Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Because he senses he is a dead man walking? Out of dignity.
He knows there is every chance this is his last year. I doubt that will bother him. We need him to continue and to help bring on the next batch of young players.

No, but he's a loser though - at team level.
Lots and lots of individual awards.....
He has given all he has to our club. To call him a loser is weak.

A couple of observations here:

(i) I agree with JMac here - I don't think Buckley really worries about what the supporters think whether they be pro Buckley or not. And I don't think he ever has and why should he? These hysterical arguments that he can or can't coach are on the supporters only. I doubt he loses any sleep over it and nor should he,
(ii) The ongoing "can coach" argument based on a lost GF followed by lost PF and then finals is selective and flawed. Can he coach? F---ked if I know however I would suggest that any deliberation/conclusion should be based on a larger body of evidence being his entire coaching tenure. For me that gives him a 4-5/10. Each to their own of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely resigns rather than it being a forced one. After an off season from hell, I don't think he's as enamoured with the job as he once was.

Looks that way, his demeanor and body language, is not that of the confident, positive Buckley we have come to know, looks like a defeated man hiding under the resilient persona he has shown over both his playing and coaching career

You’re just so disrespectful. 26 years of service and you don’t rate that.

Mate I would suggest that Buckley doesn't need you to stand up for him in this regard, no matter how well intentioned. Respectful? Disrespectful? That's not for you to judge of others. If you respect him which you clearly do, then so be it and leave it at that. Suggest you don't judge others based on your own personal beliefs/views. It's not healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Ed was good for you (while he was good for you) when he was in the 'move with the times' mode.

Move from Victoria Park has paid massive dividends as was his first aggressive coaching head hunting of Mick from WC.

It is ironic in someways that he went back to the antiquated and less successful method of coach selection where you reward the favorite son.

Bucks was lauded for stepping back in 2018 and the success that you had that year. Did anyone here interpret that as the less coaching he imparts the better the team is and perhaps wonder if the team would be better with even less.

I thought Ed was good for you (while he was good for you) when he was in the 'move with the times' mode.

Move from Victoria Park has paid massive dividends as was his first aggressive coaching head hunting of Mick from WC.

It is ironic in someways that he went back to the antiquated and less successful method of coach selection where you reward the favorite son.

Bucks was lauded for stepping back in 2018 and the success that you had that year. Did anyone here interpret that as the less coaching he imparts the better the team is and perhaps wonder if the team would be better with even less.

Great post,but may your 1980GFVideo rot in purgatory

There are no facts that suggest Buckley will ever coach again. It's an opinion, like mine that no club will give him the top job.
Choco Williams is an actual AFL premiership coach and he can’t get a top job gig at a second club. No chance Bucks will coach again at the highest level if it doesn’t work out with us this season.

Mate I would suggest that Buckley doesn't need you to stand up for him in this regard, no matter how well intentioned. Respectful? Disrespectful? That's not for you to judge of others. If you respect him which you clearly do, then so be it and leave it at that. Suggest you don't judge others based on your own personal beliefs/views. It's not healthy.
I think that post is a nonsense. Liked your previous two though. Of course we can judge the posts of others as disrespectful. Doc's post smacked of disrespect. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

How does having Harvey or Sanderson as caretaker help the club?

Imagine this board if Bucks stands down at round 15, Harvey takes over. We win the last 8 games of the season to narrowly miss the finals on percentage. Due to his success as caretaker, Harvey is appointed as senior coach on a 5 year contract - Had to give him 5 because Geelong were interested

Imagine this board if Bucks stands down at round 15, Harvey takes over. We win the last 8 games of the season to narrowly miss the finals on percentage. Due to his success as caretaker, Harvey is appointed as senior coach on a 5 year contract - Had to give him 5 because Geelong were interested
:sick:

This post nearly made me vomit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back