Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Yep, we're playing the 2021 version of St Kilda watering the ground decades ago. With limited prospect of winning, we'll focus on "keepies off" defence. There's very little prospect we'll win too many games with our game plan, but we'll keep the scores low so we look competive.

There'll be a very large group of draft prospects at the end of this year, genuinely hoping they don't get drafted by us. This absolutely isn't helping us become a better side, either this year, or next.
There has been significant improvement over the past month though. Regardless of what you re saying, we have had a lot of injuries and are remaining competitive.

Because it's insulting and as much as I don't like Nathan's coaching, it wouldn't help my argument to use it.

All it does is give the blind loyalists ammunition. Don't use it (or any insult), just use common sense facts would be my advice.

In fact insults are not needed because the debate is not really a debate anyway, the results and what we see should've put the argument to bed years ago.
Only need 📉📈 to make the point :)

There has been significant improvement over the past month though. Regardless of what you re saying, we have had a lot of injuries and are remaining competitive.
Yep, lots of injuries - nothing new there, we always have lots of injuries.

The players might seem more engaged over the past month, and while that has made us more "competitive", I would honestly prefer to see the team play with flair and purpose, rather than this dour defensive garbage, even if we get spanked occasionally. I doubt our game style is going to make 2021 a memorable year for anyone involved in the club, from players through to members.

For all the diehard Bucks supporters, he's not doing himself or the club any favors by producing unwathchable footy. I'm not saying he's got any easy options, it's just the strategy he's taking isn't a good look for him or the club.

Yep, lots of injuries - nothing new there, we always have lots of injuries.

The players might seem more engaged over the past month, and while that has made us more "competitive", I would honestly prefer to see the team play with flair and purpose, rather than this dour defensive garbage, even if we get spanked occasionally. I doubt our game style is going to make 2021 a memorable year for anyone involved in the club, from players through to members.

For all the diehard Bucks supporters, he's not doing himself or the club any favors by producing unwathchable footy. I'm not saying he's got any easy options, it's just the strategy he's taking isn't a good look for him or the club.
We played with dare at the start of the year and it failed, and everyone complained. I much rather be competitive as it encourages players to grind out four quarters as opposed to being blown out by half time.

Also it is round11 andwe have played 6 of the top 9 and only played4 of the bottom 9. Id also argue GWS are better than their ladder position

We played with dare at the start of the year and it failed, and everyone complained. I much rather be competitive as it encourages players to grind out four quarters as opposed to being blown out by half time.

Also it is round11 andwe have played 6 of the top 9 and only played4 of the bottom 9. Id also argue GWS are better than their ladder position
I'm not with you entirely. I don't see much positive with playing this way.

My view is Bucks biggest failing is not surrounding himself with the best assistants possible, who challenge him and drive the playing group to improve. We had new coaching blood in 2018 with great results, now we've gone back to the same old senior assistant crew that have been there forever.
This isn't my idea of a progressive club. There needs to be change, and if Bucks isn't prepared to drive the change, then maybe it's in everyone's interest that the whole senior coaching group is replaced.

My view is Bucks biggest failing is not surrounding himself with the best assistants possible, who challenge him and drive the playing group to improve. We had new coaching blood in 2018 with great results, now we've gone back to the same old senior assistant crew that have been there forever.
This isn't my idea of a progressive club. There needs to be change, and if Bucks isn't prepared to drive the change, then maybe it's in everyone's interest that the whole senior coaching group is replaced.
Im not saying that shouldn't be the case. Im indifferent whether Bucks stays or goes. I think a fresh face is often a good thing. What Im defensive about is that bucks is not a bad coach. Id say he is a top 10 coach in the league who due to dodgy list management which he was apart of and continuous injuries, he has been dealt a very rough hand this year. For example even though we are 16th, I feel we are playing far better than St Kilda for example

It's actually a flawed and dangerous personality trait.. this mates and boys club mentality.. having the best man at your wedding as your assistant.. that's a trait that he'll carry with him in to 2022 and beyond even if Sando ain't there.. it's something we need to be wary of when it comes to staff and players.. and how he treats some of his stalwarts.. veterans or whatever.. when you're time is up as a player.. that's it.. these Dunn Reid Mayne Goldsack types.. passed their used by dates.. but still given a yr or 2 for what.. could have plucked a coupla beauties from elsewhere.. rookies or whatever. And say they ended up being lemons.. so be it.. we've lost 1 yr from the likes of Goldsack or Reid.. when we were in it to gain 10 yrs from a potential up and comer.

