Hawkers

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Let me know what you think?

Most of you probably know what I think. I've been calling him out for the last two seasons.

I questioned why Clarkson would take the best forward we have, who has kicked 100 goals in a season, who loves playing forward and kicking goals and moving him away from the goals?

I question why Clarkson refuses to recruit a big bodied backman. He inherited Croad and thank goodness for that. We're constantly smashed by the oppositions big forwards. The answer that was given from the recruiting team is that the coaches don't believe the game is heading that way.

I question why does Clarkson continue to reward players that clearly have no future; also not dropping players that aren't contributing.

I question his match day coaching

So - should he go now?
You'll give him till the bye this year?
You'll give him till the end of the season?
Stick with him next year no matter what?

Also this poll is anon for those of you that don't want everyone to know your vote

He's here to stay. He did enough last year, now he has a few years to renegotiate the next contract.

We have a premiership calibre list. In 2009 he was slow to adapt his gameplan and we missed finals. In 2010 he was slow to adapt his gameplan and we started the season 1-6. In 2011, he devised a gameplan that couldn't beat the best sides. In 2012, we have a gameplan that doesn't stand up against good sides.

He is doing his best to stifle Lance Franklins influence on games as well. We are probably going to see a repeat of 2009 this year. Those are the facts. Three and a half years of excuses. Time to go Al.

i think he has had a pretty good run. in his 7th year now i think. if we let him go now after 3 years of sub-par performances (if you rate our list that highly) the i think you could say he had a pretty good run.

He is contracted for a couple of years I think...

Regardless what anyone thinks, the poll is kind of irrelevant with that fact in mind.

He can still be sacked with a contract

If we do not make top 4, which looks like will happen after today's sh.t, then I think clarkson will be in a little trouble.

You give him this season to do something. You can't from going from 1 kick away from a gf, to middle of the road. So it's preliminary or better this year or clarkson, sorry the whole club has failed................BIG TIME!

If this year goes like 2009 or even 2010 i hope that we thank Clarko for his services but then make a break no matter the cost. We need to take the bull by the horns like Freo did last year. They thought Harvey wouldnt take them to a premiership and they made a big play.

Maybe someone can put some feelers out to Malthouse. Surely we would be the perfect fit for him.

I dont want to waste anymore years. Four wasted years isnt good enough when we should be a consistent top 4 side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless, I would at least like to see Buddy and Cyril left in the forward line permanently and kicking goals, even if we lost that would still make me happy.
For 3 years now I have watched Buddy standing under the long bomb with 2 opponents hanging around his neck and it shits me to no end.

He's got the entire year to turn things around, but I tell you I'm getting sick of spinning our wheels and going nowhere since 2008. Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Sewell and co aren't getting younger, and Buddy is in his prime years.

Can't believe the genuine talent we have and years that just keep slipping by. I swear I've lost most of my hair in the shear frustration of these past years. :(

Needs a game plan thats not too convoluted, that gives our forwards a better than even chance against the best opposition, that doesn't

necessarily need individual feats of brilliance to win games (although they're nice to see) and can be adapted when things aren't working. (see Sydney)

Like Yabby once said "Football players are like sausages, you can fry them, you can grill them and you can BBQ them, but in the end they are still just sausages"

get them to do what they do best without confusing the issue

Had we not won the flag in 2008 I wonder how Clarkson's career would now be looking... would he still be coaching Hawthorn do you think?

Oh jeez, I wonder where Mark Thompson would be if he hadn't turned Geelong into a team that has dominated for nearly 6 years. Maybe he would've been sacked? :eek:

But seriously. I'm as upset as any of you, but I think the calling for Clarko's head at this point in time is a little premature. Maybe look at some of the players who are doing nothing. Let's all breathe a little, come back tomorrow and see how we're feeling.

FWIW I'm not sure anymore whether we'll finish top 4 either, I just think it has to do with more than the coach.

bookmark it! you heard it here first!

if a disastrous start to the season ensues, clarko will announce a 'REBUILD'. this time-honoured tactic of coaches seeking long tenures and evoking the rebuild rule will score clarko the job for another 14 years. this will end damaging speculation, and bring much needed 'stability' to the club.

Needs a game plan thats not too convoluted, that gives our forwards a better than even chance against the best opposition, that doesn't

necessarily need individual feats of brilliance to win games (although they're nice to see) and can be adapted when things aren't working. (see Sydney)

Like Yabby once said "Football players are like sausages, you can fry them, you can grill them and you can BBQ them, but in the end they are still just sausages"

get them to do what they do best without confusing the issue

This. My biggest bugbear at the moment with the way we play is we continually try to be too clever by halves with the game plan. We have a 100 goal forward and a 75 goal forward - play them there. And this crap they spurt about spreading the load/dont want to rely on them too much is exactly that - the reality is we wont win anything without Franklin, plus pretty much every team that "spreads the load" doesn't have 2 dominant forwards. Also when you run them round in the middle they both seem to have blown up 10 minutes into the last.

Good to be ingenuitive and all that but sometimes simplicity is best.

This. My biggest bugbear at the moment with the way we play is we continually try to be too clever by halves with the game plan. We have a 100 goal forward and a 75 goal forward - play them there. And this crap they spurt about spreading the load/dont want to rely on them too much is exactly that - the reality is we wont win anything without Franklin, plus pretty much every team that "spreads the load" doesn't have 2 dominant forwards. Also when you run them round in the middle they both seem to have blown up 10 minutes into the last.

Good to be ingenuitive and all that but sometimes simplicity is best.

Yep this. If I were Buddy Franklin I would want a trade and wouldn't want to be playing under a coach who is trying to stifle my career. Who would want to be a once in a generation player playing under a coach who is trying to limit his influence on games? It's a ****ing farce and I am over it.

From his record since 2008....I'd have to say yes....that botch up last week with Hill being sub was one of the many bad calls hes made....Shoey at FB/CHB....pets like Ozzie/Bateman/Bruce/Young...getting games....when in bad form...wonder how someone like a Mick Malthouse/Leigh Matthews would go....they've got a proven track record.....Mick is a multi premiership coach and is well respected..knows the game inside out..would be my preference....

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Clarkson's time up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back