Is every others teams supporters hatred of Eddie McGuire justified?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the collingwood syndrome. You like to feel like people hate you, your club and your president because it makes you feel special or 'elite'.

I left a message on his mobile hanging shit on him after a Pies loss and he actually rang back to abuse me. Hilarious, and it made me feel slightly more important.

Its the collingwood syndrome. You like to feel like people hate you, your club and your president because it makes you feel special or 'elite'.

This is the third time someone has said this in this thread. Is this the reason year after year we get voted the most hated team in the AFL?

Anyways, I have seen a lot of derogatory comments towards Eddie on this board so the responses to this thread have been a pleasant surprise. I don't wish everyone to hate us or Eddie. He is a great president and any club would love to have somebody as hard working and passionate working for them.

I feel the same way about our players. I really wish people would stop hating and acknowledge that Dale Thomas is a great player :D :D

I don't like Eddie. I acknowledge he's done a good job at collingwood but he's arrogant and an egomaniac. Which incidently is why he suddenly seems back to himself after failing and being shot down from an actual tough job running channel 9. Bad Call Packer. The bloke could talk under water - as long as its about collingwood. Im sure he does lots of good things too but he just rates himself too highly.

Can't take any criticism. When Hawthorn annihilated Collingwood in the membership total this year, all he could do were make pathetic excuses about things like Tassie members (when Collingwood have 3 game MELBOURNE members) and having pets for members (something Hawthorn has never done).. Why not just congratulate another team and admit that Collingwood isn't perfect?

All those lost Grand Finals must be taking their toll

Would love someone like that running the saints however, still not such a fan of how he speaks...

The guy basically saved the Collingwood Football Club when he took over. All the off-field success and limited on-field success the club has had can basically be attributed, albeit non-directly, to him becoming president. I know it sounds like I'm overstating his influence, but the Pies were in a terrible place in the late nineties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloke is just a man of passion, he is not paid for the his job like all presidents puts his heart and soul into it.

Ill never forget after the sydney win this year the great man ran into the cheer squad yelling CARN the PIES!!

In his position he also understands footy better than most, I would rather listen to his opinion than any of the commentators because he is still involved in footy and understands what goes on at the football club, unlike guys like Radar and Walls and Quarter of a brain.

When he speaks I listen, usually because I learn something, anyone hear him talking about the free agency yesterday? Talked about it in terms I hadn't even thought of.

It's the stories about his control freak nature at Collingwood that puts me off the man, cracking down on dissent, not being able to absorb criticism . . . There is a fragility, that he covers up with bluster and righteousness.

Having said that, he is a good fit for Collingwood.

Maybe lacks a bit of perspective . . .

I liked him a whole lot more after he was interviewed about the Buckley / Malthouse succession.

Journo: "When did you think that you had the deal done?"

Eddie: "When Caroline Wilson said it couldn't happen!"

Nearly fell off my chair laughing at that one.

Eddie represents what's great about Australia. He is a excellent example of how a fat, ugly, poorly spoken, bogan from the outer suburbs can brown nose, squirm and stomp over people to get himself to the top. And once at the top, not only hoodwink the ruling classes into giving him some sort of soapbox as he speaks "like the man on the street", the dim witted public at large falls for his "working class charm" whilst the fat man counts his money.

What a grand country we live in.

He's done plenty for Victorian clubs not just Collingwood. Has taken the AFL head on with the salary cap concessions, has helped poorer clubs secure prime sponsorships including Collingwood which was a basket-case before he took over. The Lexus deal was genius.

I don't like Eddie. I acknowledge he's done a good job at collingwood but he's arrogant and an egomaniac. Which incidently is why he suddenly seems back to himself after failing and being shot down from an actual tough job running channel 9. Bad Call Packer. The bloke could talk under water - as long as its about collingwood. Im sure he does lots of good things too but he just rates himself too highly.

Strange comment coming from a guy who barracks for a team who's led by the biggest egomaniac and arrogant guy around.

As for his time in Sydney, he had a lot of people white anting him and the way the Sydney press treated him was disgraceful. He was always doomed to fail because Ch.9 made him carry out all the tough decisions the Sydney bosses were too gutless to do.

At least he had a go.

As for Eddie Everywhere, if you didn't watch Ch.9 for about 7 hours a week, you would never have seen him.

Eddie represents what's great about Australia. He is a excellent example of how a fat, ugly, poorly spoken, bogan from the outer suburbs can brown nose, squirm and stomp over people to get himself to the top. And once at the top, not only hoodwink the ruling classes into giving him some sort of soapbox as he speaks "like the man on the street", the dim witted public at large falls for his "working class charm" whilst the fat man counts his money.

What a grand country we live in.

Who's Eddie stomped over Papa?

I'm questioning what sort of country we live in when uneducated dribble like this is spoken like it's fact.

He's been the most effective club president of the past decade or so. He's passionate about his club, and rightly so. I suspect we'd all like to have him at our clubs ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Is every others teams supporters hatred of Eddie McGuire justified?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back