Coach Is it time for Dimma to go?

Is it time for Dimma to go.

• Yes

Votes: 97 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst he was a wonderful coach and a great person Tommy never coached another Premiership after leaving Richmond. Time moves on for everyone.

Hafey got good improvement at every club he coached. His coaching performance after leaving Richmond was very strong.

Not a lot in this…but watching the VFL on the weekend the whole Gold Coast coaching staff were there watching at the ground.

Also at quarter time and three quarter time of the senior game, all the Gold Coast coaches grouped together out on the ground to converse before splitting into their respective lines.

Watched our coaching staff just go to their groups without meeting or chatting together. Could very easily be doing it up in the box before coming down…

Obviously this isn’t something I can say with any knowledge of the situation and it’s only an observation…but the gold coast coaching staff looked to be much more involved with each other on the weekend the what I could see from ours.

Our VFL team is functioning exceptionally well all things considered. The performances v Casey and Carlton were superb given what we had on the park. V Suns our boys played well enough, they just met a team with I think 21 AFL listed players versus us about 6. They were just far too good for us, especially in the key positions.

That is not entirely true. You do realise how the soft cap works?
You can pay over the soft cap. You just pay cents on a $ for when you go over. It’s only really a guide and not a hard and fast cap. So using the soft cap is only an excuse.
Would be fiscally reckless to pay overs as a member I wouldn’t be supporting it

Our VFL team is functioning exceptionally well all things considered. The performances v Casey and Carlton were superb given what we had on the park. V Suns our boys played well enough, they just met a team with I think 21 AFL listed players versus us about 6. They were just far too good for us, especially in the key positions.
Yep I agree. But my point wasn’t so much about the form of the VFL team. It was more about the GC coaching staff setting the tone of the day for the whole club.

Something I thought our club was a mile off on the weekend.

Flattest vibe I’ve felt at a Richmond game for a long time.

I’m still on the Dimma bandwagon at the moment (I mean, 3 Premierships and 1 minor Premiership and all that), but I have one concern about his coaching. Why is it that we start the season averagely in most years under him?

2010: 0-9 in the first 9 Rounds
2011: 4-1-4 in the first 9 Rounds (pretty decent
2012: 4-5 in the first 9 Rounds
2013: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds
2014: 2-7 in the first 9 Rounds
2015: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds (after starting 2-4 in the first 6 Rounds)
2016: 3-6 in the first 9 Rounds
2017: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds
2018: 7-2 in the first 9 Rounds
2019: 6-3 in the first 9 Rounds (ended up 7-6 at the bye with our season in danger of slipping)
2020: 5-1-3 (started the season 1-1-2)
2021: 5-4
2022: 4-5 (we were 2-4 at around 6)
2023: 1-1-5 as of Round 7

This is definitely our worst start since 2014, but the point is that we’re usually better in the second half than we are in the first half since making our first final in 2013.

We had decent to good starts in 2013, 2017, and 2018. Our Premiership years weren’t that bad either for the most part. Other than that though, our starts have been quite ordinary. We rarely go above a mid-table effort of 5 wins in 9 rounds. Even in our Premiership years, our form in the second half of the season was much better than the first half.

I think Hardwick is really good if not one of the best coaches at adapting to changes within season. We could even see that before the Premiership run. I just don’t think he’s very good at reading where the game is going the following season. Perhaps that’s the reason why it usually takes us until round 6 or 7 to start gaining form.

TL;DR - Hardwick is a pretty good coach in adapting, but people need to know that apart from 2017 and 2013, he’s not very good at trailblazing or knowing where the game’s going the next season. That’s why our form at the beginning tends to be worse than at the end in my opinion.
Way too early to be calling for his head though. We’re bad at the moment, but not close to that bad.

I’m still on the Dimma bandwagon at the moment (I mean, 3 Premierships and 1 minor Premiership and all that), but I have one concern about his coaching. Why is it that we start the season averagely in most years under him?

2010: 0-9 in the first 9 Rounds
2011: 4-1-4 in the first 9 Rounds (pretty decent
2012: 4-5 in the first 9 Rounds
2013: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds
2014: 2-7 in the first 9 Rounds
2015: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds (after starting 2-4 in the first 6 Rounds)
2016: 3-6 in the first 9 Rounds
2017: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds
2018: 7-2 in the first 9 Rounds
2019: 6-3 in the first 9 Rounds (ended up 7-6 at the bye with our season in danger of slipping)
2020: 5-1-3 (started the season 1-1-2)
2021: 5-4
2022: 4-5 (we were 2-4 at around 6)
2023: 1-1-5 as of Round 7

This is definitely our worst start since 2014, but the point is that we’re usually better in the second half than we are in the first half since making our first final in 2013.

