Is Clarkson's time up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dissapointing thread, but somewhat typical of what happens following a bad loss.

It's easy to blame the coach.

but it's also a reaction to a perceived under-performance for 3 years and 5 games now, not just the recent loss. following a loss is probably the best time to do it. how hard would it be to get traction with something like this following a win? it's hard enough a after a narrow fade-out loss.

from what i've seen it's actually not easy to blame the coach, because usually when you do you can expect to be criticized for not being a coach yourself, or not understanding the 'structures' or game-plan, or being a fair-weather fan, or just hurting from the loss, or being too reactionary.

It's not a just a matter of its easy to blame the coach. You can't honestly say that Clarkson is getting the best out of this team? Or is he? Are we an 11th on the ladder. Forget about the fixture and the umpires. Just look at the team and what we have achieved thus far.

We are not playing 4 quarter football and we're not beating the contenders and we're letting games slip that we're ahead in.

Agree,mentally weak unfortunately
when was the last time hawks played 4 decent quarters of footy in 1 game?

Shite thread... good work

+1

Sack the Boooaaardddddd !!!!!
Let's trade Buddy, Roughy & Cyril and get some good young talent!

Or maybe just support the team and get ready for the long haul ...

Should I be addressing the one where we lost a Prelim by a kick?

Echols. Were trying to make sense of this team. We go in at half time and were 20pts up. We don't score at all for the 3rd and we get rolled by 7gs in the last. We're supposed to be premiership material? I'm scratching my head.

We look like we don't want to WIN! I watched the Rich v WC game after and the tiges got more fighting spirit than the Hawks. Is this the players or the coach or both. We're missing an element here.

Clarkson's time is far from up. These early losses might end up being a blessing in disguise as it is a cold reminder to the playing group that they have plenty of work to do this year. We have plenty of room for improvement and some key players coming back, including Bailey who makes a massive difference to our midfield. 2-3 is hardly a great start, but it's not exactly panic stations just yet.

We have versed 4 of the best teams in the competition so far and lost to 3 of them. Two were close games and this one was in Tassie where we may have a good record but we still never play well there.

Knee jerk reaction to a bad loss as per usual. Schoenmakers was copping it round 1/2 and then has been very good since.

It's not a just a matter of its easy to blame the coach. You can't honestly say that Clarkson is getting the best out of this team? Or is he? Are we an 11th on the ladder. Forget about the fixture and the umpires. Just look at the team and what we have achieved thus far.

We are not playing 4 quarter football and we're not beating the contenders and we're letting games slip that we're ahead in.

If I was the opposition I would be saying. It doesn't matter how far Hawthorn get in front. We are going to reel them in and were going to win it..even if it is going to be close. I can imagine Longmire/Scott/ and other coaches saying this at half time. Now that's not a great standing point for the club.

Soemthing needs to change.

The problem with this thread and all the others started immediately after a loss is they are all based on emotion.
When people are emotional they lose the ability to think rationally and this sort of crap comes out.
I don't agree with it at all.

Honestly.... it is not that hard.... We have the best two man forward setup - Roughhead & Buddy. They are our forwards... No Hale... No McCauly in the forward line. Leave them two there, get it in quick and we will kick more goals than the opposition. Pretty simple.

Don't overthink it clarkson.

Honestly.... it is not that hard.... We have the best two man forward setup - Roughhead & Buddy. They are our forwards... No Hale... No McCauly in the forward line. Leave them two there, get it in quick and we will kick more goals than the opposition. Pretty simple.

Don't overthink it clarkson.

Clarko needs to take a leaf out of Chris Scotts coaching book...keep it simple!

Clarko needs to take a leaf out of Chris Scotts coaching book...keep it simple!

Exactly...

2 forwards (not Hale) in the forwardline & 3 or so smaller/quicker types to support them & to keep it in there, giving us multiple chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should I be addressing the one where we lost a Prelim by a kick?

