Is Joel Selwood overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

A very good player in an extremely talented side is how i see him. The way that geelong play the game they could make even an ordinary player look pretty good. Ask yourself this question would Selwood be classed as good if he didn't have an Ablett, Bartel, Corey etc around him?

Byrnes is an ordinary player... he still looks shit to me.:p

The number 6 in the comp came from the players didn't it? I'm sure they would know better than us who is most valuable to a team. Having said that I read that Troy Selwood gave 3 votes to his brother Joel and another vote to his brother Adam :D.

The bloke is a deadset gun, his ball winning ability, agility and maturity on the field is as good as anyones.

Selwood bandwagon is driven by media, in particular the Triple M team, which I think has inflated his worth. Potential wise, he definitely can be in the top 3 players as soon as next year, but we are talking about this year.

Thoughts?

So all the players that gave him votes only did it because the media,in particular Triple M [your words] pump him up.If that's the case then how did Neon not win the award ? He blinks and Triple M cream their dacks.

He is a dead set gun.

And we are very lucky 6 other clubs were foolish enough to pass on him.

Think of him what you will, he will just go out and dominate. Never seen a kid hit the packs that hard.
Very over-rated... it's not like he is the #1 midfielder and getting tagged..

will be good, but he has had the best environment around him and gets a nice easy run

imo atm he is not better then the names you named but he is a star and one day proberly will be as good if not better, imo not over rated coz he is going ot be a star

Do people realize that he was voted 6th in the MVP out of a possible 48 players not the whole competition?

Of the players nominated he was 6th and good on him for getting the recognition of his peers. He was also voted 3rd for the most courageous and that is one thing you can not question about Joel.

he is the best player uner 21 in the comp without a shadow of a doubt but he is nowhere near 6th best player in the comp. he's not even 6th best player at his club (i'd put ablett, bartel, scarlett, corey, chapman and johnson all ahead of him). i think the reason he tends to get a bit overrated is (and i don't mean that to take anything away from him, it's not his fault what people think) because he is so damn hard at the ball and all footy lovers love nothing more than to see a player put their body in as hard as they can to win the pill. he certainly has enough potential to one day be among the top 6 of the comp but will have to improve his disposal by foot, clearance work, overhead marking and goalkicking while he will never develop the ability to burst out of a pack and carry the ball 20 metres he could still become a champion of his era and i have no doubt he will one day captain the pussies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this too.

I'm astounded that he came sixth, honestly I was one who subscribed to the theory the Leigh Matthews Trophy was more credible than the Brownlow. But now I'm not so sure.

I mean Bartel, Ablett, Corey and arguably Johnson & Scarlett had a better season than Selwood. And that's JUST from his own team.

Super, super player though.

Versatility, ability to play under pressure, skill, leadership, courage, respect for all players, and overall value to a team.

All taken into consideration when voting for the MVP. Selwood excels as all of them.

If it were to be completely about the best player in the comp maybe it would be called the AFL players association player of the year award instead of the MVP.

the number 6 in the comp thing is subjective like all of these arguments.

i dont think he's overrated at all. but i could care less about top 6 stuff.

great player. gonna be a star!

is a star already you mean

Wouldn't have hiim top 6 - actually would just be top 6 in his own side.

however that is no disgrace

but not top 6 - but the guy is a genuine gun midfielder - as good a start to a career as any player before him

There was 3 players from each club nominated for the MVP.

They weren't the 3 best players from each club who were nominated.

From Geelong Ablett , Corey and Selwood were nominated, Corey and Selwood are not the 2nd and 3rd best from Geelong.

But if you think he is over-rated you should watch the lad some more and see what us Cats supporters see. The boy is good, very good.

Like someone else wrote over hyped maybe but definitely not overrated.

p.s If we make the grand final he will win the Norm Smith.:thumbsu:

He was voted 6th most valuable, not 6th best. Most valuable does not mean best.

and from only 48 players not 600.

The kid is an absolute gun, no doubt, but like all players that play in really successful teams, their worth is pumped up a little more.

Shit it was not long ago that some West Coast players were 'stars' riding on the back of two or three great team years.

You could argue he's not even top 5 at Geelong but that doesn't make him overrated. His rating is based on what he's achieved in just two seasons of football and what he is likely to achieve throughout his football career.

And I doubt people would think he was overrated if he didn't play alongside the likes of Ablett, Bartel and Corey.

has he ever been tagged?

I saw him play a few weeks ago and the commentators mentioned it was the first time they saw selwood tagged (against sydney I think), he really struggled and had zero impact on the game even though it was another landslide win to the cats.

He is a gun junior, no doubt. But until he shows that he can break a tag than he is not just overrated but grossly overrated. Cats fans need to get their hands off it when discussing selwood.

I dont think he is overrated at all, I think he is as good as everyone else does, and in general the public, media and Geelong supporters all rate him the same, and that is very highly.

However, Im sure most agree that he wasnt 6th best this season

I saw him play a few weeks ago and the commentators mentioned it was the first time they saw selwood tagged (against sydney I think), he really struggled and had zero impact on the game even though it was another landslide win to the cats.

1) He had 25 touches that night, all whilst being tagged by one of the best in the business, Brett Kirk.
If that's 'struggling', then you must have awfully high expectations for the kid.

2) It wasn't a "landslide win" at all. It was a tough, hard game.

He is a gun junior, no doubt. But until he shows that he can break a tag than he is not just overrated but grossly overrated. Cats fans need to get their hands off it when discussing selwood.

Cats fans?

The media (and now his fellow players) pump him up as much as any supporter does.

Are they all wrong?

Joel Selwood is a young gun, there is no doubt about that. But, number 6 player in the comp? Surely not. Just think about this, he was voted in ahead of Bartel, Hodge, Pav, Riewoldt, Browndog, Black, Scarlett, Cooney, Deledio (I would argue he had a better year in a lesser team) and Cox.

Selwood bandwagon is driven by media, in particular the Triple M team, which I think has inflated his worth. Potential wise, he definitely can be in the top 3 players as soon as next year, but we are talking about this year.

Thoughts?

Flog.

He's a midfielder, so judge him against midfielders.. you mention Hodge, Black, Cooney, Delidio... he has them all on toast... too bad if you haven't watched him this year, but I can tell you that it is virtually impossible to split the totally dominant midfield of Ablett, Bartell, Corey, Selwood, Chapman, Ling, et al...

for a 2nd year player Selwood is lightyears ahead of his co-draftees and will be a 2 year player with 2 premierships very soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Joel Selwood overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back