Is Joel Selwood overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Joel Selwood is a young gun, there is no doubt about that. But, number 6 player in the comp? Surely not. Just think about this, he was voted in ahead of Bartel, Hodge, Pav, Riewoldt, Browndog, Black, Scarlett, Cooney, Deledio (I would argue he had a better year in a lesser team) and Cox.

Selwood bandwagon is driven by media, in particular the Triple M team, which I think has inflated his worth. Potential wise, he definitely can be in the top 3 players as soon as next year, but we are talking about this year.

Thoughts?
i would put him ahead of those players this year most deffinately

He and Gibbs will clearly be the best two smalls to come out of their draft class, Selwood has more runs on the board but hard to split as to who will be better long-term.

Should be a fixture in top 20 lists for the next few years (definite top 50 player already).

Ablett and Bartel (who I rank as their best, and the best footballer in the country) are both well ahead of him as footballers though. But gee that's nothing to be ashamed of.

It's all subjective. I really doubt the all the players would put a great deal of thought into the votes they give. And so some voting would be crap. Every single different voting sytem on TV, radio, press and even club voting would bring out different ratings for players so you can't think that this particular voting system would deliver your best 6 players in the comp for the year. I even heard Scott Burns talking the other day and he said he gave 3 votes to Joel Corey but i see you don't mention him in your list of players. So it all subjective and players have different opinions just like everyday public does.
As far as Selwood goes, I think it is with such ferocity that he plays that he receives the accolades. I think his limitation is his foot skills at times and especially being able to to kick goals. But for a kid who is only in his 2nd yr of AFL footy, he seriously has been very very good. I can't remember a guy who has such an impact just through guts & determination for such a young age. Sure Judd was phenominal but that was his pace and skill that did that. Selwood doesnt have anything extraordinary like that, just pure G&D.

So by my rekoning most (including cat's fans) agree that he's not in the top 6 players in the comp.

But, if has been voted the 6th best player in the comp then yes he has been over-rated hasn't he???

I'm confused.....

So by my rekoning most (including cat's fans) agree that he's not in the top 6 players in the comp.

But, if has been voted the 6th best player in the comp then yes he has been over-rated hasn't he???

I'm confused.....

He has been voted most valuable you twit.

Can't you read? Most valuable, not best.

Valuable

Valuable

Valuable

Read it three times over until you learn the word.

A very good player in an extremely talented side is how i see him. The way that geelong play the game they could make even an ordinary player look pretty good. Ask yourself this question would Selwood be classed as good if he didn't have an Ablett, Bartel, Corey etc around him?

I actually think HE probably makes those guys look better.

I'm sure you don't want to watch last years GF again, but if you did you would see how much he rammed your hard bodies around the contests. In my eyes he was bloody close to 'norm'.....in his first year.

Could not care less who thinks he is over rated, you'll notice soon enough, the AFL players have felt his presence.

Watch closer, that hack McQualter tried to tag him.
what do you mean tried, he got mauled selwood only got 20touches, and most of those after geelong pulled away...he added nothing to the geelong side at the weekend....probably his second bad game for the year...(the other one against Collingwood)

originally posted by PUSSIES_07_FLAG Re: Is Joel Selwood overrated?

He has been voted most valuable you twit.

Can't you read? Most valuable, not best.

Valuable

Valuable

Valuable

Read it three times over until you learn the word.

What's with the attitude.....do you have the ability to debate without being such a rude, ignorant flog?

To my mind there is not alot of difference between being voted the 6th most valuable player in the comp, or being the 6th best player in the comp. We're talking semantics surely...I mean is it even worth getting into an argument about and getting away from the purpose of the thread which was to debate whether Joel was over-rated based on the fact he'd been voted 6th in the MVP award????

So Pussies 07 Flag is he over-rated? Or do you think he's the 6th MVP in the comp? What is it? Instead of bullying about sematics how about you answer the question....Or are you afraid that you might actually have to admit that your champion 2nd year player may actually be over-rated???

What's with the attitude.....do you have the ability to debate without being such a rude, ignorant flog?

To my mind there is not alot of difference between being voted the 6th most valuable player in the comp, or being the 6th best player in the comp. We're talking semantics surely...I mean is it even worth getting into an argument about and getting away from the purpose of the thread which was to debate whether Joel was over-rated based on the fact he'd been voted 6th in the MVP award????

