckley.

Who has improved under Buckley since 2017, the only years you contemplate?

Grundy, Degoey, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Thomas, Sier and Cox are materially lesser players than they have been.

Daicos has improved, but he credited Hocking for that. As did Phillips. Quaynor came out of the blocks quite well, hasn't really improved since. Brown is paddling water. Cameron has shown a little bit this year. Maynard is better, but he credits another coach too.

Treloar has improved massively - shame it's under another coach at another club, which doesn't exactly help your specious argument, does it?

Have this team's skills improved? No.
Tackling? No.
Have players stopped constantly handballing to players in worse positions? No.
Can they score better? No.
Is there a better midfield connection with Grundy/Cameron? No.

Wright isn't the sole decision maker. He will have an opinion - but it's up to the idiots who have made more mistakes than a security guard at the Wuhan virology lab as to whether they agree with it.

They will simply say one thing to each other "He has gone backwards every year bar one of his coaching tenure".

End of discussion. He will never get another position as senior coach. Hardwick and Clarkson, in contrast, improved each year after they were appointed. Hardwick had a single down year in 2016, then bounced back to win 3 out of the last 4 flags.

As to better credentialled possible coaches - I gave you a list pages back.

The “each year he’s gone backwards bar one, argument” it’s been debunked by me endlessly and I don’t need to do it again.
Except to say when you climb from 13th to 2nd in a single season you knock out a lot of ladder positions.
I’m not going to subscribe to the naive view that a steadier climb, which would have improved your metric, would have proven Buckley is a better Coach.
That logic is 50 shades of dumb.

The climb from 13th to 2nd and staying competitive is what astute judges look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back