Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Doesnt make anything Buckley said about the position at half time wrong though... We were in it.

Technically he’s right, we were in it by virtue they hadn’t completely put the game away.

I reckon if we ran the numbers on how many teams didn’t kick a goal in the first half of a match but went on to win, it would indicate that 98% of the time, you aren’t in it.

But yes, in this one off example of yesterday, we were only 31 points down.

Doesnt make anything Buckley said about the position at half time wrong though... We were in it.
skills, skills, skills - set shots, turnovers - killing us .............. are the extra skills sessions making it better or worse?? - we need data and a detailed trend analysis of skill enhancement / accumulation strategies as we move forward in the next exciting phase of diversity and social equity :)

They should stitch that record breaking stat on to his 'longest serving coach.. at the one club.. to not win a premiership since 1896' bathrobe re.
Re, Ima stich 7-0 on your bathrobe re. That's the scoreline in Rome v Greece in wars. Thats a Seven and a zip re. 7 to nil.

Your turds names Buckley. He’s looking like an over dressed Christmas tree with the way you lap up his mediocrity

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t tend to name my turds. Good on you for having such a close connection with yours.

I agree. Having said that our list is not what it was.

Plenty of evidence that the team could use fresh ideas in the coaches box e.g. seeing Daicos and IQ (2 of our better kicks and attacking players) do the sideways pass to a teammate under pressure in the 1st quarter yesterday.

Overall I believe the cattle play a far greater role than the coach does, Hawthorn being the perfect example.
That all depends upon the instruction coming from the coaches box...

Do you think these players would get games week after week after week if they wilfully continued to ignore the coaches directive for 2 years?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That all depends upon the instruction coming from the coaches box...

Do you think these players would get games week after week after week if they wilfully continued to ignore the coaches directive for 2 years?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of course not, I used the examples of IQ and Daicos as a way of highlighting that they are instructed to play that way.

It’s time for a change. Let Nathan decide if he wants to steer the ship for the rest of the season, or give Rob Harvey a test run (no, I don’t want him to coach us next year, but considering he’s been an assistant for so long, he deserves a caretaker chance to impress other clubs).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want him to walk. I don’t want him to be remembered like this. Just go and enjoy your kids and new partner. You had a go, had highs and lows, but the clock is well past midnight and we need a change that you seem incapable of.
Well said - the Club must be bigger than anyone - this includes members / supporters / new players / potential players / coaches / managers / Board - the lot

It's the entity Collingwood Football Club that matters and atm it ain't being well served or well looked after by those who are paid quite big $$ to preserve, protect and enhance our position in the AFL competition - where being a competition, not an HR conference, it's winning that matters most.

“NB: We want to win games of footy, but the feeling in the sheds is that we are playing a brand of football that we’re more confident in + more positive about, compared to 1-2 months ago. While that’s not getting wins, the players energy and enthusiasm remained for the match”

just set a record for lack of goals, continuing a trend for 18months and this is his presser comments. read what you will from that.

I saw his presser and that comment stood out to me too. The chip sideways, backwards to maintain possession style he’s wanting us to play has been effective in the past as a means to find a way through a zone. However the rule changes brought in are designed to allow a team to move the ball quickly and not afford a side time to set up an effective zone. Our style is not taking advantage of the new rule environment.

Instead of trying to resurrect old ideas we should be looking to take advantage of the rule changes and develop a new style. Tactically we are stale we need some imagination and innovation.

I saw his presser and that comment stood out to me too. The chip sideways, backwards to maintain possession style he’s wanting us to play has been effective in the past as a means to find a way through a zone. However the rule changes brought in are designed to allow a team to move the ball quickly and not afford a side time to set up an effective zone. Our style is not taking advantage of the new rule environment.

Instead of trying to resurrect old ideas we should be looking to take advantage of the rule changes and develop a new style. Tactically we are stale we need some imagination and innovation.

Quoted for emphasis on how to make a great point about the state of Collingwood's coaching without insulting the coach.

Any FIGJAM type posts will just be deleted even if they carry sound logic otherwise.

We can do better.

FYI Anzacday Gone Critical Maggie5

But we were in the game. Its factually correct as evidenced by the fact we lost by less than two goals and were a genuine chance to pinch it with ten minutes to go.
We were never in the game. Junk time goals. Fools gold. So disingenuous. Buckley is doing exactly what a desperate selfish man would do. He spoke the very words I knew he would:
"We've been competitive against the top sides."
This is his argument which he will present at seasons end or whenever they decide his fate. Scoreboard mitigation is his sole goal. Not player development or letting kids play with freedom and instinct. Grind and suffocate so I can keep coaching.

To think I loved and defended this bloke so passionately throughout his playing and coaching career.
He is tarnishing his legacy with each passing week.

If we win a couple and kick a big score I don't want to hear one Buckley fan point to this as vindication of their support for Buckley. It should lead to further demand as to why we have endured such abysmal crap for so long.

Re, Ima stich 7-0 on your bathrobe re. That's the scoreline in Rome v Greece in wars. Thats a Seven and a zip re. 7 to nil.

Ti les re..

Talking about Alexander here re..

That tactical monoveue of how to beat Buckley's park the bus strategy I pulled it right out of the Alexander the Great tactical rule book re.. if you're gonna score heavily against a Buckley park the bus side.. create a diversion on one side.. then look to distribute the pill to the other side.. have a look at Geelong's first coupla sausage rolls.. Geelong were running with 4 on one side of the 50 m arc.. Buckley's bus moved towards em.. and that created easy opportunities to distribute the pill over to the other side for an easy sausage roll.. Alexander used this technique to a treat.. he would use his cavalry to create a diversion on one side.. then attack on the other. Same shit and that re.

Was going to post about how Alexander.. the greatest Greek of them all.. never lost a fight.. but got carried away.. and thought I'd make it about me.. and how much of a great I am.

Am I a great re?

Spot on - we have the worst ball movement in the comp and it's all on the coach - sums it up!

As much as l admire Bucks for all he has given the club, and deserves alot of respect for that, l cannot see him being offered a new contract. I'm sure the club heads realise a new direction is needed, particularly after the first half yesterday.
The players showed minimal desire or even effort, but when they did show some effort in the second half, they basically matched it with the Cats.
Interesting comments from Jordan Lewis, who said his good mate Mitchell will not be coaching at Hawthorn next year, but will be somewhere else....🤔

Like.. if you look up all of Alexander the Great's tactics.. then set up something that resembles a chess board or whatever and that re.. 18 on one side.. 18 on the other.. you can come up with so many brilliant game plans you can use in a game of football.. you probably won't ever lose a game re cause you're learning from one of the greatest chess players that ever lived re.

As much as l admire Bucks for all he has given the club, and deserves alot of respect for that, l cannot see him being offered a new contract. I'm sure the club heads realise a new direction is needed, particularly after the first half yesterday.
The players showed minimal desire or even effort, but when they did show some effort in the second half, they basically matched it with the Cats.
Interesting comments from Jordan Lewis, who said his good mate Mitchell will not be coaching at Hawthorn next year, but will be somewhere else....🤔
Wrighty does have some mobile nos linked to Hawthorn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back