We had decent to good starts in 2013, 2017, and 2018. Our Premiership years weren’t that bad either for the most part. Other than that though, our starts have been quite ordinary. We rarely go above a mid-table effort of 5 wins in 9 rounds. Even in our Premiership years, our form in the second half of the season was much better than the first half.

I think Hardwick is really good if not one of the best coaches at adapting to changes within season. We could even see that before the Premiership run. I just don’t think he’s very good at reading where the game is going the following season. Perhaps that’s the reason why it usually takes us until round 6 or 7 to start gaining form.

TL;DR - Hardwick is a pretty good coach in adapting, but people need to know that apart from 2017 and 2013, he’s not very good at trailblazing or knowing where the game’s going the next season. That’s why our form at the beginning tends to be worse than at the end in my opinion.
Way too early to be calling for his head though. We’re bad at the moment, but not close to that bad.

I think it’s our pre season preparation since 2019.

We faded late in 2018 so they changed our pre season going into 2019 so we would peak later in the year, it worked in 2019/20 but we still had heaps of injuries early in those seasons but we got our players back later in the year and peaked, we’ve tried the same the last 3 years but the early season injuries have just killed us and put us too far behind.

I think it’s our pre season preparation since 2019.

We faded late in 2018 so they changed our pre season going into 2019 so we would peak later in the year, it worked in 2019/20 but we still had heaps of injuries early in those seasons but we got our players back later in the year and peaked, we’ve tried the same the last 3 years but the early season injuries have just killed us and put us too far behind.
I get that, but the only season I think that was a factor in was 2019. We had the COVID shutdowns in 2020 so no one was really prepared for the season when it restarted.

I recall that we had the exact same issue with our starts in 2014-2016 though. We’d pull up with a new gamestyle that didn’t work and then changed it after 6 rounds. Riewoldt’s infamous comments about us trying to copy Hawthorn came in that time (lol). Because this isn’t a new issue, I am concerned about his ability to come up with a revolutionary style that opposition coaches struggle with because he’s failed to do that in most of the years that he tried. Only succeeded in 2013 and 2017 IMO.

But he’s still good at tinkering and adapting the gamestyle to counter what others are doing, which is why I still think he’s a good coach. He’s done that so many times over his tenure that I don’t have any concerns about it.

I think it is more about our list.

We need more youth and talent.

We need to get some draft picks in, top ones

The focus should be on development
I certainly do think that availability of players has had a significant bearing on where we are , lynch out and we’ve lost 4 games 4-24p . He kicked 63 goals last year plus our 2 highest rated draft picks are on LTI , can’t take a trick
Still it’s a time to take stock of where we’re at , we’re not finishing top 4 this year

Not if it brings success on the field. Think of it as an investment, with a successful football team comes bigger crowds, more merchandise sales, bigger sponsorship dollars etc etc.
If I was in the board I’d say convince me with examples of premiership clubs that have had to do that to get an edge , I don’t believe any club does it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i agree we need 7-8 picks inside the top 10

OK now how do you get them

Plenty of players can be traded out.

Taranto and Hopper are going well enough and they are young enough so they would help be part of our continual base.

The Hawthorn approach did not work, is Dimma prepared to trade out to sure up RFC's future??

And to get top draft picks we would need to keep paying the players salaries we trade like a Tom Lynch.

Tom Lynch to GWS etc.. is obvious. If we trade a few players to GWS we might be able to help them win a premiership with Toby Greene and co while we develop. They are familiar with Kingsley, a few in a group going would not present that much of a change in terms of day to day surrounds and Sydney is not that far from Melbourne especially considering they are flying around regularly as well

The question about the coach is really about is Dimma prepared to shift the deck chairs or not? I do not think we want to sink like the titanic and wait another 30 plus years, we want a headstart on youth stimulus and development so we can rebound strong in the medium term.

If the club needs to pivot and the list with it, is Dimma prepared to do it or not? If not we are pigeon-holed and in a sinking malaise

Last edited:

Taranto and Hopper are going well enough and they are young enough so they would help be part of our continual base.

The Hawthorn approach did not work, is Dimma prepared to trade out to sure up RFC's future??

And to get top draft picks we would need to keep paying the players salaries we trade like a Tom Lynch.

