Is it just me or is the NRL boring!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

the red baron said:
as someone brought up on aussie rules i agree, i love the nrl and most matches i see are fantabulous.......much better than boring soccer.

afl fans only say that because they feel frightened of the nrl, scared that it might take over one day so they go around saying league is boring trying to convince themselves........and give themselves a feel good factor, a bit like a security blanket........you know, as long as you keep repeating the mantra the evil spirits will be kept away. :D

melburians are very insular and inward looking.

It's football, not soccer. It's not boring. Just ask 4 or so billion people who are obsessed by it. AFL only has to worry about the round ball game, not NRL

realfootball said:
It's football, not soccer. It's not boring. Just ask 4 or so billion people who are obsessed by it. AFL only has to worry about the round ball game, not NRL
What has Australian soccer achieved in the last 30 years, if anything?

realfootball said:

4 billion? put a lid on it! Just how popular is Soccer/International Football in India and China anyway?

littleduck said:
but the greatest achievement in 30 years is arguably the A-League!

How so? because it has been slightly successful for 6 weeks?

Monkster said:
How so? because it has been slightly successful for 6 weeks?
I'm not one that's been known to watch a game of Soccer, but i think it is unarguable that the A-League represents Australian soccer's biggest step forward in trying to create a national competition. I think the A-League has the potential to create more interest in soccer than say a world cup entry in terms of sustained interest, but the A-League really needs to be able to retain the best Aussie soccer talent to become a true success, and i can't see that happening with the best players heading for Europe.

dr nick said:
I'm not one that's been known to watch a game of Soccer, but i think it is unarguable that the A-League represents Australian soccer's biggest step forward in trying to create a national competition. I think the A-League has the potential to create more interest in soccer than say a world cup entry in terms of sustained interest, but the A-League really needs to be able to retain the best Aussie soccer talent to become a true success, and i can't see that happening with the best players heading for Europe.

It is a big step forward, but if it ends up failing than it's not a very big acheivement do you get what I mean?

from someone who has seen every rugby league GF since 1981, i thought this year's GF was quite disappointing compared to other recent GF's. there was a moment of brilliance with Pat Richard's try but, overall the match was flat. I thought the cowboys approach to the game once they were behind into the 2nd half contributed to a poor spectacle. they tried to score of every play instead of building a platform to attack.

unfortunately, both major GF's this year were disappointing. the AFL benefitted from its closeness towards the end. the swans should have won that game prior to half-time.

Name one NRL player that could play AFL, zero. NRL is the worst sport in the world, one of the most boring, dull and predictable. It is dieing out thank christ, AFL is Australia's sport not NRL, sooner it dies the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

savagE_hawk said:
Name one NRL player that could play AFL, zero. NRL is the worst sport in the world, one of the most boring, dull and predictable. It is dieing out thank christ, AFL is Australia's sport not NRL, sooner it dies the better.
Alot of fullback could very easily i think. Lockyer could, he can kick n catch. You reckon AFL players could all play NRL?

You hope League dies out? You're a sad man, there is more than one code in this country!

savagE_hawk said:

Plenty of nrl Players could change over to play AFL I could say all the guys names but you wouldnt have a clue ya arrogant one eyed pee brain...

Oh and goign by the TV rating the NRL is growing not dying lol

savagE_hawk said:

Yep it's dieing and how i wish it continues to do so.

Over 4 million watched the NRL GF, i'd hate to see it if it was doing well :thumbsu:

Monkster said:
4 billion? put a lid on it! Just how popular is Soccer/International Football in India and China anyway?

Massive in China. National team is treated like gods.

India, not so big, but growing. Yes we all know about cricket as the big one there

Y2eel said:
Plenty of nrl Players could change over to play AFL I could say all the guys names but you wouldnt have a clue ya arrogant one eyed pee brain...

Oh and goign by the TV rating the NRL is growing not dying lol
Ratings were going to be very high for both codes given the actual teams that were playing. The real examination though is the regular game crowds and ratings, not one-off specials. even so, huge rating results for both codes.

A hell of alot in the past 2 years. Briefly

Lowy taking over the FFA
Appointing O'Neil as CEO
O'Neil bringing virtually the entire ARU team with him
Establishment of key sponsors for the A-league and national team
Entry into Asia
3 year Foxtel deal
Secured financing for 5 years for each A-league club
20K plus crowds for teams like Sydney FC and QLD roar.
As of today, Packer looks like he is going to do a TV deal to see socceroos go on Channel 9 for Asian championships
Massive inroads into the media. I can only vouch for Sydney, but things like Football fever in the tele and equal coverage or more so than AFL and NRL in SMH

Want me to keep going?

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
What has Australian soccer achieved in the last 30 years, if anything?

Lowy taking over the FFA
Appointing O'Neil as CEO
Entry into Asia
3 year Foxtel deal
As of today, Packer looks like he is going to do a TV deal to see socceroos go on Channel 9 for Asian championships
Massive inroads into the media. I can only vouch for Sydney, but things like Football fever in the tele and equal coverage or more so than AFL and NRL in SMH
Securing some high profile players for the A-league

Want me to keep going?

realfootball said:

Lowy taking over the FFA
Appointing O'Neil as CEO
Entry into Asia
3 year Foxtel deal

Want me to keep going?
Good that's soccer's going well but it's hasn't exactly captured the imagination of everyone though. Media-wise, not here in Melbourne, although the early crowds are good so far. Can't say anything for the other states of course.

realfootball said:
Massive in China. National team is treated like gods.

India, not so big, but growing. Yes we all know about cricket as the big one there

Hrmm didn't know that about China I humbly apologise, I knew it was big in Japan/Korea (judging by the last World Cup) didn't know about the rest of Asia.

Y2eel said:

Name some....

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or is the NRL boring!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back