Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Which means your statement that you love the club more is a giant fib. You love the man more than the club. Whatever happens to the club you don't care as long as your man is the head coach.

I gave Buckley the benefit of the doubt until last year. Held him in high esteem as a great leader too, until the trade debacle. I now know it's all just an empty show.
Talking of trade debacle, what picks are we left with in the Nov draft?

None. They all going into Daicos and fall about 700 pts short as it stands. There’s work to be done, need trade some players for 3/4th rounders
Tks thought that was the case - more evidence of the club's geniuses at work?

News.com.au Round 11 2021 - “it was first time Collingwood failed to kick a goal in the first half at the MCG in 116 years.”

Damn!

They should stitch that record breaking stat on to his 'longest serving coach.. at the one club.. to not win a premiership since 1896' bathrobe re.

Last edited:
Which means your statement that you love the club more is a giant fib. You love the man more than the club. Whatever happens to the club you don't care as long as your man is the head coach.

I gave Buckley the benefit of the doubt until last year. Held him in high esteem as a great leader too, until the trade debacle. I now know it's all just an empty show.
I can assure you it’s not. I’ve got no problem with posters who think we should change coach in 2022. I don’t personally agree because I still believe Buckley is our best option.

“You look at it and you go, ‘0.7 at half-time,’ and you think, ‘We’re not playing that bad, we were in the game,’” Buckley said.

Don’t know what game he was watching, but that quote should be presented to the board as the reason that it’s time for a new coach.
There is no way graham Wright sat in the coaches box and thought “this looks good”. I only hope he listened to the commentary. Basically feeling sorry for us, and lamenting our ball movement. It was interesting to say the least.

“You look at it and you go, ‘0.7 at half-time,’ and you think, ‘We’re not playing that bad, we were in the game,’” Buckley said.

Don’t know what game he was watching, but that quote should be presented to the board as the reason that it’s time for a new coach.

But we were in the game. Its factually correct as evidenced by the fact we lost by less than two goals and were a genuine chance to pinch it with ten minutes to go.

I can assure you it’s not. I’ve got no problem with posters who think we should change coach in 2022. I don’t personally agree because I still believe Buckley is our best option.

I'm very open to change, these days more so, but can see why people would want Buckley to stay.

Anyone watch Hawthorn play yesterday? Nobody is suggesting that Clarkson can't do his job.

It's too simplistic to blame it all on the coach but I've seen enough to suggest that we could benefit with a reset.

Last edited:
Look at hawks list and ours, best 22 v best 22. You can’t say we don’t have more talent. And yet. We have the same wins. Hawks list is horrible.

I agree. Having said that our list is not what it was.

Plenty of evidence that the team could use fresh ideas in the coaches box e.g. seeing Daicos and IQ (2 of our better kicks and attacking players) do the sideways pass to a teammate under pressure in the 1st quarter yesterday.

Overall I believe the cattle play a far greater role than the coach does, Hawthorn being the perfect example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the issue at the moment between the pro Buckley supporters and the anti-Buckley supporters is that we're debating whether he is a good or crap coach. That debate is going to go anywhere as the views are too extreme.

I think we need to just acknowledge that Buckley has been a good coach in the last few years (esp 2018-2019) when we were mounting a genuine challenge for the flag. However, it's clear that his ultra defensive coaching philosophy no longer works in this new rules environment that makes it much easier to breakthrough zone defence. Which means we have to go super negative to negate that which just rules out any chance of fast ball movement.

It's clear his philosophy is no longer relevant for the current football environment so as a coach he's not the right person to take us forward. Doesn't detract from his legacy where he has managed to take the team 5 points from a flag. I've been a Buckley fan in the past but it's time for a change.

I think the issue at the moment between the pro Buckley supporters and the anti-Buckley supporters is that we're debating whether he is a good or crap coach. That debate is going to go anywhere as the views are too extreme.

I think we need to just acknowledge that Buckley has been a good coach in the last few years (esp 2018-2019) when we were mounting a genuine challenge for the flag. However, it's clear that his ultra defensive coaching philosophy no longer works in this new rules environment that makes it much easier to breakthrough zone defence. Which means we have to go super negative to negate that which just rules out any chance of fast ball movement.

It's clear his philosophy is no longer relevant for the current football environment so as a coach he's not the right person to take us forward. Doesn't detract from his legacy where he has managed to take the team 5 points from a flag. I've been a Buckley fan in the past but it's time for a change.
The most frustrating thing is that he refuses to change the game plan even though everyone in the world can see it's no good and is actually hurting our young players development. He needs to go now so that whoever takes over can allow the players to play with their natural flair and get ready for next year with a new direction

“NB: We want to win games of footy, but the feeling in the sheds is that we are playing a brand of football that we’re more confident in + more positive about, compared to 1-2 months ago. While that’s not getting wins, the players energy and enthusiasm remained for the match”

just set a record for lack of goals, continuing a trend for 18months and this is his presser comments. read what you will from that.

28DB1038-87C7-446F-A0D3-D421822AFD05.png

Damning.

I think we’ve completely obliterated the playing list, and that’s not the coaches fault.

But when you look at the numbers, something has to give. It’s uninspired, it’s boring it’s just plain unwatchable this side.

Yikes did he really say that hahaha

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some of those 2021 picks and corresponding poits points were traded to make sure we had 6 picks between 17 and 44 in 2020. We are in deficit partly because we identified McCreery and Poulter as gettable targets.
which years did the 2 x 1st round picks (?) we traded for Beams :( :( apply to?

But we were in the game. Its factually correct as evidenced by the fact we lost by less than two goals and were a genuine chance to pinch it with ten minutes to go.

We were never a chance to pinch the game. Who are you kidding.

The last flurry of goals was paper over the cracks.

We still needed two goals in 50 seconds ? That’s not in the game.

Good to know our game plan is now not kick a goal for a half of footy. Get within two goals in junk time and claim we were in the game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

“NB: We want to win games of footy, but the feeling in the sheds is that we are playing a brand of football that we’re more confident in + more positive about, compared to 1-2 months ago. While that’s not getting wins, the players energy and enthusiasm remained for the match”

just set a record for lack of goals, continuing a trend for 18months and this is his presser comments. read what you will from that.
NCB can't speak plain English?

We got in the game far too late, when we had no margin for error - sure enough, we make an error and they go up the other end and Hawkins kicks a goal.

That’s not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back