Last edited:
It's actually a flawed and dangerous personality trait.. this mates and boys club mentality.. having the best man at your wedding as your assistant.. that's a trait that he'll carry with him in to 2022 and beyond even if Sando ain't there.. it's something we need to be wary of when it comes to staff and players.. and how he treats some of his stalwarts.. veterans or whatever.. when you're time is up as a player.. that's it.. these Dunn Reid Mayne Goldsack types.. passed their used by dates.. but still given a yr or 2 for what.. could have plucked a coupla beauties from elsewhere.. rookies or whatever.

Everyone blames his “assistants” but he chose his assistants
It’s a boys club...he opted to keep his koumbaro over Boyd for example

Interesting comments from Jordan Lewis, who said his good mate Mitchell will not be coaching at Hawthorn next year, but will be somewhere else....🤔

Jordan said that he doesn’t think Mitchell would want a head coaching role so soon, whether it be Hawthorn or another club, but thinks he would like to get experience elsewhere in an assistant role to expand his knowledge.

There'll be a very large group of draft prospects at the end of this year, genuinely hoping they don't get drafted by us. This absolutely isn't helping us become a better side, either this year, or next.

The top end talent of the draft are definitely breathing easy in the knowledge we don’t have a top 10 pick this year.

Similar to any free agent. Even if we did have the salary cap space (which I doubt) no decent player in their right mind would sign on to come to this club.

Jordan said that he doesn’t think Mitchell would want a head coaching role so soon, whether it be Hawthorn or another club, but thinks he would like to get experience elsewhere in an assistant role to expand his knowledge.

The top end talent of the draft are definitely breathing easy in the knowledge we don’t have a top 10 pick this year.

Similar to any free agent. Even if we did have the salary cap space (which I doubt) no decent player in their right mind would sign on to come to this club.

I think we can market the club in a way.. where now.. if you're a bloke.. who's got ability.. you believe in yourself.. you can make a ****en difference.. we've got this great opportunity waiting for you to make a difference and become a real bloody legend.. players and coaches.

If we continue to piss fart around playing politics at the club.. then we're going to miss out on this golden opportunity to get it up and running.. the right way man.

In a way.. I'm glad a lot of this shit is out in the open.. because you would think there's at least a couple of well established clubs that are in a similar predicament to us.. but have not aired their dirty laundry.. so they'll cont to go about their business like idiots.. whilst we're now in a position to make the right moves.. so we better not ****en squander it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah so Mitchell won't be coaching at Hawthorn next year. I am hoping the GW has already reached out to him about coming across next year to be part of our revamped coaching group....

But we were in the game. Its factually correct as evidenced by the fact we lost by less than two goals and were a genuine chance to pinch it with ten minutes to go.

We were down by 31 at half time and hadn’t kicked a goal.... sounds like we were in a strong position to me.

We lost by 10pts only because Geelong’s accuracy in front of goal was terrible and they tuned out once the game was sealed and we kicked some junk time goals once we changed our game style to be quicker and more direct. Had we kept on playing the rubbish style from the first half then we would’ve lost by 30+.

He could come to us and expand his knowledge in how not to coach and run a footy department.

Ben Dixon on fox footy just called Nathan the next Clarko in terms of his footy IQ.

Seriously.....they’re all trolling us now and hiding it like they believe in it.

Ben Dixon on fox footy just called Nathan the next Clarko in terms of his footy IQ.

Seriously.....they’re all trolling us now and hiding it like they believe in it.
Was just going to say the same thing, fmd do these “experts” even watch the games or know anything. He said that bucks is very creative but he doesn’t show it on field. So he’s doing finger painting with Beams is he that’s he’s creativity.

"... I think the overarching feeling in the sheds is that we're playing a brand that we are more confident in and more positive about than potentially a month ago or two months ago," Buckley said.

Really, Bucks?

I think our game against Carlton was the only game I felt proud about as a fan, and the majority of the Brisbane game. The rest has been totally broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back