So Pussies 07 Flag is he over-rated? Or do you think he's the 6th MVP in the comp? What is it? Instead of bullying about sematics how about you answer the question....Or are you afraid that you might actually have to admit that your champion 2nd year player may actually be over-rated???

There is a big difference to be honest. Between the two words valuable and best.

Players obviously rate the value of Selwood.

So young, so tough, so committed to the contest. As one of Geelong's low-tier midfielder his value is massive to our side.

Fantastic player! I look for him more then i look out for Ablett or Bartel.
I dont get melb radio over here, so its purely based on what i see on the screen.
Although, it has been said before, its better to be a rookie in a good team, then a rookie in a bad team. If that influences is rating, im not too sure. But id imagine him being in a carlton or a richmond shouldnt affect it that much.
He just has 'grunt' written all over him :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people are labelling him overrated.

He walks into a midfield that has become the best in the country - you don't think he's a fairly integral reason why this is so? He's not some seagull receiver who waits around the back of packs for easing pickings. Outside Max Rooke he's probably the hardest player in our team when the ball is in dispute. Just look at the way he stood up when Ablett was out of the team - alongside Bartel, he was our best player during that period. He was outstanding in pretty much all the games in which Ablett was absent.

So didn't give me this overrated balderdash. The very fact that he stands out as a hard nut and overall a pretty clinical finisher in the best midfield in the land is testament to the fact that he is definitely not overrated. He is rated exactly as he deserves - as the best young midfielder in the game and one of the best dozen to twenty going around.

Pretty remarkable for a second year player.

Lets not get too carried away with "what the players think". A quarter of his votes came from the Brisbane Lions, where his brother plays. MVP voting is a farce.

Which shouldn't take away from the fact that he is a very, very good player, but don't use "the players obviously rate him" as a reason.

Strangely enough he's probably one of the few players running around that isn't overrated by his own supporters (eg. Reimers & Dale Thomas) because everyone can easily see and quantify his huge contribution to the Cats midfield.

what do you mean tried, he got mauled selwood only got 20touches, and most of those after geelong pulled away...he added nothing to the geelong side at the weekend....probably his second bad game for the year...(the other one against Collingwood)

Selwood got mauled? Haha

20 disposals, 4 tackles, 5 clearances and 4 inside 50's.

Yeah, he was terrible :rolleyes:

(the other one against Collingwood)

You mean the game he had a massive 14 contested possessions? Wow.

Jimmy Bartel isn't being tagged consistently this year.

Does that mean he's not a 'good enough player' to justify a tag? Or does it simply mean that teams can't tag everyone so have to pick their poison?

.........by people like you.

His peers seem to rate him pretty highly.

My point exactly. He is playing in the most dominant team in history, a team that regualarly resets the afls possesion records. I reckon I could get 25+ possesions if I was playing in the cats midfield.
I have far more respect for gibbs because he has proven that he can play well in an average side and beat a tagger, two things young selwood hasnt.

My mate is a cats man and he reckons JS will win the brownlow- I think people are getting a little bit carried away by a kid who really hasnt proven anything.

I would rate selwood on the same plain as priddis 2007. Much hype about priddis 2007 with the likes of judd cousins and kerr in the midfield, take judd and cousins + kerr for most of the season out and priddis seems to have dropped a few pegs, still a good player but not as highly rated. Im not sure if selwood would drop like priddis 2008 if you took out bartell and ablett completely and ling for most of the season next year.

I think its pretty much fact that star players make good players around them play better.

Alright, i think he'll win the brownlow because of his NIB commercial :p "..what the hell, whats he doing with that ball.....how the hell?!...."

They do, but Joel is something special. In three-four years time he will be as good if not better then abblet/bartel.

He isn't in the top 6 of the comp at the moment, prob not in the top 20 so they have overrated him, but not much people in the footy public overrate him. he deserves it.

Yeah I think he is overrated also.

Yes he has had 2 great seasons, but sides have the same dilemma against Geelong like they did with WCE a few years ago. And that is your cant tag them all.

Most clubs are going to try and tag Ablett, Bartel or Corey first. Selwood is free to run around and do what he likes. Just like Chad Fletcher did with WCE.

I would love to see how he would have gone if he first 2 seasons were with Richmond, Melbourne or Cartlon.

Put it this way;

In 2006 we were horrible, our mid-field was one paced and we were going nowhere.

In 2007 we won the flag, and our midfield became the best in the competition.

The only notable addition to our midfield over that period of change?

Joel Selwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Joel Selwood overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back