And the two years prior and this year to date.
Last year is the minimum that this team should be achieving. If Clarkson goes
08 - Huge Hit
09 - Big Miss
10- Huge Miss
11 - Pass
12 - ??

Where do you put him?
Remembering that he has admitted that he was too slow to adapt to change. That, right there, is wasting the talent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was it Clarkson that told Franklin and Hodge to add some more weight in 09 or 10?
How'd that work out

As plenty of people have said it seems that we have a problem in the coaches box. Let's sort it out

Hale is looking more and more like an absolute bust of a trade :( Every now and again he teases with some performance, but the other 80% of the time he is glacial in speed, and has ZERO impact on a game. Hooray, he's a nice straight kick! What a shame he only gets 6 or so kicks a game and hurts us terribly around the ground (he's not even taking the contested marks he ocassionally took last year anymore). Cannot be in the side at the same time as McCauley.

I think he has earned the right with 7 solid years service to the club, to at least be given to the end of the season.

He must go at least as far as last year to remain at the club in my mind (i.e. prelim final week) unless we cop a raft of injuries which provides excuse for not advancing that far.

Clarko has what should be the BEST fwd trio in Buddy-Rough-Rioli at his disposal, and he is seemingly doing everything possible to stifle them from having a consistent impact. Leave them in the fwd 50 get your HFF's to play high to the wings and clear out and get into into those guys. They would wreak havoc.

Buddy should venture no further than 60metres out from goal. No questions.

Dissapointing thread, but somewhat typical of what happens following a bad loss.

It's easy to blame the coach.

What's Clarko's Win loss record take away 2008?
What's Malthouses? What's Thompsons? ooops thommo got 6 wins in a row against us...
We are sadly becoming the next Western Bulldogs or Richmond and we've got more talent than them...
Who picks the players? Who comes up with the game plan? Who sets their roles?
2-3 is a big fail...considering were supposed to be favourites....if we can't beat top 4 teams now..fat chance will beat them september....:thumbsdown:

Hawks have lost to Geelong and West Coast by less than a kick (2 top 4 sides) and today had there first bad performance and already a great deal of fans want to sack the coach? From an outside perspective its really quite sad especially coming off such a good season last year

Hawks have lost to Geelong and West Coast by less than a kick (2 top 4 sides) and today had there first bad performance and already a great deal of fans want to sack the coach? From an outside perspective its really quite sad especially coming off such a good season last year

I think you are probably right mate but expectations are high. I may not react like that but i can see hy others would. It was a poor performance starting on field all the way to the coaches box. But as they say in football there is always next week

And the two years prior and this year to date.
Last year is the minimum that this team should be achieving. If Clarkson goes
08 - Huge Hit
09 - Big Miss
10- Huge Miss
11 - Pass
12 - ??

Where do you put him?
Remembering that he has admitted that he was too slow to adapt to change. That, right there, is wasting the talent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was it Clarkson that told Franklin and Hodge to add some more weight in 09 or 10?
How'd that work out

As plenty of people have said it seems that we have a problem in the coaches box. Let's sort it out

While last year was a pass, when you look at it, we played 6 games (including finals) against other eventual top-4 teams for 1 win. So let's take our 1 kick away from a GF into context.

2-3 is a big fail...considering were supposed to be favourites....if we can't beat top 4 teams now..fat chance will beat them september....:thumbsdown:

Sydney were 2-3 after five rounds in 2005, as were Geelong at the same point of 2007. This idea that our season is shot based on a poor half of football is Chicken Little stuff.

And was it Richmond surging or West Coast waning tonight? Two teams fought a slog last week and both dropped off after half time.....how about that.

Your excuses are irritating and his coaching is pathetic....sick of seeing us underachieve and make no mistake we are going backwards. we're not talking about a couple of players no performing we are talking about a whole team and has been for some time now - fyi a coach is responsible for that.

While last year was a pass, when you look at it, we played 6 games (including finals) against other eventual top-4 teams for 1 win. So let's take our 1 kick away from a GF into context.

QFT
6 char

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Clarkson's time up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back