Tom Lynch to GWS etc.. is obvious. If we trade a few players to GWS we might be able to help them win a premiership with Toby Greene and co while we develop. They are familiar with Kingsley, a few in a group going would not present that much of a change in terms of day to day surrounds and Sydney is not that far from Melbourne especially considering they are flying around regularly as well

The question about the coach is really about is Dimma prepared to shift the deck chairs or not? I do not think we want to sink like the titanic and wait another 30 plus years, we want a headstart on youth stimulus and development so we can rebound strong in the medium term.

If the club needs to pivot and the list with it, is Dimma prepared to do it or not? If not we are pigeon-holed and in a sinking malaise
Dont beat around the bush and play with words as you are only tangling yourself up and looking stupid

We have 3-4 players that would get a 1st rounder and they are all young players that we wont trade

How do we get 1st rounders , Which players go for what picks

Simple question

I think it is more about our list.

We need more youth and talent.

We need to get some draft picks in, top ones

The focus should be on development
how about we start simple and just win a few games

If I was in the board I’d say convince me with examples of premiership clubs that have had to do that to get an edge , I don’t believe any club does it

Carlton Collingwood and Geelong definitely do. A good mate of mine who is an assistant at a Melbourne based club interviewed at both Carlton and Collingwood for AC jobs and they were rather open about it.

I think we are stuffed; I love everything Dimma has done for us but he can be very stubborn, I can't see us going down the youth path.

Choosing that path would end the careers of Tom Lynch (30/31), Dusty (31), Prestia (31), Pickett (31), McIntosh (29), Vlastuin (29), Grimes (32), Broad (30). You would be asking these guys to continue playing without any hope of making finals for the next few years while our list develops.

Baker, Taranto, Short, D. Rioli, Balta, Hopper, Gibcus, Bolton, Ryan, Graham, Cumberland & Sonsie would have to take on the responsibility of leading the way (12 players). The other youth on our list are unknowns as we haven't really seen anything from them to suggest they are the answers to the older guys above.

Our list IMO is half full. If we choose to go down the youth path, we would need 10 decent picks on top of what we have now. Considering not all picks are success stories you're looking at 4 or 5 years and that's if we pick well.

Dimma wont last another 4 or 5 years if he chooses to go the youth path. I personally believe he will coach this year and again next year, if the wheels fall off again next year (Highly likely) he will pull the pin and we will then have a complete overhaul of our list at the end of 2024 and a new coach.

It would also give the club a 2 year head start to rebuild before Tassie take all the top picks.

I think we are stuffed; I love everything Dimma has done for us but he can be very stubborn, I can't see us going down the youth path.

Choosing that path would end the careers of Tom Lynch (30/31), Dusty (31), Prestia (31), Pickett (31), McIntosh (29), Vlastuin (29), Grimes (32), Broad (30). You would be asking these guys to continue playing without any hope of making finals for the next few years while our list develops.

Baker, Taranto, Short, D. Rioli, Balta, Hopper, Gibcus, Bolton, Ryan, Graham, Cumberland & Sonsie would have to take on the responsibility of leading the way (12 players). The other youth on our list are unknowns as we haven't really seen anything from them to suggest they are the answers to the older guys above.

Our list IMO is half full. If we choose to go down the youth path, we would need 10 decent picks on top of what we have now. Considering not all picks are success stories you're looking at 4 or 5 years and that's if we pick well.

Dimma wont last another 4 or 5 years if he chooses to go the youth path. I personally believe he will coach this year and again next year, if the wheels fall off again next year (Highly likely) he will pull the pin and we will then have a complete overhaul of our list at the end of 2024 and a new coach.

It would also give the club a 2 year head start to rebuild before Tassie take all the top picks.

Some of those mentioned in their 30s will likely will be gone at year's end, so we'll be going youth me thinks.

Some of those mentioned in their 30s will likely will be gone at year's end, so we'll be going youth me thinks.

Grimes, Prestia? who else from that list above? We already know Cotchin and Riewoldt will retire thats why I didnt name them.

If we go down the youth path this season, I'd be surprised, not while Dimma is still coach.

They're the two most likely.
Dusty perhaps.
Some speculation re Broad going home to WA.

Still cant see it happening, Dusty wont retire, he will see his contract out (2024) then pull the pin. Broad to WA is just like Baker to WA last year, just made up talk.

Dimma will have to be sacked before we go the youth path and we already dont have a 1st round pick. Gale wont sack Dimma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Is it time for Dimma to go?

Back